Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Minimum ages, mentor tags, and other rambling thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I am not sure about other states, but here the highest age demographic for hunting accidents is 20-29. Next is 10-19, closely followed by 30-39. Anyone born after January 1, 1972 is required to take a Hunter Ed class prior to hunting unless they receive a Hunter Ed deferral (good for one year only).

Is that adjusted as a percent of the demographic or just total numbers? Thanks.

He's earned NRA Expert riflemen on his rifle team and easily passed his safety course at age 9.

Brymoore, do you feel Hunters Safety was important for your son and a valuable resource before he started big game hunting?

Is that adjusted as a percent of the demographic or just total numbers? Thanks.

total numbers.

Edit: LOL, Maybe 40 should be the minum age for hunting?

Attachments

• incidents_shooter_age.jpg
    incidents_shooter_age.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure about other states, but here the highest age demographic for hunting accidents is 20-29. Next is 10-19, closely followed by 30-39. Anyone born after January 1, 1972 is required to take a Hunter Ed class prior to hunting unless they receive a Hunter Ed deferral (good for one year only).

I don't think "Hunters Safety" classes just teach safe handling of weaponry. It's certainly not my only concern.

Is there any proof that starting kids 2 years earlier, (without hunters ed), that there will be more recruitment in hunter numbers? Is there any data that shows more hunters will hunt if they are started earlier in life? Montana certainly isn't the best state to promote that mentality. Where 24% of our population hunts later in life, highest of all states in comparison. Idaho only has around 15% of the population hunting. We have more with less population. Why is that?

The reasons we (Montana) have larger percentage of population hunting is "OPPORTUNITY" we have the longest seasons in the lower 48 for a variety of game. No where can you hunt so many animals so long. If these people really want to keep hunters out there they need to provide more access, more game, (fight for the resource). If hunters (young or old) don't have much in opportunity to fill a tag, and a place to go, they will stay home.

Last edited:
I think the kids need to pass HS to hunt. My sons both did.

As this bill is written, NO hunters safety class is required until the youth turns 12 during season. That means 2 hunting seasons with no hunters safety.

As this bill is written, NO hunters safety class is required until the youth turns 12 during season. That means 2 hunting seasons with no hunters safety.

I have no opinion on the MT bill. I'll let the Montanans argue about it.

However, I bet MT F&G wouldn't kick out potential hunters younger than 12 from taking the classes.

I don't think "Hunters Safety" classes just teach safe handling of weaponry. It's certainly not my only concern.

Is there any proof that starting kids 2 years earlier, (without hunters ed), that there will be more recruitment in hunter numbers? Is there any data that shows more hunters will hunt if they are started earlier in life? Montana certainly isn't the best state to promote that mentality. Where 24% of our population hunts later in life, highest of all states in comparison. Idaho only has around 15% of the population hunting. We have more with less population. Why is that?

The reasons we (Montana) have larger percentage of population hunting is "OPPORTUNITY" we have the longest seasons in the lower 48 for a variety of game. No where can you hunt so many animals so long. If these people really want to keep hunters out there they need to provide more access, more game, (fight for the resource). If hunters (young or old) don't have much in opportunity to fill a tag, and a place to go, they will stay home.

^^^^this^^^^

Rather than worrying about 10 year old kids yerking a trigger before they pass hunters safety, provide them some great opportunities when they turn 12 and pass.

Robert, Montana is also experiencing negative trends in retention and recruitment. I agree with you and Tony very much on the issue of access. However, neither this board or this thread are simply about Montana.

...and it wont be fixed by allowing 10 year olds to hunt.

Maybe, maybe not. I think we can respectfully agree to disagree here.

Edit: The report I posted earlier from the NWTF reported that hunter recruitment was higher in states that allowed for a lower or no minimum age, and offered a hunter ed deferral option. Even though retention is likely a larger issue than recruitment, that doesn't mean that you should ignore it.

Robert, Montana is also experiencing negative trends in retention and recruitment. I agree with you and Tony very much on the issue of access. However, neither this board or this thread are simply about Montana.

What? Not about Nirvana? Not possible. :)

How about nobody gets to pick up a firearm until they've been sent alone into the wild for a month and killed a big game animal with a long bow, a spear or a knife? :p :D

...and it wont be fixed by allowing 10 year olds to hunt.
No it won't. And I don't understand why a kid needs to kill to justify being out hunting at younger and younger ages. If that is the end result a new hunter needs, maybe the hunt isn't important. Or maybe it's the parent that needs the success of the kid. mtmuley

Youth Hunters

I feel this is one of those mixed bag issues. I know one major concern of both Sportsmen and State Game agencies, is that with the prevalence of single parent families, there are far less father figures in households these days to instill the interest to hunt in young kids.
I was a Hunter Safety Instructor for 11 years. I taught about 4 classes/year. Having done so, I believe I frequently had concerns about 11 and 12 year olds in these classes. Many were there because their father's enrolled them. Not so much because the kid wanted to be there. I recall many times putting a 11 or 12 year old through his gun handling exercises, and you'd constantly see the wheels turning as the child was trying to remember what to do, how to do something, or the safety aspects of gun handling. Frequently, there was a world of difference in being just a couple years older. These kids pretty much grasped the concepts of the training and instruction. In short, they were eager to get out and kill something. Sometimes the younger kids were more interested in pleasing their Dad. That should make an instructor nervous.
Yes, this is a case by case basis, as kids mature at different speeds and ages. I am not a proponent of lowering the age to hunt though. These kids have their entire lives to hunt. There's nothing wrong with tagging along with their mentors for an extra year or two. By then, the guns will fit them better, and they'll be ready when the moment arrives to take their first game animal.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back