Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Minnesota's fatassed ATVers gain access to wetlands

Oak

Expert
ATV bill puts judgement calls in few hands

Some legislators call the recently-approved bill governing the use of ATVs and other off-highway vehicles in the state’s wetlands, particularly peatlands, as a reasonable compromise. Hopefully, it won’t be the environment that ends up compromised.
The new bill lifts a blanket prohibition on the use of off-road vehicles in many of the state’s wetlands. Instead, riders will now be able to travel in wetlands, as long as they don’t damage or destroy them.

For all practical purposes that now leaves it up to off-roaders and the relative handful of DNR conservation officers to decide whether their activities constitute “damage.” It is an approach that strikes many as unenforceable.

It has been disappointing to see the state’s Legislature backpedaling on environmental protection in recent years, and this session, and this bill in particular, only add to the evidence that Minnesota is no longer an environmental leader. More often than not, special interests now overrule the studied opinions of resource professionals in the state, and the environment pays the price.

This particular bill, which puts Minnesota in the minority of states that allow off-road travel in wetlands, went well beyond the language supported by the Department of Natural Resources and threatens to cause long-lasting damage to some of the state’s most sensitive areas.

Supporters of the legislation, which passed both the House and Senate in the closing days of the session, claim that it fixes a glitch in last year’s law, which made it illegal for farmers or hunters to access cattle or hunting shacks with their ATVs, if it meant crossing wetlands. Given that many northern Minnesota counties contain large areas of peatlands, it was a legitimate issue. But the solution was to limit wetland crossing to those who had an actual need. The Legislature has taken this approach in the past. But this year, with concern for the environment at a low ebb in St. Paul, they opened up most wetlands to all off-roaders.

This wasn’t just an effort to fix an obvious problem in the law. Northern Minnesota legislators who backed the bill cited the potential for added tourism, presumably as off-road enthusiasts flock to the region’s swamps and bogs to go “mudding.”

Some claim the new law actually expands protection of wetlands, by including types of wetlands that hadn’t previously had protection. That may be true, but the problem lies in the public perception that wetlands are now open for off-road riding.

While the law prohibits riding that damages wetlands, there are plenty of off-roaders who don’t see their activities as destructive. That view is supported by the comments of bill supporters, such as Rep. Tom Hackbarth, who stated to reporters: “Ruts in wetlands quickly disappear.” So, apparently rutting up wetlands is okay in Mr. Harkbarth’s mind.

Many other Minnesotans wouldn’t agree. The trouble is, there are no good definitions or terms for everyone to agree on in this bill. What may constitute damage to one person may be inconsequential to another. We fear it’s an unenforceable standard.

**LINK**

Oak
I would just like to comment on what you have said. 1. I am a ATV rider myself, I enjoy going out on trail rides, and I take affence to your comment on Minnesota's fatassed ATVers whats with the name calling. For one I am not fat, It is apparent you do not like people and there atv's which is your coice I am sure you have your reason's. Everyone that rides are not morroons I for one would be pissed and would turn in people if I seen them destroying the land that the state has given us the opprotunity access. I fallow the laws and rules and regulations that the states set forth, and make sure everyone that rides with me does the same because if they don't I am about 2 inches from there face letting them know about it
fight.gif
. You will have your bad apples but you wikk have that everywere As I am sure you have aready delt with, according to the name you gave this post. All I am saying is just don't Categorize us ATVer's in the same boat as others that don't give a shit about the rules. Because your I can garentee I will do my part to keep it clean from being damage. Thanks Lt. Donald M Roe

The fatassed reference was to those in Minnesota that would support a law like this, not all ATV users in Minnesota. There's absolutely no excuse good enough to let the fatassed ATV group full access to wetlands. You sound like like a reasonable guy...I'm sure you fought this law every step of the way.

Oak

Ambiguous and vague laws do cause an awful lot of problems. I remember not too awful long ago when the Corps of Engineers couldn't agree on the very definiation of "wetland." When I was reading the phrase "without causing damage" I found myself wondering; How can you possibly not damage the land, environment, etc when bringing a motorized vehicle into it?? I guess it really depends on the rider, the rider's intent, and the rider's concept of what constitutes fun.

I agree if there are designated trials or markers for the riders to stay within that will not damage the wetlands I don't have a problem will it. My problem starts with the guys that don't fallow the rules set forth and screw it up for everyone. Because if this state has problems other states will follow

Paws my Idea of fun and trail riding is just that spending the day TRIAL riding. Not speeding at 60 mph through the Forest or in this case the wetlands tearing the hell out of the land if people ride responsable and give a shit fun can be had by all. But U wil have people that take for granted the resorce that has been lended to them for enjoyment

Yoteler,

While I agree with you, I tend to look at past history and the reality of whats going on.

The ATV crowd in every state has a pretty poor track record...and it hasnt gotten any better. If anything its getting worse.

I fail to see how "a few bad apples" are causing the major problems that everyone knows exists.

I think a more appropriate way to define ATV use, in the West in particular, is "theres a few good apples" who use ATV's.

Buzz I can't argue with you on that point because your right, but I also can't contest on how everyone else rides either all I am going on is my Experiences and the way I ride as well as the folks that ride with me

I wonder how much of the problemcan be tracked to kids under say 16 or 18?

I wonder how many of those kids under say 16 or 18 can be tracked to a parent.

Oak

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back