Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana hunter reports killing grizzly bear in self-defense

Have any of these incidents involved rifle killed elk?

Here in Alberta there have been a few reports. I know of one guy that had a griz trying to take the a rear quarter of elk out of the box of his truck. He did manage to scare it off with a couple shots into the ground. IMO that should have been a dead bear.

I don't know what issues you lot south of the 49th face, but up here its very stringent on grizzly deaths. Especially self defense related deaths. It appears as though, if its not a front on shot(head or chest) they result in fines, and hunting suspensions. Unfortunately that's resulting in the old saying of S.S.S.

How big are the elk in that area?...also asking for a friend.
Really big! But when the griz started showing up in larger numbers, resulting in more conflicts in the Gravelly's and up Taylor Fork north of Yellowstone, many archery hunters stopped sneaking around in those dense forests ... at least that's what a friend told me. :D

Wow so is that six separate Grizzly encounters/attacks in SW Montana this fall? Four in the Gravellys, two in W Yellowstone? That's more in one fall than I can ever remember.

Anyone have an idea as to how much Grizzly movement there has been into the Snowcrests from the Gravellys?

... Seems like it's too crowded up there, I suggest MT bring some of their excess bears down here.

CPAW came up with this sweet map of where they should be cut loose, shaded orange.
View attachment 118353
At the rate I saw people signing the wolf petition last night at the zoo in Colorado spring, there’s going to be a different critter to blame in those units.
88man and I posted at the same time

If wolves want to walk down here that's fine with me, but the only bucket biology I want to see is with a couple hundred bears so I don't have to deal with the flat brim army every fall.
A heavy dose of Grizzlies does help thin out hunters. My favorite western montana elk spot has a lot of bears and I have never seen people in my favorite hell hole.

I imagine this will be the new norm. Bears will be killed, there is just no room for the pre 1492 estimated population of 50,000 bears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back