Mistake or not???

I am in the same boat..I have taken my wife on some test hikes but it is different doing it all day..

Lots of good advice already provided so hopefully she enjoys it as I hope my wife does too...😁

Another big key on your part is be patient with her (I know this first hand and I need to follow my own advice). A lot of the things we kinda do second nature elk hunting is new or hard for them. Putting a lot of miles on, not sleeping the best and the ups and downs of hunting can put us in a mood also and we can lash out.

My wife has worked enough cattle with me she knows when I get that way to tune me out or walk away. On 2nd thought I think she has just tuned me out all together.

My wife and I have been married for 28 years now. Both of us come from families that hunt so it is safe to say that hunting is in our blood. Being from WI we have hunted whitetails and black bears. I got into elk hunting about 17 years ago, but recently really got into it. Now that our kids are grown I have decided to take my wife on her first archery elk hunt. She has harvested deer and bear with her bow but never an elk. Last year I went on a high elevation rifle elk hunt in CO and shot a decent 6x6. This was one of the most difficult hunts I had ever been on and I loved it. We are headed back to the same area this year but only with archery equipment. Am I making a big mistake by starting her out on such a physically demanding hunt?? She is either going to love it or hate it. We have been working out all Spring/Summer and she is convince I am taking her on this hunt for the insurance money!!! LOL.
Let me know your thoughts, would you take your other half on an extreme hunt right out of the gate?? No right or wrong answer.
I’ve told my wife in a couple more years when I’ve learned more I’m taking her Sheep Hunting in Alaska sooooo🤷🏻‍♂️👍🏻

I took my soon to be wife elk and deer hunting in MT a few months after we started dating. The next year we did a 12 day fly in sheep and bear hunt. And then a 10 day fly out moose hunt a month later. She was hooked after the sheep hunt and has been a number of times since. She could care less about any other hunting... right to the top. She wants to shoot a big elk, but that's about it beside sheep hunting.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll both have a good time!

Go at her pace and keep your expectations low. If you get one you get one if you dont you dont. Thats how I handle almost all hunts with my wife.

MY standard run through the mountains like a mad man only works with a few select friends of mine. lol

Wisconsin hunter here, wife hunted with me for years in in WI, I hunted with friends out west. Always had a hard time getting a group together. A few years ago, had a planned hunt go sour. wife offered to go with for my birthday the next year.
Not sure how an extreme hunt would go. Would probably be harder on me,lol.
We hunt in different area's every time. Theirs so much to see, guess we look at it as it sure beets hiking/hunting in WI.
I know my wife and won't push her limits.

I always feel that getting people into elk hunting is a process. If my wife ever wanted to go…I would set out reasonable hiking pace, bring a camera for lots of field photos, and emphasize the experience. Hearing elk bugle, the beautiful mountains, little streams, etc.

Surprise her with something special. When I was getting my son into hunting. I had to hike slower and really took time to show him everything around him. On our first elk hunt one of his favorite parts was the wild raspberry patch that we found. We lost probably 1/2 hour while he got his fill of the wild raspberries. I also brought a bottle of root beer for him and his favorite candy. We hiked our butts off to get to a saddle and he was spent. I had packed a down coat for him and when we got to the saddle for a rest I gave him the root beer, candy and wrapped him in the coat. We sat in the dark and watched the sun rise. He asked me to take a picture with my cell and send it to his.

That is the screen saver on his computer. We got into a great herd just after sunrise and fell in love with elk hunting.

I did the same last year on one of my best friends archery elk hunt. We did a hell hike with our two sons in tow and I did the same thing. Brought two cold sprites for the kids and two beer for the adults. We got into the spot we wanted to be at 2 hours before sunset and we were looking over a great spot. It was hot and we we tired. Breaking out the cold beer and cold sprite with the kids favorite candy was awesome. We found a bit of shade and took 10-15 minutes break. The two boys have not stopped talking about how good the sprite and candy was. It was a huge mood swing for the group. I really feel little things like that can make the entire hunt for new hunters.

Take your wife’s favorite drink and snack and plan a little break (picnic) on a random day. And be sure to take lots of pictures. Putting the ficus on her comfort/experience over the elk during hunt will definitely help her love elk hunting. JMO

Once my wife heard a bull bugle, she has been hooked. She is all about the archery elk. Just the thrill and chance at seeing/hearing them is where it’s at. While my wife has too hunted and harvested whitetail, mule deer, black bear and antelope….nothing will compare to elk for her! I say go for it, and let her decide what she likes

That sounds miserable huge mistake. 😂😂 We need a detailed report on this one.

Update.... we are leaving for Colorado next Friday the 17th. I am a nervous wreck while she is as cool as a cucumber. She has no expectation, while I am going to work my butt off to get her in a position to hear elk, see elk and hopefully get an opportunity. Pretty much in that order. She has busted her but all Summer, we shoot our bows every day, hike every other and practice the calls daily. The extended forecast looks favorable. All we need now is safe travels and the elk gods to smile every so slightly in our favor. I will provide a detailed recap of the do's and don'ts.......

Could be a mistake, could be awesome, depending on your wife, expectations of both of you and attitude

Keep us posted. Sounds like fun. Be very thankful that your wife is willing to hunt with you

Update.... we are leaving for Colorado next Friday the 17th. I am a nervous wreck while she is as cool as a cucumber. She has no expectation, while I am going to work my butt off to get her in a position to hear elk, see elk and hopefully get an opportunity. Pretty much in that order. She has busted her but all Summer, we shoot our bows every day, hike every other and practice the calls daily. The extended forecast looks favorable. All we need now is safe travels and the elk gods to smile every so slightly in our favor. I will provide a detailed recap of the do's and don'ts.......

Best of luck!! If you need a hand with a pack out send me a message!

Lucky man. My wife used to hunt with me, and was very good at hunting. She could shoot a duck and you didn't even need a dog to retrieve it. The shot (dead) duck would be incoming (crashing) in such a way that I would have to duck or it would hit me in the face in the blind. Seriously!!!! But, when she gave birth to her second child, a daughter, it all changed. She said something inside her made her loose interest in the challenge, death and result of hunting. :-(

My lovely little late wife was 4'10" and eighty pounds with clothes on. She wasn't tough enough for my kind of big game hunting and she knew it. Wish she was around for my Africa trips though. That kind of driving around to spot and stalk would be enjoyable for her. She'd be happy enough waiting in the truck. Seeing all that game would be enough for her ... hundreds of animals every day and a couple dozen species. Quite the show.

Lucky man. My wife used to hunt with me, and was very good at hunting. She could shoot a duck and you didn't even need a dog to retrieve it. The shot (dead) duck would be incoming (crashing) in such a way that I would have to duck or it would hit me in the face in the blind. Seriously!!!! But, when she gave birth to her second child, a daughter, it all changed. She said something inside her made her loose interest in the challenge, death and result of hunting. :-(
That's okay. She's a sensitive person with deep feelings. Better than being stuck with a shallow phoney or someone who tries to bully you into giving up what means something to you.

Max: I sense some concern that your wife may want to bail in the middle of the trip if this turns out to be too arduous? Unless you hunt alone, there's always a risk something can happen with someone else in the party. Last year my nephew decided he was too sick to continue elk hunting so I had to drive him five hours back to his home. No sense in my brother doing it because I couldn't hunt on my tag without him being with me. So he stayed and hunted with the rest of the guys. It was a pain in the ass but what can ya do?

I don't think your gal will hang up hunting if this trip turns out to be too much for her. If that happens I suggest switching gears. Get a bird dog and some decoys. When she's had a taste of that, come back west for upland hunting. Once your dog pushes up a squawking rooster in front of her that gleams in the morning light like a Tokyo LED billboard, she'll be hooked forever. May as well take the archery gear to Goodwill.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back