Montana Elk drawing question

pointingdogsrule

Good afternoon:

I've never considered hunting Montana for elk & just started building points for elk in Montana this year. I've always concentrated on CO. AZ & NM. I've been following the threads and find the Montana Elk rules a bit confusing. For example you may draw for a general license, however, most of you are saying that one should not apply for a general license unless you can later draw for a certain area within that zone. The Montana FW&P catalog doesn't seem to make it much easier to understand.

If anyone can give me some advice on the application process, it would be appreciated (someone who has hunted this area.). I have a friend that has a ranch at the base of the Crazy Mountains and would love to visit him and archery hunt that area. He usually buys a rifle cow tag for the meat. It seems the dividing zone line goes right down the spine of the Crazy's. On the west side (zone #315) only general licenses and on the east side (zone #580) a general license and a special draw for one of three (3) zones later on. I do realize that there is limited access in that area.

Yes, I realize this is an "early" question, however, better early then late to ask and get excited about next year.

PM me on this site.

Thanks in advance
the dog

Montana has mastered the ability to complicate the process of applying for a non-resident tag.

First, you have to apply for a general tag. That deadline is 3/15 of each year.

If you draw that tag, you are now holding a general elk tag, which also includes a deer tag. That allows you to then apply for any of the special permits that both residents and non-residents can apply for. The deadline for those special permits is June 1.

If you draw a special permit, such as the elk tag for 580, you can hunt there, and any of the general units, such as 315.

If you do not draw, you can only hunt the general units.

So, for a limited entry permit such as 580, you must apply in two different draws and get lucky in both.

Clear as mud, I am sure.

Yeah, don't forget about that June 1 deadline for the special draw like I did this year :(

Worse part is how late the special permit draw is.I put in for a special permit but won't find out till around August if I drew;I think.so right now, I've been doing map work for both general and special draw areas
Since you know the permit you want, that makes it ALOT easier.Huntingfool is the only people I know that says Montana isn't worth it unless you have a special permit.Everyone I talked to said I'd do fine with a general tag,but there was one special permit I was interested in.Just wish they drew them earlier to help with the planning sooner

Back