Montana Moose Sheep and Goat results!!

Have the o

Have the older boys join on sheep and goat as well and get them hooked on it for life.
Scouting is going to be family time for sure. I do hope to find ways to get them involved in the sheep hunt. Not so sure the kids will be goat hunt ready....guess we'll see how the scouting days go first. One thing is for certain, my stepson has a greater appreciation for the fact that I started putting him in for moose, sheep, and goat now that he knows how many years it took me to draw.

Scouting is going to be family time for sure. I do hope to find ways to get them involved in the sheep hunt. Not so sure the kids will be goat hunt ready....guess we'll see how the scouting days go first. One thing is for certain, my stepson has a greater appreciation for the fact that I started putting him in for moose, sheep, and goat now that he knows how many years it took me to draw.
I’m sure it has already been covered. Photos, photos of the scouting, the kids, the hunts....please!

I’m sure it has already been covered. Photos, photos of the scouting, the kids, the hunts....please!
For sure. I've never been much of a trophy hunter so I've been lacking in documentation skills like picture taking, go-pro etc. Going to have to suck it up I guess.

Thanks. Looks like most HD140 entry points will be from hwy 2. I do see that the Logan Creek access from Hungry Horse could be decent. Wondering if anyone has seen goats-a-plenty along dirtyface as they hike up Logan Creek?
Since it appears that you are a bit green to the area and have drawn the only tag, I'll give you some advise....goat hunting can be a tough deal, no "easy" goats in that area. Summer goats will be located in the N NE facing basins and really like the snow that never melts. The goats will migrate to the S facing slopes once the fall snows have arrived. Good Luck and please let us know how your fall adventures turn out.

I'm sure some 60 plus guy with 2 shot knees and will shoot the first goat they see has my tag...... that's fine I'll be back next year with max points yet again.

I resemble that! Not looking for the largest billy but holding out for good hair and average or better horn length. And merely 59 with tender knees.

For sure. I've never been much of a trophy hunter so I've been lacking in documentation skills like picture taking, go-pro etc. Going to have to suck it up I guess.

Not necessarily a 'trophy hunter' thing. Think of it as making time to make memories, with a camera, that you may well enjoy and appreciate as much or more than any taxidermy you may end up with. Presume you have a decent spotting scope. If so investigate, and buy a phone skope or similar product made for your phone and scope setup. You will take cool photos and pays for itself when you have good zoomed in photos of your candidate goats you may be picking through and deciding which PIA mountain or drainage you will climb into with weapon in hand. Congrats!

Not necessarily a 'trophy hunter' thing. Think of it as making time to make memories, with a camera, that you may well enjoy and appreciate as much or more than any taxidermy you may end up with. Presume you have a decent spotting scope. If so investigate, and buy a phone skope or similar product made for your phone and scope setup. You will take cool photos and pays for itself when you have good zoomed in photos of your candidate goats you may be picking through and deciding which PIA mountain or drainage you will climb into with weapon in hand. Congrats!
I've seen those phone scopes advertised. Are they legit? It would be handy to have a buddy working that and maybe a go pro somewhere.

Thanks. Looks like most HD140 entry points will be from hwy 2. I do see that the Logan Creek access from Hungry Horse could be decent. Wondering if anyone has seen goats-a-plenty along dirtyface as they hike up Logan Creek?

I was in that general vicinity a long time ago. I will send you a pm.

I've seen those phone scopes advertised. Are they legit? It would be handy to have a buddy working that and maybe a go pro somewhere.
Yes, I tried to save $ the first time and bought a cheaper brand. I could have used that money on the Phone Skope I recently purchased. I also gave them the wrong model of my phone and when I called they just said no problem mail the one part back with the proper info. I did and a week later the correct size showed up. It works great.

That's good to know. I'll have to pick one up. It would be super cool to be able to record the animals we're seeing.

I think you'll do alright Lope........ I am rooting for you!

Well, I spoke to 5 prior hunters of the unit since drew the tag and am rethinking the good hair strategy. Four hiked then hunted in 4 - 5 miles deep the first week of the season rather than hold out for October or November hair. One hunted November on a day hunt portion of the unit. All filled tags. All got billies.

I resemble that! Not looking for the largest billy but holding out for good hair and average or better horn length. And merely 59 with tender knees.
There are a lot of people who end up eating their goat tag while patiently waiting for hair to grow because of snow and access. Just go hunting.

There are a lot of people who end up eating their goat tag while patiently waiting for hair to grow because of snow and access. Just go hunting.

I hear you and have heard others this week since I drew the tag saying to get it done in first week or two as season opens. The hair makes it a trophy for me. That said, a Euro MT goat from a September hunt might look fine next to a Euro CO bighorn ewe I have.

Will LopeHunter hunt early? Will he wait too long to backpack in deep then day hunt from Cooke City for a nanny? Will he eat tag soup prepared on a jetboil in the parking lot at the Soda Butte Lodge? Will Montana decide non-residents need to quarantine? Will the Feds close down the interstates? Will he get lost using his compass from a 1956 Cracker Jacks box? Stay tuned and find out at the same goat time, same goat channel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back