MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana 1 upped by Idaho in Wolf take shenanigans.

factor in subdivision development, and those 10 acre mcmansions as well here. Human disturbance in the root is massive.
Elk are doing well around the human disturbance. Unfortunately for me, they aren't doing so well in the Selway and other backcountry areas I like to hunt. Habitat issues I hear.

Places like the MPG, CB, Double Fork, the place across from Traders Bros, Siebell Ranch, and all the celeb ranchettes in the riverbottom etc,,,did not look like they do now back in the 70's, 80's early 90's.
I worked the Seibel place out of high school and occasionally do some work there now. It ain't much different. mtmuley

I worked the Seibel place out of high school and occasionally do some work there now. It ain't much different. mtmuley
Other than a lot more whitetail and elk. I hunted it some years back, and also an adjacent piece.

Kootenai springs Ranch is another I forgot. I hunted it back when Coleman owned it. The amount of crops planted and left for wildlife was crazy. One huge field was planted with clover just for deer and elk.

Other than a lot more whitetail and elk. I hunted it some years back, and also an adjacent piece.

Kootenai springs Ranch is another I forgot. I hunted it back when Coleman owned it. The amount of crops planted and left for wildlife was crazy. One huge field was planted with clover just for deer and elk.
I understand. And I am very familiar with the DF and what they do. Feed might be why the elk stay, but it's not why they got there in the first place. mtmuley

There are changes coming statewide that are going make you wish wolves were the only problem.

I understand. And I am very familiar with the DF and what they do. Feed might be why the elk stay, but it's not why they got there in the first place. mtmuley
One of the elk herds that lived behind my house on national forest started living full time by our local dump lol. Its next to the interstate-no one can tell me they moved there because it was better habitat although there are a few trees and a small hayfield. Another small group started living on me and my neighbors property. They showed up down there a few years after I noticed wolves on the public ground behind me. Some of the best remote habitat we have in Idaho is empty and many of the elk are right next to or even in town. I understand the attraction of an irrigated alfalfa field to the elk and I totally agree those crops draw elk in. But I have seen elk go places that make no sense due to wolves. The wolves don't seem to follow them because these are not big ranches I am talking about. Its smaller areas close to town, definitely not ideal Elk habitat. The wolves are either too smart or just not brave enough yet to get that close to a lot of people. Its super thick in that national forest area behind my house and its closed to trapping so I think those wolves numbers will just continue to grow. Its really a double whammy for the elk. They get pushed out of the high country and then our F&G issues tons of depredation permits and a new late cow season hunt kind of like Montana's shoulder season.

The wolves are either too smart or just not brave enough yet to get that close to a lot of people.
But, it will happen. Then shit will really hit the fan. And I don't mean wolf attacks on humans. But I bet they eventually follow the descending herds. mtmuley

Last edited:
And now several generations have been born in the lowlands. They will never leave as they don't know any better. It hasn't always been this this way here, and I'm sure other areas have seen the same. mtmuley
The same has happed with mule deer in Eastern Montana. As predator numbers have increase,( both the two and four legged species) on the mostly public uplands, the number of mule deer on the river bottoms has increased. Now we have generations of deer that never get more than a mile from the river and some of the best back country were there was lots of deer in the 80's and 90's is almost devoid of deer. Habitat change if any has been for the better.

Last edited:
So you don't know who traps there? Bet the wolf trapping would be excellent there.
I did, and he died. It was good.
I know a lot of trappers that trap wolves. They are far more successful on private. In fact they think they took the majority that lived there. The fact that wolves aren't on private had zero to do with them knowing they could get shot. Trappers were effective.

Govt pay or the free will of people to help support/offset trapping expense would go a long way.

Eco's call that bounty... bs!

Sooo elk are on private to get away from wolves.

Wolf trappers are successful at trapping wolves on private.

Wolves don’t kill elk on private because wolves don’t go on private.

Must be common core math.

Sooo elk are on private to get away from wolves.

Wolf trappers are successful at trapping wolves on private.

Wolves don’t kill elk on private because wolves don’t go on private.

Must be common core math.
Really? In the case of the Bitterroot the wolves pushed these herds to the Valley floor. I've lived here as long or longer than you have. I've seen it. It's real. No other way to explain it. I know the ranchers. I know the trophy land owners. The fricken wolves drove the elk herds to the low valley. mtmuley

Back