Montana 2019 Spring Bear Season

With my work schedule, I should be able to hit it pretty hard this year. Six days at a time, every other week.

Just curious, who all carries bear spray while hunting black bears? And does being in griz country change that?

Reactions: LCH
I'll have some 4-day stretches in May & June to run out and sit on a hillside, maybe try out this new tent I picked up so I can stay closer to the hunt area.

And I'll be carrying bear spray.

I don't know a whole lot but that grizz seems pretty big for just waking up! I have to take the car to the shop Monday morning so I'll make Tuesday my opener. From the missoula bears website it sounds like the grizzlies are out in full force. Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

Family time today but I think the wife and I are going to do a little scouting on Sunday !

Monday is out for the Wife she is watching the grand baby's and Tue . Is her Birthday !
So I'm thinking we can Wed ./Thursday but we will see .
Best of luck to you guys and gals headed out for the Opener !

MT.PERCHMAN

Just curious, who all carries bear spray while hunting black bears? And does being in griz country change that?

I definitely carry it in Grizzly country...but not in black bear only territory. Although, it seems there are more and more alleged sightings where there aren’t supposed to be any Grizzlies!

I've always got spray with me too even when hiking close to town here. Most sightings are black bears where i hike around but I think it's only a matter of time until a grizz shows up. It's crazy to see how many people are going into the Rattlesnake area a good ways without any kind of protection. When I first moved here I thought maybe I was being to paranoid but I really just think a lot of people around here have the "it can't happen to me" mentality.

Quick update on our Sunday trip . The wife and I hit three spots we bear hunt and yes you guessed it all three still snowed in . I did push through on one trail with the Chevy but the wife says ok that's enough I'm not spending the night out here .
I agreed and got turned around . We did find a sweet camping spot with a fire pit already set up . I jumped out and was looking around and found some old / last fall scat close to the berry patch ! Oh and yes I found another tick . Not sure why they like me so much . Time to get the sticky roller and the repellent in the truck .
We spotted lots of deer and elk on the trip all seem to be low in elevation . It was great to get out anyway !!

Best of luck to you guys that head out

Quick update on our Sunday trip . The wife and I hit three spots we bear hunt and yes you guessed it all three still snowed in . I did push through on one trail with the Chevy but the wife says ok that's enough I'm not spending the night out here .
I agreed and got turned around . We did find a sweet camping spot with a fire pit already set up . I jumped out and was looking around and found some old / last fall scat close to the berry patch ! Oh and yes I found another tick . Not sure why they like me so much . Time to get the sticky roller and the repellent in the truck .
We spotted lots of deer and elk on the trip all seem to be low in elevation . It was great to get out anyway !!

Best of luck to you guys that head out
I’m heading out Friday and will update my findings!

I am heading back to Montana again this year. Learned a lesson from last year, be flexible! Set our week in January last year and y'all had too much snow the first week in may. This year I am eyeing the week of the 13th but going to keep an eye on snow melt. Good luck to you.

Reactions: LCH

I carry spray and a 10mm, every time no matter what. Also, "Griz country" has expanded from what many will have you believe. I have seen grizzly bears or tracks in almost all of my hunting areas over the years. There's always the exception but, I treat most good elk hunting spots as "Griz country." If there are Elk the chances are there are Grizzly bears nearby. Same with wolves. That has been my experience anyhow. Good luck out there.

How is the quality of meat on a spring bear compared to that of a fall bear?

I've never shot a fall bear, but my spring bear last year was really good. I kept both hind quarters whole and brined them for a week before putting them in the smoker all day. Tasted very similar to a smoked pork ham!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back