Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Missouri Breaks muley trip - Fort peck area?

isu22andy

Me and a buddy are thinking about heading up to this area this fall to try our hand at muley hunting . We are thinking about taking a boat and hitting the hard to access areas. Anyone have any luck up this way or what to expect? Looks like some rough terrain which is good. Thinking about camping from the boat. Some says it got hit hard in the past by blue tongue, has it recovered any ? Can we draw on zero points ? Willing to trade info on Antelope. Open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Last edited:
My advice is to not hunt 652 without a permit and hunt a little farther in then Songdog did:cool: Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. Looks like songdog did alright! Anyone else have trouble reading the draw stats for Montana ? The unit I want to hunt 632 isnt listed. 630-20 is ? Ive never hunted Montana before but have in Wyoming . Wyoming draw stats are easy to read. Maybe Im slow??

A lot of people do the boat hunt around Peck - I think there were some threads during/after hunting season that could give you an idea of the quality you should expect

this is an idea many have, you'll still have competition and in my opinion there is better places to hunt in Montana.

A lot of people have the same idea as you imo. I would much rather hunt that country from a vehicle then have to worry about trying to find a bay out of the wind to park your boat. Depending on the pressure it can be a challenge just to find a bay that doesn't already have a boat or camp setup in it.

there is better places to hunt in Montana.

Exactly. I would head to the Custer if I were you. Easy to get away from people and the age class is tremendous. No need for a boat. Just be prepared for a huge taxidermy bill when you get home!

Hmm. Well I was just going off a lead I got from a fella I drank some beers with in Wyoming that has hunted the area before and done well. I guess Ill have to reconsider.

Exactly. I would head to the Custer if I were you. Easy to get away from people and the age class is tremendous. No need for a boat. Just be prepared for a huge taxidermy bill when you get home!
The only Custer I know of is in SE Montana? Is that the area you are talking about ? We dipped into it bow hunting in NW South Dakota but didnt see much due to it being so thick, The whole spot and stalk game was tough there but maybe we didnt give it a fair opportunity.

The only Custer I know of is in SE Montana? Is that the area you are talking about ? We dipped into it bow hunting in NW South Dakota but didnt see much due to it being so thick, The whole spot and stalk game was tough there but maybe we didnt give it a fair opportunity.

He’s being facetious. SE Montana deer hunting is a bit of polarizing subject here.

You've stumbled into some reaaaaaaalllll sensitive subjects around here.

I've been trying to con my friends with boats to do something similar for years with no success. Not sure if the hunting is super or not, but I wanted to see the country and thought it would be fun to do something different.

Hunted it many times I'd leave the boat at home and put on the hiking boots checking out glassing spots all day. The biggest buck I killed was laying within shooting distance of the road tucked away hiding. They are smart in that country lots of pressure.

My advice is to not hunt 652 without a permit and hunt a little farther in then Songdog did:cool: Good Luck!

I'd say this is great advise by just guessing. Read those regs closely and understand them. Also fyi being on the cmr read those regs also published by them seasons and rules vary from the state's in some units last time I checked.

I'd say this is great advise by just guessing. Read those regs closely and understand them. Also fyi being on the cmr read those regs also published by them seasons and rules vary from the state's in some units last time I checked.

Season dates are now same as the states for mule deer on the cmr. Just FYI . It changed last year, used to be that it closed two weeks earlier than state but not anymore

Shoot, if I were you I'd be putting in for that Bridger buck tag. Join their little mule deer foundation chapter and bingo your into some serious high country action. Eastern Montana whether it be north or south anything east of highway 87 and 19 been played out for years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back