MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Militia takes over wildlife refuge headquarters

This must be being reported totally differently on the East Coast. I am currently in a couple of 'discussions' on FB with friends back east who are on the side of the militia and see them as heroes and patriots for standing up against an oppressive government. They say that it's wrong that the Feds own any land and it's somehow unconstitutional and it's just a way to force ranchers to pay rent and force them out of existence. So, it shouldn't be a big deal that the fire accidentally got on the BLM land because it should be illegal for the government to own it in the first place. They also say it's wrong that they got the sentence changed to a longer one after one had already been handed down. So far, none of the discussions have resorted to name calling...lol
Seeing a very similar reaction from a few acquaintances who live in new York state. I honestly feel there if still a lot of people who cannot comprehend public land it seems inconceivable and the ones who get it are mad/jealous that they help pay for something so great but so far away that they can't seem to use it.

BHA's statement:

NEWS FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jan. 4, 2016

Sportsmen Call for Patience, Law and Order on Public Lands in Oregon
Malheur National Wildlife Refuge a treasure for sportsmen across America

MISSOULA, Mont. - The sportsmen's group Backcountry Hunters & Anglers urged cool, patient heads to prevail in the extremists' occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, valuable public lands fish and wildlife habitat located in Oregon.

"National wildlife refuges like Malheur are a treasure shared by all Americans," stated BHA President and CEO Land Tawney. "The actions being perpetrated by extremists in Oregon are the misguided actions of a fringe element - and should be condemned by sportsmen and all citizens in the strongest terms."

Oregon sportsmen were quick to decry the extremists' actions. "As sportsmen and conservationists, we urge the occupiers to end this fool's errand," said Brian Jennings, BHA's Oregon outreach coordinator, "and we urge the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service to keep their employees safe, be patient and thoroughly enforce the law."

The loosely organized group of extremists initiated an occupation of the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, near Burns, Oregon, over the weekend. They are led by out-of-state radicals including Ammon Bundy, son of anti-government extremist Cliven Bundy of Nevada.

"The Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is a popular hunting area for waterfowl and upland gamebirds," stated Tawney. "It is one unit in a system of millions of acres of public lands on which American families depend for access to and opportunity in the great outdoors."

Tawney concluded: "In 2015, thousands of hunters and anglers gathered at state capitols across the West with a single, unified message: Keep public lands in public hands. This will remain our rallying cry in 2016. BHA remains dedicated to protecting those lands from abuse and keeping them in the hands of their owners, the American people."

BHA was born around an Oregon campfire in 2004.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is the sportsmen's voice
for our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.

Here are some interesting insights into the background of the Malheur protesters. Kind of a strange connection to Mormonism.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/exp...lar-brand-of-mormonism/#.VoqeaYmK8iI.facebook

The LDS Church released the following statement in regards to the ongoing situation:

"While the disagreement occurring in Oregon about the use of federal lands is not a Church matter, Church leaders strongly condemn the armed seizure of the facility and are deeply troubled by the reports that those who have seized the facility suggest that they are doing so based on scriptural principles. This armed occupation can in no way be justified on a scriptural basis. We are privileged to live in a nation where conflicts with government or private groups can — and should — be settled using peaceful means, according to the laws of the land."

Also - the LDS "12th Article of Faith"... 'We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.'

I don't go to any church, but I live in Utah and am thus very familiar with the Mormon Church. I can assure you, this has absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism.

I don't go to any church, but I live in Utah and am thus very familiar with the Mormon Church. I can assure you, this has absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism.
Why isn't the right wing media referring to these guys as radicalized Mormons? I mean, let's get to the root of the problem before they take over the US and have us all wearing the sacred undies. ;)

Funniest thing I've seen in days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol3ys.jpg

Good reads on US history mentioned.
As a retired Park Ranger who is also a history reader I suggest a USFS book too,1st Hundred years.
I had a cabin near Billy Creek and the 1st Reserve Ranger station in the US. First built in 1890's.

Teddy and Gifford had had enough of poaching ,logging,homesteading,and grazing on the country outside of Yellowstone and started the US Forest Reserve Rangers too clean up the mess. Hence the name Ranger. One that ranges over the land to protect it.

The Sierra Forest Reserve was the 1st and largest and is now 5 National Forests & 3 National Parks. Those rangers had to fight poachers,sheep&cattle ranchers, loggers,squatters,etc.
Most were Rough Riders, Sheriffs/lawmen,cowboys,trappers and mountain men.
Had to be able to do unlimited tasks and hold up the law.
By themselves, in country no one had set foot on much before.

The Reserves became the National Forests and the BLM was formed to do the same thing on the rest of the open west that was and still is Dept. of Interior lands....the BLM.
PS,John Muir was an imigrant sheppard who was hired to run sheep thru the new free grazing in the Sierra Nevada Mtns and the rest of CA. There were millions of meadow maggots,illegally grazing & thousands of cattle. He saw the error of his ways after being caught a few times and became part of the solution with Pinchot and Roosevelt.
Then started the Sierra Club to help........which is a two sided sword story of its own and the other end of the pendulum these days
Seems we are revisiting history at times.

Last edited:
Wow there are some embarrassing posts on this thread. Not good in the site of God, your Mother, the kids or anyone for that matter. Perhaps it should be cleaned up.

Ground Control to Captain Moroni
Take your protein pills
and put your helmet on

Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you

[spoken]
Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One, Liftoff

This is Ground Control
to Captain Moroni
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule
if you dare

This is Captain Moroni to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating
in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past
one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much
she knows

Your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Captain Moroni?
Can you....

Here am I floating
round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do.

Wow there are some embarrassing posts on this thread. Not good in the site of God, your Mother, the kids or anyone for that matter. Perhaps it should be cleaned up.

What's embarrassing? My mother and kids could care less if we call a bunch of idiots out for being what they are.

As for God, I'm not sure he/she is on this forum, but if so is probably attending to other things than reading this, maybe in places like Oregon.

Back