Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana mountain goat (pic heavy)

mtmiller

I am not much for storytelling, but obviously not afraid to throw out lots of pics.:D

I feel like crap this morning from the first cold I have had in years, but some lick from Wisconsin had to wake me up at 7, so I might as well post some pics of my hunt.

For those of you that don’t want to wade through a bunch of pics to get the money shot, here is a pic of my 2008 Montana mountain goat on the ground.

p1050611__large.jpg

More pics to follow.

Home sweet home for 3 nights. The last night it was very cold. I was pretty dehydrated so filled the water bottle and when I woke up at 2 am and it was frozen solid. After beating the crap out of the bottle and prying on my ski boot like Lowas to get back to the creek I was back in business. Cold, but back in business.

p1050715__large.jpg

First morning up the mountain. Cloud layer was pretty low and when it did clear from time to time I was not able to find goats where they were in July (go figure).:D

p1050390__large.jpg

Visibility, but nothing to see.

p1050408__large.jpg

Looking the other way. Still no goats yelling "over here, over here".

p1050416__large.jpg

I started the morning somewhere waaaaay down there.:D
p1050409__large.jpg

Well nothing in this basin, better head up through the saddle and see what is over there.

p1050470__large.jpg

A little steep at the saddle, but I made it through. Woulda sucked breaking an ankle while trying to beat the 10 second timer on the camera.:D

p1050692__large.jpg

Once on top, I found this guy. I didn't really like where he was...or where he could end up. I moved on.

p1050528circle.jpg

p1050555__large.jpg

Only a 1/4 mile further, I spotted a few goats and got down to glass one bedded in an opening. Small white dot above, 1 o,clock of the obvious goat (at the base of the rocks). I was trying to decide whether the one was a billy when this other guy walked out right in front of me.:eek:

p1050596__large.jpg

I am far from an expert on judging goat horn length, but am an expert on knowing when I am having a good time and when I would be happy to take a critter home. This one will fit the bill.

p1050597__large.jpg

He was probably about 70 yards and had no idea someone was watching.

p1050602__large.jpg

Alright, enough pictures. Time to get the job done. Last picture before I put the camera away and flipped off the safety.

p1050606__large.jpg

I shot this guy at 62 yards. I put the crosshairs low in the chest and squeezed the trigger. He bucked and I lost him in the trees. I watched escape zones for a couple minutes to make sure he wasn't going to give me the slip and then headed down to where I lost sight of him.

Cool, he went about 15 yards and piled up at the base of a tree.

p1050623__large.jpg

There were 3 or 4 other goats on this mountain that I spotted before I spotted this guy. I lost interest glassing up there after the fact.:D

p1050627__large.jpg

Life is good.....but now the real work begins.

p1050648__large.jpg

Two days and three trips off the mountain and I am shot. Not many pictures taken after this point. Not sure I could have seen much through the view finder anyway with the sweat pouring off. :D

At least finding a scenic water fountain was not a problem.;)

p1050700__large.jpg

One of my most fulfilling hunts, but for now I am very happy to be sitting behind the computer.

Hopefully feeling better by tomorrow as I think Axl is a little pissy for not being invited and wants to chase some ducks this weekend.

This state don't suck.:D

Another Wow. That's an awesome goat and sounds like a perfect outing. Congratulations!

Great "Before and after" photos of the goat. You gotta love that.

Congrats on a great hunt and nice job working that hard by yourself to accomplish something most only dream about.

Congrats.

Hunt of a lifetime miller. Who says you can't tell a story, that one was pretty good.

Back