Montana Bull Elk Point Burn

400orBust - I drew a 799-20 last fall (with 2 bonus points) and me and my son spent 11-12 days rifle hunting there in Oct/Nov. You could do great if you are willing to spend $5-6K to access a private ranch. We just didn’t see any big bulls on public and we seen one bull around 320-330 on the edge of private. There are tons of roads and lots of cow elk/deer hunters to compete with, at least on the Custer NF. We didn’t hunt any BLM/BMA’s
I personally think you are living a fantasy if you think drawing a certain limited tag will give you a shot at a 375 or larger bull in any unit in the west. Even states like NV/AZ hunters have a very tough time finding a 375 bull on public land.

I still would like to know how many bulls of that caliber are killed in Montana statewide each year. Any guesses? I bet you could count them on one hand. mtmuley

I know an outfit that kills more then one hand worth by themselves. It does cost big money though.

Not my place to post it, you asked, so I told you. I can tell you it’s not anywhere too close to the bitteroot valley

I appreciate the discussion.

Bulls of that caliber are around. I have two relatives, both MT residents, that have each killed true 380 bulls on accessible public land within the last 4 years (one was bitterroot valley other was central MT). And another guy I know that got a 375 bull same way (also central MT). I think they were all "one-offs" in that they were rare finds for where they were and the probability off finding another bull that size in the same place is very small which is why I'm here asking if there is any better concentration of bulls like that. What I'm hearing is no unless I find a guide with locked up land.

Pagosa, thanks for the feedback on the 799-20 permit, I appreciate it but was disappointing to hear.

Last edited:
I was trying to quote an above message re: where Chuck Adams got his bulls but haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Anyways, I think he got those bulls prior to the 900 permit being in place, not that that changes anything.

Also, I agree with those of you about the 900 permit but I guess I wasn't considering it because I hoped to have the backup of rifle season and it sucks to build points for so long and then burn them on something that only takes a point or two. The longer this horse stands at the water the more I'm thinking about drinking.

Last edited:
Don’t waste the points on the 900 tag u could realistically draw with 0 points . I think 0 was about 23% draw last year . That’s not bad

Funny- “wasting” points on the best archery elk hunting permit in North America.

Outfitters in 799 without a question. Get your checkbook out.

That 900 tag would no doubt give you the greatest opportunity though for a good bull. Maybe greeny or radar will take you or one of the local heroes on here will step up. Good luck, 900 tag with some serious scouting and I bet you find one you like there. He may or may not be 380 but I'm sure something will turn your crank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back