Montana Antelope 2020 Draw Results

If you think there are too many 7P plates in your neck of the woods, you ought to see what it's like up in Flathead County. Damn things are everywhere and seem to breed like flies. Not sure where they come from.
Same problem with the 13 here. mtmuley

Supposedly they wait for the new population counts to be completed. Do there ever actually change the number of tags issued in a district because of this? The number of tags issued is decided much earlier. The only difference I see is with some tags you are given the option to purchase additional doe/fawn tag and they could potentially change the number of additional tags they let you purchase when you draw a buck tag.

Anybody know why they wait so long on antelope when deer/elk are in the spring?

Antelope fawn away from the herd and wait a while before they return with fawns at the heel. Biologists wait a month or so until they can pair them up.

I think states with more migratory herds they are better equipped to count early. I don't know how they account for bad spring snows and annual fawn recruitment but I'm sure long term counts catch that.

Y'all just keep reviving this thread . . . . :mad:

I drew a tag last year, and kept wondering why I was seeing so few others. Turns out they issued half as many tags as published.

Local biologists have some dismal numbers for counts. Winter/Spring 2019 really put a hurt on them and I'd expect a significant cut in SW MT.

Just got an email from MT FWP stating that there will be no 900-20 archery antelope surplus tags this year.....😠. Hope I draw rifle...or no MT Antelope this year. Good luck everyone!!!

Here's the email:

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

The drawing for antelope and antelope B permits will be held Thursday, Aug. 6. To check your drawing results, login to myfwp.mt.gov.

Because so many hunters selected the 900-20 antelope archery only license as their first choice in the drawing, there will not be any 900-20 antelope archery only surplus licenses available.

Well I really hope I draw my rifle tag now.

Status still Pending- hoping they draw it at 8am.

Just got an email from MT FWP stating that there will be no 900-20 archery antelope surplus tags this year.....😠. Hope I draw rifle...or no MT Antelope this year. Good luck everyone!!!

Here's the email:

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

The drawing for antelope and antelope B permits will be held Thursday, Aug. 6. To check your drawing results, login to myfwp.mt.gov.

Because so many hunters selected the 900-20 antelope archery only license as their first choice in the drawing, there will not be any 900-20 antelope archery only surplus licenses available.
That new archery tag deal is bull shit. It's about as bad as the 900 elk tag.......

Since the big winter kill of 2010-11, I have drawn two Montana antelope tags, even with applying in some rather easy areas for residents to draw. If ever there is the evidence of the outlier on the probability scales, my Montana antelope results are just that. Given I've been the outlier on the other end of some probabilities when it comes to tag drawing, I will accept another bonus point and hope for an antelope tag in 2021.

Edited - Successful! Drew my second choice but who cares! I'm hunting antelope! Now I just gotta fill that pesky cow moose tag first... :)

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back