Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Minimum ages, mentor tags, and other rambling thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
No it won't. And I don't understand why a kid needs to kill to justify being out hunting at younger and younger ages. If that is the end result a new hunter needs, maybe the hunt isn't important. Or maybe it's the parent that needs the success of the kid. mtmuley

Speaking solely for myself, my kids didnt' NEED to kill. They had the opportunity to and wanted to take it. I don't NEED success of my kid in anything. All I hope for is that they all grow up to be moral and ethical people who try to make the world a better place. If they love Jesus while doing so, then so much the better.

Please don't speculate. I would pretty confidently say that I understand what is really important about the hunt as much as anybody on this board.

I can't speak to others, if they have different motives that aren't in the best interests of their children's development into responsible young adults, then shame on them.

In general - I think that if a guy is worried about his ego than his ego isn't a problem. :)

I was thinking back yesterday to my own "hunting development" and that of one of my good friends growing up. I was probably like many on this board - constantly outside learning and my Dad was very encouraging/involved in the process. I remember being very ready / excited to "be the shooter" at 12 (I was technically 11, because of the birthday thing).

But my friend's folks had gotten divorced when he was 7 or so - and the Dad had moved from town. He didn't have the same mentorship I did. I do remember that 1 of the local guys took him out hunting and helped him get his first deer. I don't remember all of the details (this would have been in 1987) - but I recall my friend asking me to come over and help skin the deer. When I got there (I had brought a couple of knives because I knew my friend didn't have a hunting knife) - my friend grabbed a chunk of hair and started to "skin" it by shaving the hair off the hide. He hadn't ever seen anyone skin a deer before and didn't know how it was done. So I ended up teaching him how it was done.

Looking back - it was a reflection on our mentorship for sure. In my mind, my friend wasn't ready to hunt yet since he didn't know all of the basics. But legally - he was of age.

I'm sure that there are examples like this in the world constantly. And I'm sure that there are many examples like me (or JLS's daughter) where the kid has things down at an earlier age. It's a tough thing to legislate because there will always be exceptions to the rule.

All that being said, I think the 12 y/o limit in MT is a fair age on average.

Last edited:
buzz still has not answered the question.... "do you have children?" unless I missed the response..if I did, forgive, my eyes are fuzzy this morning...been calving... but it raises the question, should someone who does not have kids have an opinion on the subject?

cur dog....great response...and those lighted knocks...should be mandatory for any arrow that flies over 300 fps, that way the hunter has a clue as to where the arrow hit the animal.....but that is common sense and a argument for another day...

JLS, funny analogy with your daughter shooting those deer w/ a bi-pod and alfalfa field.... I am shocked that a couple of these elitist dinks did not attack and claim "it is not hunting, unless you do it MY way(climb a mountain, sleep on a rock, eat insects for a week)".....

kids love to go along and be part of the hunt....but they would rather be participating in the hunt than stand on the sidelines.

Last edited:
What kid's would rather be doing shouldn't matter to anyone who thinks that someone who does not have kids shouldn't have an opinion on the subject.

Unless of course those kids have kids, which is entirely possible these days. :eek:

I have no say in what Montana does or doesn't do....but I'm glad Tennessee provides the opportunity for children who truly have the desire to hunt at an early age.

In Tennessee a child may hunt during regular season with an adult, starting at age 6. But are not allowed to hunt during juvenile only hunts until they are 10-16 and must have taken and passed hunters safety course.

The older members on this board who know me, knows that my daughter, Alexis, starting going with me when she was 4 years old. On her 5th birthday, I bought her a Henry .22 youth rifle. Before her 6th birthday, I built her a deer rifle in .308. She killed her 1st deer at 60 yards, from a blind, shoot off a bipod, dropped it in its tracks, 2 months after turning 6 years old. Two months later she killed her 1st wild hog.
Now she is 15 years old, still hunts, still gets excited and has killed 30+ animals.

A year and a half ago, I had back surgery right as deer season was beginning. Alexis took her muzzleloader on opening day and killed 2 deer for the freezer. A good friend of mine came and took her on her juvenile hunt for me, she killed a deer for the freezer. That is when I realized even though I was unsure when she was only 6 years old if she really understood and really wanted to hunt and really had a passion for hunting...that she did.
She was provided meat, own her own, for our family while I was laying flat of my back.

I realize ALL children are different and have different ages of understanding and maturity....yet the same holds true for all adults too.

In this picture, Alexis is smiling with her 1st deer at age 6 and still smiling at age 15 with her last deer of the 2014 season.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=5237

buzz still has not answered the question.... "do you have children?"

Kids or not, he likely was a kid that grew up hunting. He is entitled to his opinion. I can't even believe this crappy question was asked.

Kids or not, he likely was a kid that grew up hunting. He is entitled to his opinion. I can't even believe this crappy question was asked.

You don't like my question? Reread Buzz's post. He makes assumptions that show he has not raised or coached many kids. Any parent who has raised multiple children will tell you that everyone is different. Some kids are ready to hunt at 8 and others at 16. My sons begged to be allowed to hunt birds at 10. My 11-year old jumped up and down when he realized he could hunt big game this year. Absolutely zero pressure from me. It was their choice but we set guidelines to allow the hunting to happen.

25 states allow the parents to decide when the kids are ready. I think the parents should make the decision as long as the child can pass hunter safety. If the concern is safety, the most dangerous hunters I meet are the once a year crowd. Should we ban anyone who only hunts once a year?

I love how this comes up every year...something about a Michael Jackson and Popcorn meme seems to come to my mind instantly.

I still sit on the side of the fence that it should be 12 and over, not because that is the way I did it...I think a person has to look at the majority...not the exception. Sure there are kids that might be ready before 12, but there are also plenty that aren't.

Smoking...drinking...you should feel lucky the minimum age to hunt hasn't been raised instead of lowered.

You don't like my question?

No, I really don't. Should my son's kindergarten teacher not be allowed to teach or have opinions on how kids are taught since she does not have kids?

Being a father of four, I understand your thoughts. I also understand what Buzz and others are saying.

buzz still has not answered the question.... "do you have children?" unless I missed the response..if I did, forgive, my eyes are fuzzy this morning...been calving... but it raises the question, should someone who does not have kids have an opinion on the subject?

Not your finest moment!:mad:

buzz still has not answered the question.... "do you have children?" unless I missed the response..if I did, forgive, my eyes are fuzzy this morning...been calving... but it raises the question, should someone who does not have kids have an opinion on the subject?.

Hey Eric, here's a question...why should a guy that doesn't have kids spend his own money and vacation days fighting WYOGA when they try to ram-rod legislation that favors their clients to the tune of taking an additional 20% of every NR elk, deer, and antelope tag out of the youth priced NR tag quota?

Think about that one for 2 seconds...

Hey Eric, here's a question...why should a guy that doesn't have kids spend his own money and vacation days fighting WYOGA when they try to ram-rod legislation that favors their clients to the tune of taking an additional 20% of every NR elk, deer, and antelope tag out of the youth priced NR tag quota?

Think about that one for 2 seconds...

You aren't suggesting that you are not just in it for yourself, are you? ;)

Buzz I'm a public land hunter does that qualify me? Oak, are you insinuating some folks are self serving?

Oak, are you insinuating some folks are self serving?

We all are about one thing or another.

For the record, I don't feel as passionately about this issue as most who are posting on the thread, but if CO was attempting to lower or remove the age requirement for big game hunting here, I would oppose it.

And yes, I have two kids, neither of which are old enough to hunt yet.

Fowl addict...good point w/ the teacher analogy...conceded

However, I have not heard an arguement strong enough to change my opinion. The arguements to allow "apprentice" hunting has strengthened my belief.

Lets not discus kids for just a moment. Wouldn't it make it legal for clients using outfitters that haven't take hunters safety to go and hunt Montana without dealing with that nonsense?

Old Tom, wants to take his son of 24 years of age, deer hunting using Eric, because of a cancellation from one of Erics booked clients. The guy buys tags, pays Eric, and alls good. No messing with Hunters Ed. Eric gets a client that he might not of got otherwise.

Buzz fair enough,, you just wondered if I should have an opinion on a public land hunters forum. You didn't say I couldn't have one...

Oak, why would u oppose lowering the age?

Back