MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Elk Management Survey Results

Some hard-hitting journalism following up:

"FM3 Research is a national public-policy research company known particularly for conducting several respected public-land polls, including the Colorado College State of the Rockies Project and the University of Montana Crown of the Continent and Greater Yellowstone Initiative public lands polls.

When he was shown FWP’s poll and conclusions, FM3 President Dave Metz said FWP’s interpretation was 'to say the least, a highly unusual approach.'"

https://missoulacurrent.com/elk-hunter-survey/
Thanks for the share.

Some hard-hitting journalism following up:

"FM3 Research is a national public-policy research company known particularly for conducting several respected public-land polls, including the Colorado College State of the Rockies Project and the University of Montana Crown of the Continent and Greater Yellowstone Initiative public lands polls.

When he was shown FWP’s poll and conclusions, FM3 President Dave Metz said FWP’s interpretation was 'to say the least, a highly unusual approach.'"

https://missoulacurrent.com/elk-hunter-survey/
Any plans to look at the mule deer survey results?

With the studies on collared elk done in other states coming in and showing how fast elk respond to pressure, I am not even sure that an irrigated alfalfa pivot on public is going to get it done. I am not saying don't try, but habitat is a "solution" people embrace easily because it doesn't require any sacrifice to the main desire which is opportunity. My initial reaction is hunters need to understand that they are the pressure, but I think it is known. It is why the public comments usually involve getting access to private.
Speaking of elk responding to pressure, do some of those studies indicate that elk prefer to distance themselves from pressure rather than just hunker down and allow it to pass them by? I have been wondering how elk and deer respond to pressure differently, like how their pressure avoidance strategies are different.

BHA will go to bat on the elk survey yet they are quiet on the mule deer survey. And they are selling the most coveted mule deer tag in Montana.

MOGA probably would have been a better choice to receive the tag for what they have done for mule deer if it was merit-based.
They already got the Gov Moose tag. Are we just encouraging FWP contract with MOGA to sell all the Governor's tags?

They already got the Gov Moose tag. Are we just encouraging FWP contract with MOGA to sell all the Governor's tags?
If they continue to try to help mule deer I would give them what they need. Who else is doing it?

Trying to keep a few on the landscape.
Specifically what? Habitat improvement? Or just agreeing with things like not shooting does on public which was pushed by a lot of Montanans and HT membership for years and really doesn't affect any MOGA member business. I ask honestly. I would like to hear about what they are doing. I'm not sure it would rise to the level of giving them a MD tag, but if they are doing good things and showing results, everyone should be made aware. I'm not saying MOGA is a problem, but I don't see a lot of leading by example in terms of making sacrifices, but I could be wrong.

Specifically what? Habitat improvement? Or just agreeing with things like not shooting does on public which was pushed by a lot of Montanans and HT membership for years and really doesn't affect any MOGA member business. I ask honestly. I would like to hear about what they are doing. I'm not sure it would rise to the level of giving them a MD tag, but if they are doing good things and showing results, everyone should be made aware. I'm not saying MOGA is a problem, but I don't see a lot of leading by example in terms of making sacrifices, but I could be wrong.
What would rise to the level of giving BHA the tag? I haven’t seen BHA advocating for mule deer…. Ever. They advocate for their hunting opportunitiy and as long as there is still one to shoot they are happy. I’m not saying BHA is a problem but I don’t see them leading by example. I could be wrong.

What would rise to the level of giving BHA the tag? I haven’t seen BHA advocating for mule deer…. Ever. They advocate for their hunting opportunitiy and as long as there is still one to shoot they are happy. I’m not saying BHA is a problem but I don’t see them leading by example. I could be wrong.
There a long discussion on this regarding the Moose tag. I'm sure every org has to fill out an application to get the tag. I'm not so sure it is merit based. MOGA Big Hearts vs DU. That one should be obvious using your criteria, but I get your point on BHA. I will say that BHA is one of the few groups that organizes and contributes to the fight against some of the stupid shit the Montana legislature and Commission does. So that might qualify. On the other hand, MOGA is often the source of most of the stupid shit the Montana legislature and commission does.

There a long discussion on this regarding the Moose tag. I'm sure every org has to fill out an application to get the tag. I'm not so sure it is merit based. MOGA Big Hearts vs DU. That one should be obvious using your criteria, but I get your point on BHA. I will say that BHA is one of the few groups that organizes and contributes to the fight against some of the stupid shit the Montana legislature and Commission does. So that might qualify. On the other hand, MOGA is often the source of most of the stupid shit the Montana legislature and commission does.
Please……do tell..! I’ll wait.

Please……do tell..! I’ll wait.
You should be telling. Not me. I’m listening. I will agree that you and Eric have been supportive of MD, but you also say your views represent your views and not MOGA at large. I believe there was an outfitter that pushed against the change of breaks units to LE. I get it. You views vary. I’m not attacking you, or even MOGA. Just trying to reconcile how MOGA does more than or less than BHA, even if in think the comparison is pointless.

You should be telling. Not me. I’m listening. I will agree that you and Eric have been supportive of MD, but you also say your views represent your views and not MOGA at large. I believe there was an outfitter that pushed against the change of breaks units to LE. I get it. You views vary. I’m not attacking you, or even MOGA. Just trying to reconcile how MOGA does more than or less than BHA, even if in think the comparison is pointless.
I think I’m to blame for bringing comparison. I would be more interested in what BHA is advocating for mule deer. Raise money for fwp to keep things the same?

I think I’m to blame for bringing comparison. I would be more interested in what BHA is advocating for mule deer. Raise money for fwp to keep things the same?
I don't think it matters who sells the tag. A percentage goes to FWP either way and it is supposed to be used on MD. I would rather see MOGA, BHA, R and NR hunters work together to help the resource, especially if it is against their specific interest. Unfortunately we all fight with each other. I thought there was meeting to work on this. Clock is ticking before next legislative session. Unfortunately, looking at the other thread, other issues have come up. I wonder if these groups expressed their opinion on that shit show.

They comment in support for and advocate for habitat/access, things like conservation easements that benefit mule deer and a variety of other species, for one. I think they stay out of the nitty-gritty specific things since their membership varies across the scale of things like opportunity vs. trophy management.

They comment in support for and advocate for habitat/access, things like conservation easements that benefit mule deer and a variety of other species, for one. I think they stay out of the nitty-gritty specific things since their membership varies across the scale of things like opportunity vs. trophy management.
We’ve gone beyond arguments about trophy management in a lot of areas.

BHA took the tag on I would hope they have good reasons for people like me to buy a ticket. I haven’t and I won’t until they tell me how they will advocate for mule deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back