Montana Bull Elk Point Burn

I see bulls of the caliber that you are looking for in 799 every year. Seeing them where you can hunt with out a "your spending that on an elk" from you wife or when you can hunt is a different story. Can you get a giant on public in 799? The answer is yes. Someone does it every year. Pagosa's story is far more typical. Those big ones take a lot of work or a lot of luck and often a big dose of both. I know hunters that hunt hard the whole season and end up with tag soup or a bull that you could get in any general unit.

Last edited:
Man I would love to see a pic of the Bitterroot 375 bull. IF it truly scored that, it would have been a needle in a haystack.

Curious out of the 16 bulls you have killed how many are 300+? Have you killed a pile of 340-350's and feel you just can't get over that hump? Just curious why 375+? Not saying you don't but most guys who haven't killed many true giants can't tell the difference in a 360-370 bull.

Not saying you don't but most guys who haven't killed many true giants can't tell the difference in a 360-370 bull.
Heck, most of us with perpetual bull-fever can't discern between a 270 and a 370 bull. Full antlered elk for most are heart-pounding awesomely score-bewildering when in the field!

Curious out of the 16 bulls you have killed how many are 300+? Have you killed a pile of 340-350's and feel you just can't get over that hump? Just curious why 375+? Not saying you don't but most guys who haven't killed many true giants can't tell the difference in a 360-370 bull.

I grew up on elk meat and that is ultimately my goal every year. However I'm very fortunate in my job that I can devote several weeks each year to hunt so sometimes I get picky until my last week. A few of my bulls have been over 300, the largest being 330. Last year I ended up with a one horn rag on the last night I could hunt rifle after several encounters with some decent bulls in archery season. I've had missed opportunity archery hunting at 350-ish bulls so the 375 was just a number that I've never had opportunity at...basically a I'm looking for a nice, large bull. Yes I agree with you many cannot tell the different between a 360-370 bull and on the hoof and me either. I've seen enough large (350 class) bulls in person that I do know what they look like. For me it comes down to conformation...a wide, long-tined 6 point that was 360-370 would probably fit my bill. I guess something I should've said in my first post is that I'm at the point in my life where I have the physical drive, the time to invest and some funds to put into this...rare for those to line up which is why I'm asking now.

I was going to bring the same thing up. Why the 375 mark? 350+ really is a true trophy in any state but like was mentioned if you've attained that mark already I can understand your reasoning.

When guys throw numbers around to describe an elk's antlers, they usually have varying span of reality/accuracy.

Man I would love to see a pic of the Bitterroot 375 bull. IF it truly scored that, it would have been a needle in a haystack.

It was a very close relative and he doesn't want the pic on the internet, and he didn't put it in the books so I can offer no proof to you. I understand without proof it is just words on a page. My point was that there are bulls in that category still out there on public land. Yes it was a needle in the haystack. After seeing where the bull was living (I've hunted and shed hunted the area) he was a very, very smart bull.

When guys throw numbers around to describe an elk's antlers, they usually have varying span of reality/accuracy.

I agree with you for the most part, but some people do know what true numbers are. I do realize there is a lot of skepticism when numbers are thrown around and I'm no different.

It was a very close relative and he doesn't want the pic on the internet, and he didn't put it in the books so I can offer no proof to you. I understand without proof it is just words on a page. My point was that there are bulls in that category still out there on public land. Yes it was a needle in the haystack. After seeing where the bull was living (I've hunted and shed hunted the area) he was a very, very smart bull.

What year was this bull killed? mtmuley

Easy to tell a big bull from a solid bull.
But a 25" difference in score obviously amounts to each horn 2" longer.i couldn't make that call in a true hunting situation where the bull is spotted and there is little time to assess. Chances are few could. Big bull is a big bull, be happy.

If you go the guided/outfitted/private land route, your options open considerably and you may not even have to burn your points. I know of two outfitters who have killed bulls in the range you are looking for (both on quality private ranches), one of the outfitters only does rifle hunts but I hunted the property with a friend during archery a few years ago and we saw several large bulls. He ended up taking a 350+ bull. The other outfitter I have not hunted with but after some research booked an archery hunt last year (General Tag) but blew my shoulder out before the season and had to cancel. He has taken animals in the range you are talking from his property. Point is if you are willing to pay for quality private land your goal is not necessarily related to your points total. Let me know I am happy to send you the info via pm.

Last edited:
Bulls 375 plus are not that common, lofty goal for sure.

IMO, without paying for good access in Montana it wont be easy, wont be easy even paying for access.

I cant speak to how things are now in 690, but when I hunted in the late 90's-early 2000's I would have said you had a good chance at a bull 350+ with a rifle, at least on the places I had access to. The biggest straight 6 point I have ever seen was in 690, while hunting mule deer in November. I don't like to throw numbers around, but it was bigger than 350 all day long. Saw a 7x6 one day that was also north of 350...but not quite as big as the straight 6.

Things may have changed over that way, my information is pretty dated.

Saw a pic last night. There was another bull pushing 400 killed on the East side not long ago. mtmuley

Back