PEAX Equipment

Montana antelope draw results

I apologize in the advance for the long winded question but this seems like the place to ask it, mainly because I don't want to call FWP and I figure some of you will appreciate me taking your mind off the fact draw results STILL aren't out...

So, I'm a little confused on the "antelope count" and how FWP sets quotas for Montana, especially for our northern units. I've heard numerous times that the counts are done in mid to late-July because our antelope have migrated from Canada by that time and a more accurate count can be made. Makes sense I guess but I've never seen evidence of this. It seems like I see roughly the same number of antelope in May as I do in October (which I agree is fewer and fewer over the past few years). Then again, I'm not a biologist and I can't afford fuel for my helicopter to go see for myself.

Last year, I shot an antelope buck on the east edge of the 620 unit during opening weekend, mid-October. It was hot as hell and we saw very few antelope on that short trip, maybe the fewest I've seen in the 20 years I've hunted that area (and yes, I'm factoring in the horrible years after the great winter and train massacre of 2011). I returned a month later from Nov 9th to 12th which was the final weekend of antelope season but we were only deer hunting. It was crazy cold during that stretch. It rarely got above zero and lowest I remember was -19. Again, we saw very few antelope despite putting on a ton of miles.

On the way home, I saw an antelope migration! We literally saw miles and miles of antelope all stacked up along the north fenceline of Hwy 2, between Malta to Havre. I'd guess we saw 1000 of them, if not more. Which means there were probably 1000s more just out of sight to the north and who knows how many that had already crossed the road.

I was in agreement with some of you that the quotas are too high, but now I'm not so sure after seeing this. I would assume this huge migration happens just about every year, but definitely not in July. So, is FWP considering all these late migrating lopers when they set quotas? If so, then it kinda makes sense that quotas are high (even though it seems most of these antelope don't make it into rifle range until after the season ends).

Also, with FWP's recent discovery of the power of the internets and elimination of paper applications, why wouldn't the antelope rifle application deadline be August 1st instead of June 1st?

"Drawing in Process". Good luck.

Back