Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Elk Management Survey Results

Maybe show up and ask to end the harvest of mule deer does when populations are struggling. Habitat doesn’t do much good without deer.
The number of B tags are a function of the MD AHM model. That is fully determined by FWP. I have a lot of criticisms of the way they use the model, but I'm not going to hold that against BHA or MOGA or anyone else. FWP has to own that.

Reactions: DFS
The number of B tags are a function of the MD AHM model. That is fully determined by FWP. I have a lot of criticisms of the way they use the model, but I'm not going to hold that against BHA or MOGA or anyone else. FWP has to own that.
I don’t disagree. It would be nice to see BHA advocate for mule deer like they will for elk. When you hold the golden ticket of deer tags you have a platform.

Whichever organization sells the tag, the money goes to FWP. What the organization does as their mission isn’t directly relevant to how FWP spends the money.

BHA’s pitch was that they intended to award the tag by raffle rather than to the highest bidder. They are hoping to raise as much money as it would have brought at auction by keeping the chance for a tag within reach of everyone.

Whichever organization sells the tag, the money goes to FWP. What the organization does as their mission isn’t directly relevant to how FWP spends the money.

BHA’s pitch was that they intended to award the tag by raffle rather than to the highest bidder. They are hoping to raise as much money as it would have brought at auction by keeping the chance for a tag within reach of everyone.
Well, thanks to BHA for thinking of the peasants. :ROFLMAO: Do you (or anyone else) know if there is any type audit for the money to ensure it is spent where intended?

It seems every group is suffering from bad PR. I just wonder if maybe more transparency would help?
I know there is this article

Audit for BHA or for FWP? Pretty sure all organizations keep 10% for selling costs and pass on 90% to FWP.

I don’t really care who does the job but someone needs to.

"In an email, the Montana Outfitters and Guides Association hailed the findings."

“These results should inform public discussions and the elk management policies of the (Fish and Wildlife) Commission going forward,” said Mac Minard, executive director of MOGA. “Montana hunters made it clear that they do not support additional regulations or loss of opportunities and underscored a need to increase hunting on private lands in order to disperse elk to public lands.”

Sounds like we can't rely on MOGA to advocate for any change. @Eric Albus @Big Shooter
The reason that "Our" FWPs fudged the survey is in bold print above. Gotta push a false narrative to the masses in order to accomplish possible future changes. Thanks to BHA for calling out the misrepresentation.

Audit for BHA or for FWP? Pretty sure all organizations keep 10% for selling costs and pass on 90% to FWP.
FWP. My only concern for BHA would be the money gets spent on something in Colorado or something. I'm sure the group that sells it has it's own audit, and FWP has, well whatever the state has, and its published in an article in its own publication.

FWP. My only concern for BHA would be the money gets spent on something in Colorado or something. I'm sure the group that sells it has it's own audit, and FWP has, well whatever the state has, and its published in an article in its own publication.

I’d be surprised if it doesn’t cost BHA more than 10% to promote the tag and run the raffle.

This is a thread regarding the bogus elk hunter survey but I am curious what MOGA has done to advocate for mule deer in Montana?
It turned into a thread of BHA questioning the elk survey. The same survey that was sent for mule deer and has been sent several times over a long period of time. Now BHA holds the golden ticket of mule deer tags.

I would hope they would have the integrity to question the deer survey and what they are doing.

Specifically what? Habitat improvement? Or just agreeing with things like not shooting does on public which was pushed by a lot of Montanans and HT membership for years and really doesn't affect any MOGA member business.
I wouldn't go that far. I can think of a few that make good money shooting bucks that leave Public in search of does.

I read the results of both the resident and nonresident mule deer surveys. The resident survey outcome was similar to the elk survey that this thread is all about. The nonresidents are a bit more content with Montana's mule deer management.

I will be purchasing a few chances from BHA for the mule deer drawing as I respect what they are doing.

Now MOGA auctioning off the moose tag? That'll make the Moss-Back crew look like a rural Sunday school group!

I am not sure why it doesn't go to MDF.
They already have a sizable bank account.

Back