Caribou Gear

Minimum ages, mentor tags, and other rambling thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
and that's what most of the 35 states are allowing

I hate these kind of arguments. The west shouldn't be the same as the east and vice versa. There is a difference between sitting in a stand on a pasture hunting WT and turkeys than climbing around mountains hunting elk/deer/moose, etc. Sure some kids can do it...

From the bill -
18 WHEREAS, the safety rate of those first-time, apprentice hunters is nearly five times greater than the
19 safety rate of the general hunting population; and

and
(7) A person who obtains an apprentice hunting certificate is not eligible:
26 (a) to obtain a Class A-2 special bow and arrow license without having completed a bowhunter education
27 course;
28 (b) to obtain a Class D-3 resident hound training license;
29 (c) to participate in a drawing with a limited quota; or
30 (D) TO OBTAIN A MOUNTAIN SHEEP LICENSE IN ANY AREA WHERE THE LICENSES ARE ISSUED IN UNLIMITED
- 2 - Authorized Print Version - SB 395
64th Legislature SB0395.02
1 NUMBERS; OR
2 (d)(E) to obtain an elk license if the apprentice hunter is under 15 years of age[/QUOTE

If I understand the bill. The only licenses a ten year old is going to be allowed to buy are those which are unlimited. No elk license for an apprentice under the age of 15.

Basically, a ten year old can buy a Deer A, a bear tag, a single region anterless tag, turkey tag, and upland birds. No elk, and no special draw tags such as moose, sheep, goat, special elk or special deer tags. Nor will limited doe or cow permits be allowed.

Seems to me there is a pretty thorough effort to eliminate some of the potential for abuse that opponents of the bill have previously mentioned.

...just give it time.

Pretty quick new borns will be allowed to apply for a sheep tag.

Never enough.

...just give it time.

Pretty quick new borns will be allowed to apply for a sheep tag.

Never enough.

Dear old dad will be applying them for everything...then find out the young lad or lady isn't quite as interested anymore when they have to really put in an effort to hunt...or ruin the kid because they are having to work so hard and be so attentive...yet still taking away the opportunities from other hunters that will actually give the tag justice.

I really do feel sorry for the chaps that ruin the kids because they push them too hard at such a young age instead of allowing them just have fun tagging along on their own terms.

Kudos to those that make the right decision though based on the child's ability and matureness though and do it when the time is right...no matter what the regs or law say. If you have to wait till they are 14 or 16...so be it. Those are the folks I respect...the ones that aren't in the hype, and are more on the level.

Dear old dad will be applying them for everything...then find out the young lad or lady isn't quite as interested anymore when they have to really put in an effort to hunt...or ruin the kid because they are having to work so hard and be so attentive...yet still taking away the opportunities from other hunters that will actually give the tag justice.

I really do feel sorry for the chaps that ruin the kids because they push them too hard at such a young age instead of allowing them just have fun tagging along on their own terms.

Kudos to those that make the right decision though based on the child's ability and matureness though and do it when the time is right...no matter what the regs or law say. If you have to wait till they are 14 or 16...so be it. Those are the folks I respect...the ones that aren't in the hype, and are more on the level.

Idifishnhunt- Idaho currently allows for apprenticed licenses in a very similar manner than proposed here. I don't know whether they can apply for special tags in Idaho or not. Are you seeing detrimental effects of this law in Idaho?

Idifishnhunt- Idaho currently allows for apprenticed licenses in a very similar manner than proposed here. I don't know whether they can apply for special tags in Idaho or not. Are you seeing detrimental effects of this law in Idaho?

They can apply for CH tags at 10...or 9 if they are 10 by the season start. As they just started it's too early tell on harvest stats because they haven't even been released for last year...but I have seen a drop already in odds since that whole fiasco last year with IDFG screwing up the draws. Most recently in the spring CH hunts here having dropped in odds.

Personally I think since they did in fact pass the law for the age drop...they should have kept the draw age at 12 and kept kids on youth hunts or general season for those first few years. Call me greedy or whatever, but there are a lot of adults that have been putting in for a long time on draws, and this didn't help them...unfair to them really, especially when some of these hunts are really more geared towards those that might spend more time out there getting it done. Not the possibility of a kid that heads out in a November or December hunt one day and decides wow...this is frickin cold, hunting sucks...I'm done! These kids have a long time to put in for draws, unlike some adults that possibly have been trying for quite a long time...just saying, everyone should get a chance, but it kind of was unfair to dump them all in like this at once.

There are all kind of scenarios and opinions I guess. When it comes down to it, it all will end up resting in the parents to decide on their level of readiness...and those that make the right choice will have a lot better shot in making a future sportsman in the right way...and those that don't, well...I guess there always has to be that balance.

It is what it is here in Idaho now...only thing to be worried about is what will change in the next (two years) now..as the big game regs are on a 2-year cycle now. It's always something exciting...I do know that!

Last edited:
Personally I think since they did in fact pass the law for the age drop...they should have kept the draw age at 12 and kept kids on youth hunts or general season for those first few years.

I agree.

There are all kind of scenarios and opinions I guess. When it comes down to it, it all will end up resting in the parents to decide on their level of readiness...and those that make the right choice will have a lot better shot in making a future sportsman in the right way...and those that don't, well...I guess there always has to be that balance.
Agreed, regardless of a mandated minimum age or not.

Having taught middle school for 20 years there is a saying that their frontal lobe is not fully developed. I personally believe 12 is a good minimum.

It would be great if each youth and Mentor could be evaluated individually for competency, but that isn't possible. So the State has to take an average age when most youths are responsible enough to handle a firearm, and hunt. Is it fair to the younger ones who have responsible mentors, NO, on the other hand we all know some out there that should not be allowed to hunt, and I'm not just talking youths.

I am assuming the original conversation started with the fact that Montana is debating lower the minimum age for hunters (from 12 yrs of age to 10 yrs of age).

See this article:
http://www.kulr8.com/story/28678090/bill-would-allow-10-year-old-hunters

I for one am all for getting young kids involved with hunting and the outdoors. I am sure that we all have seen and know some over 12 years of age that should definitely not be handling a firearm. And there are other younger than 12 that have been trained and taught to properly handle a firearm. It does depend some on the maturity level of the individual, but with the proper training and education, I think it is a good thing.

Thoughts?

There are six pages of thoughts in this thread alone. Many more in previous threads. mtmuley

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back