Caribou Gear Tarp

Missouri River Breaks

My buddy and I will be hunting to the east in unit 798. Any word on the conditions in that area. We've been religiously looking at topos and GE in order trying to find the best access but we may need to consider a new plan. Thanks to all you guys who live out there and are willing to share this information.

Can anyone give me any info on the road into Devils Creek and what the boat ramp is like there? We're planning on putting in there to hunt the north side this year, but I haven't been into that area before...

The road to Devils Creek is in as good a shape as it can be. Lots of gravel like normal lots of dust and lots of pot holes. Like most years just take your time getting there and you'll be in good shape, boat and camper too. Just spoke with a friend of mine that lives a Brussett and him and his wife took their boat down ten days ago and went boating. I personally havent been there since the last weekend of June but it was good then.

My buddy and I will be hunting to the east in unit 798. Any word on the conditions in that area. We've been religiously looking at topos and GE in order trying to find the best access but we may need to consider a new plan. Thanks to all you guys who live out there and are willing to share this information.

Several big thunder showers all summer from Flowing wells to Winnett and north.
At the end of June most of the roads were in good shape but a few roads with good drainage above them were washed out. I know the main county road on the Snow Creek road was washed out big time but they may have it back together again not sure on a lot of the trails and other main roads.

Big Fin, yes we do indeed have a place for lodging up in the area.
We got a bit of a last minute start due to me getting injured shortly before we left Indiana to come home.

We are putting the finishing touches on the place now and Sarah has gotten with the gal from the state who does the pre-opening inspection. I am thinking that within a day or three, of opening archery we should be ready to take on our first guests. Please check us out @zimsinthebreaks.com We would love to see some of you Huntalkers show up in the very near future.

Back to road closings, I will stand by my advise to check with the Sheriff before you count on using any of the Crooked Creek crossings. Some will be open, and some will not. Save yourself trouble and call ahead this year.

Anyone know how the roads are on the north side south of malta in unit 622. Have archery tag on that side of the pond.

I know a couple of guys that have scouted up there and there has been no mention of any road closures or "wash-outs" (northside).

Same report . . . . very green with water flowing in most of the "creeks" (still). Grass is about 2 to 3 feet high, no or very little sweet clover, a lot of mosquitos and "no see'ems". Elk are spread out, because of the abundance of water and forage.

Good luck to everyone . . . let us know how you did.

I have never seen so much water in the breaks. most of the dirt tanks are full. But some of them also washed out. and are mostly mud. There is green grass everywere but no sweet clover at least on the north side.

mtmuley, a friend took me up there about a week ago, I had never been to that part of Montana before. It was just the short scenic road, just north of the river in 621. I had hiked down off some ridges and into some coulees looking for some elk shots, but didnt see anything. Then when we were driving out, between Sipary Ann Creek and Duvall Creek I saw a young doe. It is very green up there. Would have loved to have gone on a long hike, well away from the road, but I was a guest.

CV8RLHW.png

VwQE7te.png

Thanks katqanna. Sure is beautiful out there right now. I haven't hunted the Breaks in awhile, I can't wait to get back. mtmuley

I was told that in a couple weeks, maybe a week and a half at this point, the place will be packed with rutting elk. While I wont be able to hunt this year, I would sure like to go back up and see all the elk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back