Model 700 7mm Help please

PonoHunt

Ok, so I am getting a little frustrated. I am looking at buying a new rifle and am getting conflicting information from the gun shops when I call (when they actually have time to answer any of my questions that is). Then I try to do a little research via internet and can't seem to find the answers either, so of course there is only one place to go next.......any help from you guys would be appreciated.

I am looking at getting a new Remington Model 700 7mm, I want a stainless barrel but I also want the detachable magazine (CDL model is the only one that offers this magazine option I believe). So, my question is this. Can I get the Model 700 7mm CDL model in stainless barrel?

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm not positive, but I think the two 700 models they offered with a detachable magazine (CDL DM and SPS DM) were only offered with a blued finish.

Why do you want the DM? I've got one and could care one way or the other. I'd go with the standard SPS, and put it in a B&C Ti stock.

I too don't care about having the detachable magazine, my ADL doesn't have it and neither does my custom.

However, if you are set on that, here is what I would do. Find the rifle you really like and just have all the metal hard chromed. Its a nicer finish than stainless anyway. Looks like a brushed nickel when done.

I think you can have the barrel and action hard chromed for around $150 or so...

My buddy had his Rem 700 XCR modified at a gun shop - removed the old and added in the detachable mag. Alhmans in Morristown MN
Looks awesome

Why do you want the DM? I've got one and could care one way or the other. I'd go with the standard SPS, and put it in a B&C Ti stock.

Bambi - I have never had a DM on a rifle before and don't really need it, but with the kids getting older and starting to come along on hunts, I was thinking that it would be convenient to just take the magazine out when we got back to the truck or camp, to make sure rifle was mag was completely empty after hunting.

Maybe this is a question for Critter, since you have kids out in the field with you a lot now, you see any need for the DM for ease of just pulling mag? I really do not need it, never really needed it in the past, but was thinking it would be something nice to have. But now I am weighing the convenience of it versus not getting the SS rifle, or having to customize it afterwords with Chrome.

I have a kid, I am still a kid. I do not see the need for a dm?
My son gets 1 bullet, make it count.
Same with shotgunning, 1 shell.

I wouldn't buy a rifle with a specific feature for that level of convenience. When taking my 5yo, the convenience of loading/unloading the weapon, no matter the system, is about the most 'convenient' part of the day! :D Get the 700 you want with any of the traditional (ADL/BDL) configurations. A DBM won't make life any more simple and may actually complicate things. Kids can't lose/misplace mags attached to the rifle...

I wouldn't buy a rifle with a specific feature for that level of convenience. When taking my 5yo, the convenience of loading/unloading the weapon, no matter the system, is about the most 'convenient' part of the day! :D Get the 700 you want with any of the traditional (ADL/BDL) configurations. A DBM won't make life any more simple and may actually complicate things. Kids can't lose/misplace mags attached to the rifle...

Thanks for the input, I have been persuaded that DM is not necessary, especially at the cost of me getting the rifle I want.

I second the browning x-bolt idea. It has your detachable magazine, and will most likely be more accurate out of the box. I like remingtons, and have a stack of them, but they usually take some tweaking to shoot as good as a browning does out of the box.

I would definitely get the Browning or a Savage. I think that Remington quality has definitely taken a nose dive after seeing the last one that I bought-a 7 mag SPS. The trigger is a joke out of the box and it just does not feel the same as the old Remington rifles did. I have to admit that it is a good shooter, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back