Mistake or not???

5 years ago I met my SO. Former Physical trainer, and works in the running industry. Doesn't hunt, but from a family where her parents did.
I started by taking her on the scouting trip. In the summer, in a campground, lots of good food and easy hikes.
Her response "I see why you love this so much!"

I'd have a plan B in place with her sitting wallows and waterholes similar to how you hunt back home. Treat day one as a scouting day with plans to sit somewhere that evening. The key will be if the bulls are bugling. That may get her fired up and spur her on to chase bugles. If not, hunt water and read a book.

Max: I sense some concern that your wife may want to bail in the middle of the trip if this turns out to be too arduous? Unless you hunt alone, there's always a risk something can happen with someone else in the party. Last year my nephew decided he was too sick to continue elk hunting so I had to drive him five hours back to his home. No sense in my brother doing it because I couldn't hunt on my tag without him being with me. So he stayed and hunted with the rest of the guys. It was a pain in the ass but what can ya do?

I don't think your gal will hang up hunting if this trip turns out to be too much for her. If that happens I suggest switching gears. Get a bird dog and some decoys. When she's had a taste of that, come back west for upland hunting. Once your dog pushes up a squawking rooster in front of her that gleams in the morning light like a Tokyo LED billboard, she'll be hooked forever. May as well take the archery gear to Goodwill.
Ontario, thanks for the reply. I have been blessed with a great woman. She is way stronger than I am in spirit. There is no quit in her. I am sure the stress I feel is what guides must experience trying to get their clients on game.

We have 2 yellow labs that are full of the same but the wife has never expressed an interest in hunting upland birds or waterfowl. Big game yes. Next week at this time will will be on the road!!!

Ontario, thanks for the reply. I have been blessed with a great woman. She is way stronger than I am in spirit. There is no quit in her. I am sure the stress I feel is what guides must experience trying to get their clients on game.

We have 2 yellow labs that are full of the same but the wife has never expressed an interest in hunting upland birds or waterfowl. Big game yes. Next week at this time will will be on the road!!!
Hmmm. Interesting. Try taking her to the trap range. A couple boxes of shells and a few rounds with a good coach should get her headed in the right direction. I love big game hunting but watching a good dog work birds simply can't be topped. Sure beats sitting in a blind for hours/days on end waiting for something to walk by.

That's okay. She's a sensitive person with deep feelings. Better than being stuck with a shallow phoney or someone who tries to bully you into giving up what means something to you.
Thanks OntarioHunter. She is sweet, awesome, supports my hunting, and hasn't asked me to change. In fact, on our first date, I asked about her birth date. She said Nov 1st. I paused and said, I'm sorry about that because that's usually opening deer season and I've hunted them all my life and that isn't changing. She smiled and said it she was okay with that, we'd just celebrate her BDay on a different day! Dang nice of her. She's a keeper and she's definitely outclassed my game! I can't believe she's still mine now for over 35 years! She's also my best friend and supporter of my hunting passions! She said she would rather back me in my hunting vices than having to worry about me hanging out in the bars after work as a vice. :)

After 28 years, I feel like you'd know the answer better than we do. ;)

Hope you two have a great hunt, congratulations on staying together. Hopefully this hunt will make the bond even stronger. :)
Exactly….you know what she can handle better than anyone.

Update..... Just got back from 7 days in the Colorado backcountry. The answer to all my questions were answered and I would hunt with my wife any time - any where. She was an awesome partner to have in camp. Even thou we came home with empty coolers and a pocket of tags she is willing to do it again. We hunted hard hiking 5-7 miles a day and she never complained. She had no problem with sleeping in a tent, cold night time temps, crapping in a hole, and of course all of climbing.
For some reason all of the sign I saw last year was not replaced by fresh sign. We saw very little fresh sign and saw no elk. We did see 1 hell of a nice billy and 1 young bighorn sheep. The weather was perfect just no talking from the elk. Now it is time to start dreaming about next years adventure.
Thanks for all the comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back