Montana 2019 Spring Bear Season

Although technically the season is open, I don't get too worked up about bears until about mid-May. My spots are still too snowy right now, so it's time to cast some skwalas to trout in the meantime.

Yahoo !
60's are on the way up here in God's Country ! Let the Melting begin .
I have some new loads to test for a rifle and then get in a hike and check some new places out !

MT.PERCHMAN

Reactions: LCH
I'll be heading out next week. Looking to do 4 days, and then hit it every other week until I punch my tag

heading out the 10th of may for 8 days. Hows the snow levels? Going to the libby area for my first crack at spring bear.

In the Seeley Lake area the valley is getting pretty well melted. With a little elevation the snow is still there. Also most all of the roads are closed until May 1st and will remain closed until they dry up so the roads won't get torn up. Heck we can't even get to the rifle range until May 1st and it's only a couple of miles from town. And folks that sucks big time.

Dan

Afraid theres gonna be too much snow for good access when we head up that way. When does it usually start to get accessible? I figure its all dependent on the year and snow levels and such.

Afraid theres gonna be too much snow for good access when we head up that way. When does it usually start to get accessible? I figure its all dependent on the year and snow levels and such.

You should be fine by the 10th of May. I saw a bear two days ago and tracks in another area. There will be higher elevation roads and some roads that drop into dark north facing draws that will still have snow, but you should be able to get to most places. If you do any mountain biking, that is a great way to cover ground behind gated roads.

Snowline in the Butte/Anaconda area is still awfully low. I may try to get out this comming weekend but most places I've seen bears in the past are up there a ways.

Well I'm so glad the Elk and Deer draw is over ..I can get my but out there and find a Bear !
It was Beautiful today here I believe 64 or 65 . It looks like 60 's for a week !
It's getting close ! I looked through my pictures on the phone and on May 17th. We hit the motherlode of bear scat last year . I cant remember the weather compared to this year ..but it seems warmer this year .

Anyway good luck to all that get out there this week !!

MT.PERCHMAN

I took a drive around this evening to look at few of the cliffy south facing spots I often see early season bears. Ended up finding three different bears. None of them were all that big, but I did find a set of tracks headed up the road into one of my favorite spots that had to be the biggest black bear tracks I have ever seen.

We're headed out to Idaho next week around the Idaho Falls area. First time black bear hunters from Iowa, going in the thick of grizzly country. If we have some luck, we may loop up through Montana on the way back to see the country for something to do. Good luck everyone and stay safe!

I just spent the morning seeing how roads are and did a little glassing just north of town. The roads were pretty good and I was able to get pretty far in. I have obligations today or else I would have stayed out. I still have much too learn about bear hunting but it looked like I was in the right kind of areas today. Luckily tomorrow I don't have anything to do except wander around the woods.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back