Montana Moose Sheep and Goat results!!

Call me mtmiller jr!

Looking for a good goat recipe.

As stated previously, hard to find one of those...LOL
I killed a goat back in 2006 and I am a much better wild game cook now and have a goat tag again this year. I still remember how darn tough that nanny goat meat was. Taste was perfectly fine but tough, tough, tough. Hoping to sort out better table fare options this go-round. I am not one to turn a critter into a giant pile of sausage. I bet using sous vide followed by very quick sear on grill will be a big help to more tender Mt. Goat meals, And low/slow smoking.

Another year, another point. Pretty young in the game though so I can't complain. Although I consider myself to be in the "I really didn't want to draw this year either" category for numerous reasons - want horses first, just had a baby, etc. etc. I was still hoping just maybe. I can't imagine the excitement of logging on and seeing one in the successful category. Good luck on the hunts to those who drew, post pics if you can for the rest of us!

Well I hit the lottery and drew a moose tag. Or not!!! Technically I did, messed up my app and drew a cow tag. I drew and killed a good bull when I was 16 or 17 so not the end of the world except from 10 am until about an hour ago thought I had a bull tag. Going to contemplate very seriously about either doing the wounded veteran tag donation or just make it a very fun hunt for me and my 3.5 year old son to do together.

Well I hit the lottery and drew a moose tag. Or not!!! Technically I did, messed up my app and drew a cow tag. I drew and killed a good bull when I was 16 or 17 so not the end of the world except from 10 am until about an hour ago thought I had a bull tag. Going to contemplate very seriously about either doing the wounded veteran tag donation or just make it a very fun hunt for me and my 3.5 year old son to do together.
There happens to be a disabled vet from CO on the forum who has been applying for cow permits for several years if you decide to go that route. I don’t know that you can guarantee he’d be the one to get the tag but that is an awesome gesture on your part if you decide to go that route.

There happens to be a disabled vet from CO on the forum who has been applying for cow permits for several years if you decide to go that route. I don’t know that you can guarantee he’d be the one to get the tag but that is an awesome gesture on your part if you decide to go that route.
I honestly can’t say which route I will go but if it is a donation, and maybe this is the wrong way to look at it I would at least want confirmation from fish and game that there is someone lined up to use the tag. I wouldn’t expect to be able to stipulate who uses it or how but I dont think it’s unreasonable to ask who the recipient would be.

I had that same attitude in the '70s and '80s when we could buy an unlimited sheep tag and a grizzly tag for $25 apiece. When I lived up north of Kalispell I thought it was too far to drive across the state to hunt the unlimited sheep units near Yellowstone, and I never really hunted a grizzly, just hoped I'd shoot an elk and come back and find a griz on the gut pile.

Then when I moved down within 100 miles of the unlimited units, I'd buy a tag and just go in for a long opening weekend hunt. No big deal, if I didn't kill a ram, I'd just buy another tag the next year. Some years, some of the units were open the full three month season without filling their quotas. One year I even passed on two legal rams because I wanted one bigger. I actually tossed a small rock underhand and hit one and they ran off. "They will be bigger next year" I said to myself (and actually one was! 😁).

Then they closed the season on grizzlies, and the unlimited quotas filled earlier and earlier, more people are buying tags and some areas are actually crowded, and other unlimited units were changed to only limited draw units. We didn't know how good we had it. I can foresee in the future that our kids or grandkids will say "When grandpa hunted here they had unlimited sheep tags."

The bio largely responsible for the unlimited areas is old enough to retire and has been for some time. I get sad just thinking about what might happen when he does.
The only bright spot is that if there is one thing FWP likes, it is money, and the unlimiteds make a bit of that for them.

I only burned 4 points so it wont hurt as bad as it did for you. Im also 29 right now, so hopefully between Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho I'll have a chance at a ram tag at some point before i bite the dust...
Ewes are tough in that unit without a boat. Hunt downstream from the Ferry in a boat and its a slam dunk. There are very few if any ewes along the river upstream.

More realistic than me at 409 🤣
I was #2 or 3 last year and #12 or 13 3 or 4 years ago, with no call, after the first round of calling the hot line every 2 or 3 days I learned a lesson, don’t get your hopes up, the worst part is knowing that u were that close to drawing that tag.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard that before.
My bad it's not the bonus point money that goes towards a particular species but it is the Super Tag chances that do. At least that's my understanding from talking with some warden friends of mine. For example the Super Tag money that is brought in for say the bighorn sheep tag goes towards that species and is used for studies and other projects like I stated.

Good morning gentleman, no joy for this old hunter. The anticipation is always sky high yet no joy. Therefore, I will concentrate on elk and deer. I do have a friend that drew an unlimited tag and we are in the planning stages. This should be interesting given that we both will be 73 yrs. young during the hunt. What could go wrong? Our wives are starting a pool to see who has a heart attack first. Go figure, my wife is talking upping my life insurance. Hmmmmm.
The supertag drawing will be in a July. You never know. Somebody has to win. To those who drew I say congratulations and have a grand adventure. To those that did not draw, there is next year. So, keep the faith and look forward to the upcoming big game season with high expectations. MTG

I honestly can’t say which route I will go but if it is a donation, and maybe this is the wrong way to look at it I would at least want confirmation from fish and game that there is someone lined up to use the tag. I wouldn’t expect to be able to stipulate who uses it or how but I dont think it’s unreasonable to ask who the recipient would be.
That would be super impressive to donate a moose tag. I donated a deer tag and when I sent it in added a note along with my phone # saying I would love to see what it got attached to. They guy coordinating the program called me and said he would try and make that happen. He was very thankful for the deer tag. Moose would be over the top.

Donating it would be a very unselfish gesture. Eating moose meat would be tough for me to pass on though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back