Montana FWP Seeking Applicants For Elk Advisory Group

Nameless Range

Here’s the email notification. I can think of a lot of folks from this forum who should apply.

FWP Header

Applicants requested for elk management advisory group​

HELENA – As elk populations continue to be a concern across the state, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is convening a citizens advisory group to address the future of elk management. The 12-member group will be tasked with developing new and creative ideas and recommendations and helping build new relationships among stakeholders passionate about elk management in Montana.
FWP is seeking people representing a wide variety of interests to find innovative solutions for management issues including:
  • Populations that are over objective
  • New disease concerns
  • Lack of access on private land
  • Over-crowding on public land
  • Increased participation in outdoor activities
Members must be willing to hear other perspectives and be open to new ideas from landowners and hunters alike. Applicants representing larger interests must be empowered to speak for their group or organization.
Meetings will be virtual. A facilitator will work with the group to maintain objectivity, productivity, and to guide the development process. Interested individuals must be able to actively participate in up to 10 half-day meetings through July 2022. Meetings will be held during the day and evenings, depending upon the availability of the group. If improved technology is needed for an individual to participate, they may travel to one of FWP’s offices and use the equipment there. Mileage and lodging (if necessary) costs associated with travel to and from an FWP office will be reimbursed by FWP.
The first meeting is scheduled for the afternoon of March 22. The group’s recommendations will be presented to the FWP Director’s Office for review and consideration by July 31, 2022.
Applications are available online at https://fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/elk-management-citizen-advisory-group. The application deadline is Feb. 15. Appointments to the advisory group will be made within two weeks of the application deadline. If you have questions, please contact:

Here’s the email notification. I can think of a lot of folks from this forum who should apply.

FWP Header

Applicants requested for elk management advisory group​

HELENA – As elk populations continue to be a concern across the state, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is convening a citizens advisory group to address the future of elk management. The 12-member group will be tasked with developing new and creative ideas and recommendations and helping build new relationships among stakeholders passionate about elk management in Montana.
FWP is seeking people representing a wide variety of interests to find innovative solutions for management issues including:
  • Populations that are over objective
  • New disease concerns
  • Lack of access on private land
  • Over-crowding on public land
  • Increased participation in outdoor activities
Members must be willing to hear other perspectives and be open to new ideas from landowners and hunters alike. Applicants representing larger interests must be empowered to speak for their group or organization.
Meetings will be virtual. A facilitator will work with the group to maintain objectivity, productivity, and to guide the development process. Interested individuals must be able to actively participate in up to 10 half-day meetings through July 2022. Meetings will be held during the day and evenings, depending upon the availability of the group. If improved technology is needed for an individual to participate, they may travel to one of FWP’s offices and use the equipment there. Mileage and lodging (if necessary) costs associated with travel to and from an FWP office will be reimbursed by FWP.
The first meeting is scheduled for the afternoon of March 22. The group’s recommendations will be presented to the FWP Director’s Office for review and consideration by July 31, 2022.
Applications are available online at https://fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/elk-management-citizen-advisory-group. The application deadline is Feb. 15. Appointments to the advisory group will be made within two weeks of the application deadline. If you have questions, please contact:
Let's go to unlimited permits then ask people how best to fix the over-crowding on public land issue...

Members must be willing to hear other perspectives and be open to new ideas from landowners and hunters alike.
A few of the Hunt Talk members who've clearly shown a great understanding of elk management would be fantastic members of this citizen's group. The others who are versed in this arena lack the above quoted portion.

Would be great to see a couple quality advisory capable HT members accepted - for sake of our elk and not human ego.

I am bitter. I feel it in my bones, and I feel it all the time. Cynicism in the extreme is justified.

I believe though, that differences can still be made. We are dealing with people after all. I speak only for myself, that the most useless expression of my feelings would be to give up - for my cynicism to be bitterness masquerading as wisdom or even a resignation for how it’s gonna be.

We gotta keep after it. Probably forever. And I think this place will be a big part of anything good if good happens.

What are the odds of a hat thrown into the ring not being thrown under the bus???

They are looking for a group of folks chartered with helping landowners manage private land and creatively utilize the public to effectively remove cows while not interrupting trophy bull hunting activities. Can’t wait to see the lineup..

Then I think there should be about 100 entries from Hunt Talk. Give them the ability to make a good choice, as opposed to working towards a predetermined outcome.

We gotta keep after it. Probably forever.
Some things are just too important to give up on even if it does feel like insanity at times.

So was the previous elk group just making too much sense or something? Also, didn't hunters already solve all the problems when they emailed a bunch of solutions and ideas to the department? Must have been the wrong solutions.

"Members must be willing to hear other perspectives and be open to new ideas from landowners and hunters alike"
Hopefully there are some new ideas and not doubling down on bad ones.
Definitely need people from here to apply because we do need that voice at the table.

Depressing....I hate the thought of moving but seriously in 40 years I haven't seen much trend in the positive regarding wildlife in MT

I would encourage you to listen to the most recent BHA podcast with Randy and Andrew McKean. It is a tour de force of what the hell is going on.

One thing they talk about is how though this may be occurring right now in Montana, it is part of a larger trend across the world of hunting. May as well fight for what you got here.

I hope a lot of folks on here apply if they are able. It’s just one more little thing and it’s just a duplication of effort of the previous administration. The meetings will be entirely remote.

In terms of uncorrupted logic, hunters actually do have solutions and ideas that could benefit Montanans, in a way the plutocrats don’t at all. We have nothing to lose, and as someone with numerous unpaid jobs, it doesn’t hurt that bad if they fire ya or don’t even give you an interview.

What are the odds of a hat thrown into the ring not being thrown under the bus???
You might not be thrown under the bus. I haven’t seen anyone yet run the commissioners names through opensecrets.org and accuse them of buying their seat on the commission. If they they can avoid that, this group should avoid too much scrutiny. We support you regardless.

12 members. Hm. Big finn. Antler radar. Greenhorn. And eric albus. Plus 8 others. Be interesting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back