MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Elk Guide for people with disabilities

Levajo

So my dad has made many trips out here to visit me in Bozeman and has always wanted to shoot an elk his whole life. However, he waited too long to go do it and now has run out of health. He has a heart condition known as ARVD and gets zapped when he gets his heart rate too high. His heart condition has progressed and is now to the point he can not walk up a flight of stairs without having to stop and catch his breathe to slow down his heart. I am a very large supporter of DIY hunts as long as your physically able. I told my dad I would put a word out on this chat in order to try to find someone who may know of a guide that specializes in taking people disabilities. What he doesn’t want is to do a road hunt where you drive around and hop out and shoot. He is from IL and sits in blinds and tree stands for deer. I told him there may be a guide out there who could put him on a water hole, wallow, or just a heavily used trail.
Any suggestions?
Money isn’t really an issue for him. I’m going to start applying him for WY elknpreference points this year in hopes after his heart transplant I can hunt with him down there.

Levajo,,, As much as this pains me, I recommend that you reach out to the MOGA, that is the Montana Outfitters & Gudes Association. I'm guessing that there will be more than one private land lease outfitter that would be glad to help your Dad out with his goal of hunting an elk, especially if money is not an issue.

I hope that he accomplishes his goal and that you two are able to hunt together on a DIY hunt in the future! Savor your time together in the field and out while you still can.

Mtnhunter1

How much money "isn't an issue"?

Wyoming commission tag and you could have a good hunt in a fairly mild area...I'd be more than happy to help any way I can on area suggestions, etc.

How about the CA Ranch?
Based on the Levajo's description and what I know about the Climbing Arrow Ranch on Sixteen Mile near Maudlow, I think it would be worthwhile contacting the CA. Lots of elk and good people who are accommodating, if the place isn't booked by Primos or some other client.

Scott and Sandy Sallee...Black Mountain Outfitters...222-7455....They hunt the Maudlow/Sixteen Mile as well...Very nice folks and I'm certain would gladly help your father have a good hunt....

An option outside of MT would be a CWMU hunt in Utah. Since you mention price isn't much of a barrier, some of them are spendy and some have elk in terrain I think you're dad could easily navigate.

Here is a CO option if money isn't prohibitive. There is a ranch that is enrolled in the RFW program here called Kiowa Creek. I believe http://www.tristateoutfittersusa.com/?portfolio=elk is the outfitter that runs the operation on that ranch. The ranch is east of Monument/Castle Rock/Colorado Springs. The terrain is mild comparatively. I have seen some of the bulls off of the ranch at my taxidermist and they are big. Last I heard an elk hunt was about $15k. Just a thought for you. BTW, I think the also go by the name of Bijou Springs Ranch.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys! I talked with him this week and he came back on the price and said he wouldn’t think his wife would let him get away with spending more than $6grand. I will look into some of these suggestions.

Best to your father. I would suggest chatting with the FWP for the Region of interest. There may be a few who've offered their private ranch property for opportunities of this nature.
Helped a vet friend harvest an elk west of Butte. He touched base with FWP and a bit later a rancher spoke with him.
Two days into the hunt he pulled the trigger. Pretty cool day!
Another friend, a disabled LEO plan to hunt a gent's property this year and I get to tag along as his Sherpa. I'll ask how he came in touch and see if it's something I can pm ya.
Rambling now though point is, there are big hearts for making a goal under these circumstances become reality. If they don't contact someone officially or unofficially they may have faced such questions in the past and may have some reference points to follow up.
Someone earlier mentioned MOGA. I'm not familiar with pricing so I'm not sure what $6,000 would cover though it seems like it would be a pretty decent price. MOGA, I would imagine as a good point for reference.

Last edited:
If you're up for buying a chance. The Morgan Ranch on the north end of the Bridger Mountains and extending to Sixteen Mile Creek is offering a raffle for a bull elk hunt, with proceeds going to support the MSU Bobcat football and rodeo teams. The drawing is March 2nd, twenty dollars a ticket, so buy tickets at Huntthebigsky.com. I know one of the guides for the Morgan outfitters and he is always reporting on some great trophy bulls taken on that place. If you don't win the raffle, the Morgan Ranch would still be another great place to take your dad.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back