Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana 1 upped by Idaho in Wolf take shenanigans.

Bison in the Lamar continue to thrive and expand. They cope with the out of balance predator numbers better than the elk do. Maybe the bison compete with the elk for grass as well?
A tank is better cover than a Humvee. There's generally different herd defense strategies as well when it comes to wolves & bison & elk, plus you have bears really honing in on elk calves as being easier targets of opportunity than bison calves. Bison close in around the weaker herd animals when confronted with a predator, while elk tend to be less congregated during parturition.

I would imagine that there is some competition between the two, but with elk having the better mobility, I think they can forage in places other than where the bison are. Is that forage quality though? The former Rep from park County, Alan Redfield, not someone I'd consider a staunch environmentalist, had some pretty good ideas on what's going on inside Yellowstone due to over grazing & drought. He was coming at the issue from a soil science perspective and I think that's a side of this issue that we completely gloss over in favor of whatever critter we want to defend.

Out of balance is subjective though. Humans labor under the misconception that wildlife numbers can be managed on a flat curve and wild undulations in populations are not the norm. That's the hubris of humanity.

Last edited:
What are the other 2 criteria?

1.) An approved regulatory mechanism for each state within the DPS. This is what tripped up the delisting of the Yellowstone population for so long. Wyoming did not have a regulatory mechanism that passed legal muster. It held back MT & ID.

2.) Genetic interchange between distinct population segments. This was achieved in 2004 or so, IIRC.

3.) Population goals as defined by the FEIS - 15 breeding pair per state & 150 individuals per state as the absolute, rock bottom basement.

That's the fatal misunderstanding of the litigation. It's not about what populations level do, it's about the adequate regulatory mechanisms that were agreed upon for delisting to occur under the 2010 delisting rule issued by the USFWS that ultimately was re-issued through the Simpson-Tester delisting rider.

Population is only 1 of 3 criteria for continued delisting. Knowing the folks at Earth Justice, they must feel as though they have a solid case in order to take this up. That should worry folks.

reading the demand letter to Idaho’ governor, it is not about wolf numbers at all. The claims are that increased trapping might impact Lynx or Grizz.

And they may have an actual argument based on by catch of endangered species. This isn't that far off the cottonwood decision that said the FS has to analyse each project for impact to t&e species.

I would say the only way to know the impact wolves have had on elk in montana, since they won't admit the introduction of wolves was the decline of the elk herds in montana. Is too kill every last one of them again and keep the alloted tags the same and over a 25 yr period c if the elk population explodes or stays the same. I think that would be a fair study.

It's focused on the Rocky Mtn population because of the advancement of liberalized seasons. But make no mistake, the goal is to reinstate wolves in all areas where they can be supported. The Great Lakes population is the case study in how the ESA can be misinterpreted based on past litigation issues relative to the specifics within the law regarding what exactly "significant native range and habitat" looks like at a macro level. Those groups are claiming that the Midwest states of Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and others should have nacent wolf populations as well since that's where they existed. They discount the human factor significantly and focused simply on undeveloped land and sufficient prey base. These same groups successfully got the CO initiative passed, are working diligently to bolster the Mexican wolf populations and they are ardent supporters of Red Wolf conservation on the Eastern seaboard. So it isn't just the west that they're focused on, but because the Legislatures painted such a fantastic target for themselves, that's where the best fundraising is for the serial litigants (I knew I should have copyrighted that freaking phrase).

It's disingenuous to claim that wolves were the reason that the Northern Yellowstone elk herd died off, and it entirely ignores the political motivations both from the Montana legislature, and FWP in the heavy handed effort to cull the Northern Herd through late season "gut hunts." That hunt, coupled with the rising number of predators across the spectrum, led to the crash. Eliminate the late season hunt, and you'd still have a ton of surplus elk that neighboring landowners would have significant issues with moreso than they do now. Take a look at the Absaroka Elk Ecology Project to see some pretty informative science relative to elk distribution and reaction in heavy wolf presence. Now, the Northern Herrd is within objective, which is what the politicians want.

And as many folks have pointed out, those mature timber stands provide excellent security cover from predators, and from heat. Northern Rockies have a ton of habitat issues ongoing, but mature stands of timber aren't necessarily one of them.

Ok I respect your involvement and experience in these issues. I was also specifically responding to a post saying elk did pretty decent in areas like Yellowstone after wolves were introduced. The elk would disagree. Your statement about the Yellowstone elk is DISINGENUOUS and you KNOW that. You have too much experience to not know that sometimes 1 plus 1 just equals 2. 19000 elk plus wolves introduced equal 17000 elk gone. It doesn’t matter that they wanted the herd reduced. They did eliminate the late season hunts. Wolves were introduced and thousands of elk disappeared. I know you know how the North American wildlife model works. Would it have been better to sell more tags for a late hunt to reduce the herd or let the wolves eat them. I have heard it all but in this herd it’s simply 1 plus 1 equals 2. You can try to deflect to any other factors but in this example wolves were the X factor for elk declines. In other areas I know there were other factors that led to elk decline in addition to wolves. This is not one of them and to suggest since they wanted to reduce the herd makes a difference is disingenuous. On your other points thank you. I was aware of Great Lakes and Colorado regarding wolves. I am actually pleased to hear they are pursuing wolf reintroduction into ALL areas of their historic range. I firmly believe that the only way we will be able to make rational management decisions is when most people actually live where they exist. I also agree with mature timber stand providing benefits of cover and shade etc. I misspoke and was referring to the mature timber stands of 30 years ago lying on the forest floor that we could have harvested 20 and 30 years ago. Now it’s useless acreage just waiting to explode with the first lightning strike. There are places where wolves play a small role in elk declines but there are places where they are the problem. Idaho is administering these new rules by specific units. We still have an area behind my house where thousands of acres are closed to wolf hunting. There is plenty of wolves in there. I feel Idaho can show they have the right mechanisms in place to properly manage wolves under the new rules. The selway is another area where wolves are the problem in these areas the most liberal rules will apply. This is an area you can justify government shooters and trappers as recreational hunting and trapping is too difficult to be effective. We will have areas completely closed to trapping, some remain the same and some will be very liberal with all methods. Sounds like good management to me. I like wolves but I also like elk, mismanagement of either makes me sick. Getting sued for good management makes me really sick. It’s a ridiculous game

The hubris with the serial litigants and some of the park people, is that they don't think humans are part of nature. Interesting 10 year old article here.

That was 10 years ago. Here's a good article about the Cody herd from 17. https://nature.berkeley.edu/middletonlab/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/12-19.pdf

While this article is about grouse, the implication for all wildlife that live in the west is pretty significant. Less water - less wildlife all around. https://wyomingwildlife.org/wyoming...xkXCFWdigYxhuucEIyd06aB81jtxSuuvDnVYcBDPRccaY

Ok I respect your involvement and experience in these issues. I was also specifically responding to a post saying elk did pretty decent in areas like Yellowstone after wolves were introduced. The elk would disagree. Your statement about the Yellowstone elk is DISINGENUOUS and you KNOW that. You have too much experience to not know that sometimes 1 plus 1 just equals 2. 19000 elk plus wolves introduced equal 17000 elk gone. It doesn’t matter that they wanted the herd reduced. They did eliminate the late season hunts. Wolves were introduced and thousands of elk disappeared. I know you know how the North American wildlife model works. Would it have been better to sell more tags for a late hunt to reduce the herd or let the wolves eat them. I have heard it all but in this herd it’s simply 1 plus 1 equals 2. You can try to deflect to any other factors but in this example wolves were the X factor for elk declines. In other areas I know there were other factors that led to elk decline in addition to wolves. This is not one of them and to suggest since they wanted to reduce the herd makes a difference is disingenuous. On your other points thank you. I was aware of Great Lakes and Colorado regarding wolves. I am actually pleased to hear they are pursuing wolf reintroduction into ALL areas of their historic range. I firmly believe that the only way we will be able to make rational management decisions is when most people actually live where they exist. I also agree with mature timber stand providing benefits of cover and shade etc. I misspoke and was referring to the mature timber stands of 30 years ago lying on the forest floor that we could have harvested 20 and 30 years ago. Now it’s useless acreage just waiting to explode with the first lightning strike. There are places where wolves play a small role in elk declines but there are places where they are the problem. Idaho is administering these new rules by specific units. We still have an area behind my house where thousands of acres are closed to wolf hunting. There is plenty of wolves in there. I feel Idaho can show they have the right mechanisms in place to properly manage wolves under the new rules. The selway is another area where wolves are the problem in these areas the most liberal rules will apply. This is an area you can justify government shooters and trappers as recreational hunting and trapping is too difficult to be effective. We will have areas completely closed to trapping, some remain the same and some will be very liberal with all methods. Sounds like good management to me. I like wolves but I also like elk, mismanagement of either makes me sick. Getting sued for good management makes me really sick. It’s a ridiculous game

The bolded part is a values statement. It's something that I wrestle with a lot. Are humans more important than anything else, and does wildlife exist simply for our use? I tend to fall on the side of the animals in this regard, since humans are accelerating the destruction of the planet simply by the scope of our breeding.

But for the Northern Herd, I disagree that 1 plus 1 equals two here. I lived it. I watched it happen, and that late season hunt went on far longer than it should have. 20 years after wolf reintroduction it was still going on. https://www.bozemandailychronicle.c...cle_533d496b-f36a-5424-afb7-2ffe99728aad.html

So if we want to complain about bull cow ratios, etc, then let's be honest when there were bulls getting whacked on that late season hunt as they migrated out of the park. Or we can talk about the effect of bears on elk calves and what the increase of grizzlies, black bears, lions AND wolves means in terms of predator-prey dynamics, along with recognizing how much winter ground has been lost to development as people eye up their 10 acre ranchettes then graze it to the ground with their horses, llamas, etc.

I don't know much about the Selway. What I've heard from folks in the know is that the habitat issues in there are far more limiting than wolves, but when you do have high densities of wolves and low reproduction rates of elk, yeah, removing wolves will cause a short term spike in elk to hopefully help the herd get back to where it should be, but then we miss the follow up question of "can that place actually hold that many animals still?"

It's never simple or easy in wildlife mgt.

I don't know much about the Selway. What I've heard from folks in the know is that the habitat issues in there are far more limiting than wolves, but when you do have high densities of wolves and low reproduction rates of elk, yeah, removing wolves will cause a short term spike in elk to hopefully help the herd get back to where it should be, but then we miss the follow up question of "can that place actually hold that many animals still?"

About the only habitat issue I hear anymore with regards to the Selway is with regards to knapweed. I fully struggle with that as lots of zones have tons of noxious weeds and yet the elk pops aren’t way below what could be supported. I pulled a bunch of skeleton weed out of a road yesterday in a unit the bio describes as highly productive because of the logging, etc. and yet it probably has a greater diversity of noxious weeds than the Selway where they’re considered a problem

About the only habitat issue I hear anymore with regards to the Selway is with regards to knapweed. I fully struggle with that as lots of zones have tons of noxious weeds and yet the elk pops aren’t way below what could be supported. I pulled a bunch of skeleton weed out of a road yesterday in a unit the bio describes as highly productive because of the logging, etc. and yet it probably has a greater diversity of noxious weeds than the Selway where they’re considered a problem

Here's the habitat issues laid out in the Lolo/Selway plan from 10 years ago were based largely around the need for fire to eliminate conifer encroachment: https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/wildlife/planLoloSelwayPredation.pdf

I don't see how that changes without big burns, and we'd not see the impact from that for a few more years anyway. Interesting stuff in there relative to low birth rates and predation availability too.

This is the Selway I was referring to. Southern portion of the Selway and Northern part of the Frank Church. Lot of fires and they have been allowed to burn. I know a guy that came across a bunch of elk that burned up in the Gold Pan Fire. That happens.
In a bit of irony, with all the talk of climate change and global warming......."Despite an abbreviated itinerary due to a delay in clearing the road of a deep winter snowpack, the field trip included insightful presentations and lively discussions with a diverse group of researchers, managers, residents, and other stakeholders."

Maybe the fact that the wolf reintroduction took place close to here in 1995 may have some impact on the current elk population?

The bolded part is a values statement. It's something that I wrestle with a lot. Are humans more important than anything else, and does wildlife exist simply for our use? I tend to fall on the side of the animals in this regard, since humans are accelerating the destruction of the planet simply by the scope of our breeding.

But for the Northern Herd, I disagree that 1 plus 1 equals two here. I lived it. I watched it happen, and that late season hunt went on far longer than it should have. 20 years after wolf reintroduction it was still going on. https://www.bozemandailychronicle.c...cle_533d496b-f36a-5424-afb7-2ffe99728aad.html

So if we want to complain about bull cow ratios, etc, then let's be honest when there were bulls getting whacked on that late season hunt as they migrated out of the park. Or we can talk about the effect of bears on elk calves and what the increase of grizzlies, black bears, lions AND wolves means in terms of predator-prey dynamics, along with recognizing how much winter ground has been lost to development as people eye up their 10 acre ranchettes then graze it to the ground with their horses, llamas, etc.

👍 I appreciate your insights you do bring a lot to the discussion. You reminded me There is a lot of factors to consider with elk populations. I still think it’s wolves with the Yellowstone herd as that was the only variable that literally changed overnight. On the selway it seems to have lots of excellent habitat. They have had numerous burns in there and lots of excellent forage growth in those areas. 15? Years ago we rode our horses in 32 miles into what appeared to be perfect elk habitat. I got the directions right down to where to camp where there was a spring for water. I received it from an old timer that couldn’t hunt the area anymore. He had racks galore from this area in his shop and old vhs tapes calling in mature bulls and literally taking his pick. If there was ever a good old days that guy lived it. I never seen one elk turd, one elk track and definitely 0 live elk. We cut the trip short and we were in and out in 3-4 days. Riding out along the river and close to the trailhead we met the rancher on his place. We discussed our surprise at the lack of elk or even sign and he just laughed and pointed to some cages. “This is ground zero for wolves boys. They kept them there and fed them roadkill before letting them go.” He said half laughing and half sighing. There were old rubs and other sign of past elk activity but really nothing even remotely fresh. That was before any management of wolves was allowed. Today I think the elk might be on the upswing just due to second hand reports from other hunters. There is still vast amounts of habitat in the selway devoid of elk. I did the math on elk harvest this year for the frank church and it equals 1 elk taken per 11750 acres of land in there. I’m going in this year but probably just deer hunt. I am not a biologist but I know what I have seen. Every time I read a peer reviewed “study “ it contradicts what I have seen completely. I will take your word for g-bears eating a lot of calves in Yellowstone. Makes sense. But I have read articles saying lions and black bears are the problem with some of our local elk herds. This makes no sense because I have been hunting those areas for lion and bears for 30 years. My experience is we have way LESS lions and bears than we had in the 1990’s.. Those areas were polluted with elk in the 90’s if you didn’t get 3 -4 bugles in a drainage it was considered poor hunting to me. What changed? It was wolves moving in. But the studies always blame something else. I have lived on the same acreage for 21 years and my neighbors have for over forty. Neither one of us ever seen an elk on our property until the wolves showed up on the forest service behind us. We both think the wolves are pushing them out of the public ground high county onto the lower private which is our ground. I could get an easy elk every year but I haven’t shot one on my property. I feel like they have nowhere else to go. I agree with you on too many people and not enough land. I would also fall on the side of the animals. That’s been a problem for a long time but we have a solution that works. It’s called the North American wildlife model. If we don’t manage all predators to keep a surplus of ungulates that system fails. We can all have our own world views and feelings about wildlife but at the end of the day it all comes down to MONEY. Without excess elk and deer to create revenue through license sales the elk are eventually screwed. I probably come off as a wolf hater but I am not. I really like having a MANAGED population of wolves. I feel like me and my partner are at the knowledge level finally to be much more successful at trapping wolves, I don’t want Idaho to reduce wolves by 90 percent and these new rules aren’t designed too and won’t do that. I don’t understand why we can’t acknowledge when wolves are the problem and everyone always try to deflect it to something else. Usually it’s habitat because that’s the hardest variable to prove or disprove. A lot of times wolves are NOT the problem at all but an easy scapegoat. Sometimes they are the problem why is that so hard to acknowledge? I think in Yellowstone, the selway, and partially the Clearwater wolves have been the problem and still are. Some local areas I hunt wolves are definitely the problem but I have seen great progress with hunting and trapping of wolves in some of them. Sorry for the ranting . I just can’t buy biologist reports that completely contradicts what I have seen. But I’m just one guy hunting a pretty small part of the country every year.

I think there's often a disconnect between casual observation and the scientific approach, but I would never discount anecdotal evidence, as I've seen it be proved out far too many times with the science. There's plenty of times when anecdotal evidence doesn't prove out as well.

We may just have to agree to disagree. I really do appreciate the way you approach the discussion, @Trap. Much respect & admiration. Cheers!

..and are you now justifying the actions of the legislature because of what Wild Earth Guardians are doing?
I've made it clear multiple occasions I'm not a fan of Idaho's soap box 90% proclamation.

I think it's a populous stance for their constituents...

I believe MT sucks at their management of wolves in R1 as they are re: elk, etc... because of the prior pandering to eco extremists... We've now shifted to enough is enough and face the pendulum swing the other direction... smoke a pack a day mentality.

Idaho finally said enough's enough as well - how they handled it... meh, could have been legitimately reduced w/o the political posturing...

However, D's swung us one direction and R's are swinging us the other... both blaming to fix the others F-ups.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

However, D's swung us one direction and R's are swinging us the other... both blaming to fix the others F-ups.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

I take a bit of issue here. There was a huge breakthrough with Dems & Reps on this issue when we got delisting through congress. That was legitimately led by Jon Tester, Max Baucus and Harry Reid on the Senate side. It was led by Mike Simpson on the House side. Those folks worked together tirelessly to find the right approach for management of Rocky Mtn wolves. That effort was ultimately supported by the Obama Whitehouse, who could have derailed that delisting easily. I've sat in hearings where the Bush II USFWS chief was raked over coals because he stood up for the law, and the appropriate management of wolves under the ESA in Wyoming. He was darn near tarred and feathered.

The first bill Bullock signed was the bill to liberalize harvest of wolves. We got that to his desk with massive margins from Dems and Reps. Schweitzer was on board with the 10J rule (authorizing a wolf cull to benefit ungulates) that @tjones, @shoots-straight and the RCWFA were going after for the Bitterroot herds. He was also a huge fan of delisting even if he was a little pissed Max and Jon got the credit and he didn't.

With wolves in the west, the balance of power has rested pretty squarely on the right. MT was in the middle of that pack with some really solid bi-partisan work to set up a wolf management plan that worked for everyone except the extremists on both sides. ID managed to pull it together as well, while WY simply retreated to a program that kept all of us listed far longer than needed. So I'm having a tough time seeing where in the west the pendulum went to the left anywhere close to where it's gone on the right.

Now that the pendulum has swung into the right extreme, we get bills that eliminate science & mandate a harvest level regardless of what our professionals think.

That's dangerous for all species of wildlife, because that kind of political management just spreads, especially when politicians see how much middle-aged white dudes love to hate wolves. We lit up Helena this last session when the political management of elk came up, but we were totally cool with it on wolves.

Politicians noticed, and they'll adapt for next session.

Ben, I always appreciate your knowledge on this topic though... 800% over USFWS minimum (assuming FWP POM is a fair representation) is far beyond excessive. R's have been arguing this for a good while on deaf D ears.

My share of R1 and down south, Eco-extremists were placated with ridiculous quotas for large districts... my area, as an example has a quota of 2...
Southern MT there's another with a quota of 1...

I've been advised by FWP R1 and one from here on HT, this is due to the proximity to National Parks in agreement w/ the eco demands.

It was great bi-partisan work to break free from the eco-extremes and actually begin State managed wolf action.

After that... the political division built the longer the #'s grew, year after year. Constituents have been pushing this for a long while.

It’s hard for me not to get angry over the fact that the same politicians who want to significantly lower wolf numbers also want a 30% reduction of elk across the state.

To the point that expanded shoulder seasons will include the late winter harvest of elk on national forests… in unit 314 which is the epicenter of that drastic reduction of elk from 19,000 to 2000 quoted by an earlier poster.

It’s almost as if this administration’s head of wildlife management is a former Marine who is taking that old saying, “Kill em all and let God sort em out”, to heart.

Yes, the areas around Glacier & YNP have low quotas. That's two small parts of the state. Are you saying that wolves deserve no consideration in how they are managed along two of MT's largest economic drivers where people have been spending millions to see live wolves? Those wolves, for better or worse, are well known, well photographed, named and have strong constituencies in the business world around the parks, as well as among the people who come to those parks.

800% over min is meaningless and ignores the reality of large carnivore population dynamics and actual management prescriptions as well as the myriad of other issues goin on with wildlife habitat across the west.

Since delisting, wolf hunting has been significantly liberalized, tag costs reduced, increased trapping opportunities exist and landowners have every tool they've asked for including depredation payments, ability to shoot on sight and have the gov't come help deal with wolves. In 21, it went off the rails. Now, the status is in jeopardy.

My point isn't that increased harvest is bad, it's that political management of any species is extremely bad. We had been trying to get FWP to increase their tools for recreational harvest including reducing the setback on closed FS roads that legitimately do not see heavy winter use from recreationalists. We explored the idea of a wolf "6 pack" tag at a reduced cost, but politics got in the way of that, because of a bill that mandates wolf license revenue be spent on capture, collar and kill rather than just wolf management (You can thank Debbie Barrett and Mike Phillips for that one - great bipartisan mess up there).

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back