Memorial Day "Thanks"

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I always look at Memorial Day as the most important of the summer holidays. I usually hang around home for the weekend watching the History Channel.

I am sure we all have some special veterans who we think of this weekend. Tomorrow morning I will go to the Honor Service at the cemetery and pay my respects to those who have served and give prayers of thanks for them and their families.

We all have some veterans in our families, and with the aging of the WWII generation, we seem to be losing some of those who gave so much.

In addition to my thanks to all of those serving today and their families who are making such great sacrifices, I will be thinking much about these people who are no longer with us.

Robert Stickler, Sr. - My grandpa, who served in Saipan and the South Pacific, US Army, from 1942-1945. He passed in October, 2009. He was one of the main reasons I am a hunter and fisherman.

John A. Cody - My step-father who served in Guadalcanal and the Salomon Islands 1942-1945. He never talked about it, other than to say he was with the 1st Marine Division. I often wondered if it was as bad as some of the old guys had told me. One day, some of his Marine buddies came to the house and after a few drinks, they started talking about it. It was worse than TV can portray. That was the one and only time I ever heard him talk about it. He passed in January, 1996.

Robert L. Olson - A high school classmate, West Point graduate, and friend with whom we did all kinds of fun stuff. He served with the 25th Infantry Division and was based in Hawaii, when in February 2001, he was killed in a helicopter crash as part of a training exercise. Major Olson is honored by a building in his name, in our little hometown of 200 people. One of the many military heroes of the little berg of Big Falls, MN.

I could make a very long list of people who served and have had a great impact on me. And though Memorial Day is about those no longer with us, many who I admire are still with us.

Larry, Elton, and Mike Stickler, my mom's brothers who all served between 1966-1971. Three guys who have done more for me than I could ever ask for. Larry has been in three OYOA episodes, and Elton will make is debut this Season with the NV archery mule deer hunt.

Marine Major, Harper Bohr, who I will visit with at the service tomorrow, and for whom I could spend hours talking to. He was in Khe Sanh for the entire siege of 1968.

US Navy Seabee Ensign Marty Kux, is a fellow Khe Sanh veteran, with Major Borh. They are two guys who I spend time with whenever such allows. What they went through, the service they performed, and the recounts of their experience, make me shake my head and wonder people could be sane after such an event.

Marine Bernie Kuntz, who you saw in the Season Two Nevada elk hunt, is one of the funnest guys you could ever be around. He is still a Marine to this day. Not sure he likes me bugging him about his days in Vietnam, but his details and comments about such keep me listening until he is tired of talking.

Neil, Ole, Uncle Marvin, Zeb, Patrick ...... the list could go on for longer than you want to read.

To all who have served, and to those who are currently serving, you have my deepest respect and appreciation. Tomorrow is a great day to celebrate all you have done and are doing. I will be thinking and praying for all of you.

Happy Memorial Day. Hope you have a great day and honor a veteran who was/is important in your life.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Fin. If it wasn't for those who paid the ultimate sacrifice then we wouldn't be where we are today. Thank the families as well. Remember it's not just the military member that signed on the dotted line serving, it's their families as well.

Thanks Randy.

Allow me to add a couple more.

Sgt. Uncle Art (Army) ~ Went from the coast of Scilly all the way up into Germany, and then fought in Korea. The 2nd most important man in my development as a young man,

Cpl Dad (USMC)~ shot in the back in Korea as a courier and the one who got me hooked on hunting, the Love of Life, and my "Why Not" attitude.

GySgt Crazy Eddie (USMC) ~ just a Pfc when he was in my platoon during Desert Storm. KIA six months ago in Iraq. We got REALLY hammered on the way back and had the flight attendants REALLY Pissed off with us !! ( Like we gave a sh!t!) " Wadda ya gonna do ...,...throw us outta the plane" !!!

Poop Deck Pappy (USN) My brother. Boarding party, inspecting forein ships in the Red Sea during Desert Storm. Became a Jr. High Baseball coach.

PopEye Doyle (USN) Youngest brother. Actually figured out how to call me in Saudi, from the "4 Floors of Whore's" somewhere, in some port. My Wife didn't even know, by that time, I was in Saudi !!

SSGT Greg (USAF) Intellengence. Again a brother that had the means to call me direct pretty much anytime he wanted. He knew where I was going before I did, but never told me, nor anyone else

Wendell Eugene Boys (ARMY) My Ex's dad. Medic in Vietnam. VA Nurse after he got back. Good man, loved to fish and went on more than a few deer hunting jaunts with me. Gone to a better place a couple of years now. I was the only one of the family he ever talked about Vietnam with,

And I'll not leave out Capt George (USMC) my CO, now hunting Buddy, Lawyer and trusted friend.

For all who served, are now, and those to who will.......God Bless...And THANK YOU.

I honored the fallen Native Americans at the battle of the Big Hole.Its a powerful place.Thanks to all in our brief history.

Thankyou to my daughter who is active duty Air Force Capt and my dear departed little brother Moe. MM3 USS Coral Sea

I haven't heard it in a while, but there's a song on the radio that always reminds me of a buddy from home. It came on the radio today. He died in Afganistan a few years ago before he ever got the chance to meet his daughter.

To all who have served, and to those who are currently serving, you have my deepest respect and appreciation. Tomorrow is a great day to celebrate all you have done and are doing. I will be thinking and praying for all of you.
I echo that 100%.

Thanks for the well thought out post Randy. If I may tag along and honor but a few:

Great Uncle Ellis who met his end in the trenches of France in WW1.

Cousin Charlie who lies in the American Cemetery in Cambridge, England

Uncle Lloyd who's in a small village outside Liege, Belgium; Battle of the Bulge.

1st Lt. Karl Richter, USAF: shot down over Vietnam on his 198th mission and didn't survive the egress. A real inspiration to me.

Col. George C. McCleary, USAF, squadron CO, shot down by a SA-2 in '65 just a few days before going home. They finally found his remains and returned them home just a few years ago.

Thanks for the sacrifice of all who wear the uniform, no matter how great or small.

Last edited:
Thank you vets!

If I may post a few of the vets that have affected my life for the better.

Grandpa Taylor: At age 19 he was eating breakfast in a cafe in Nampa, ID the morning of Pearl Harbor. The cook came out yelling the news, and 3 days later he and 2 buddies enlisted. He was Navy in the Mediteranean and had talent in spotting subs and identifying aircraft. He was a good friend and text book grandfather that always had time to take me fishing.

My Dad, Captain Mike Taylor. My larger than life role model. USAF Academy Grad. Forward Air Controller while piloting his OV-10 Bronco. He's many stories of successful missions, near misses, friends lost, and one story of him getting shot down and being MIA while evading enemy ground forces, and finally, being recovered. Here's a pic of his pilot days.
picture.php

Uncle: Bruce Taylor. US Navy USS Ranger in Vietnam.

Uncle: Capt Reinhart Schuster, US Army Ranger, Vietnam. He was extremely effective in jungle warfare. He's many, many stories that make me wonder how vets can come home and manage normal peace-time life.

Uncle: Corp. Norbert Schuster, USMC. He saw the worst of Vietnam. Stepped on a land mine and lived to tell about it, even has run the Boston marathon.

Last edited:
Flyin proud today for all the vets.

Thanks

Last edited:
My Grandpa Elwood "Buck" Cole, USN: Was in the engine room of a mine sweeper off of the coast of Okinawa when his ship was hit by a Kamikaze and he had to swin out of the hole that bomb made. He was burned over 50% of body and lived with that for the rest of his 74 years. He was a Man's Man.

My bothers Marine Sgt Steve Cole, Army Sgt Matt Cole and Army Staff Sgt. Zach Cole who all served or are currently serving. My brother Zach has been in Iraq for three tours and is headed to Afghanistan in Oct.

By Brother in Law SFC Cody Cummings, two tours in Iraq. He is a UH60 Blackhawk crew chief. He has had to leave his wife and four young daughters and answered the call.

My neice AF Tech Sgt. Megan Broadbrooks. She is an inspiration to many and has overcome many, many obstacles to get where she is.

God bless them and all who are serving and have served around the world.

Nemont

"Alone, we stand as the shining beacon of liberty and freedom to the world. The freedoms we enjoy today have not come without a price and are too often taken for granted. Because of the brave men and women -- who, from the very start of our nation's existence, have worn the uniform of all branches of the military so we can live in freedom without fear -- we have the freedom to worship as we choose; vote as we choose; travel from one end of this great country to the other; and the opportunity to succeed or fail in pursuing our own individual versions of the American dream. Every American, especially our children, needs to understand and embrace the sacrifices of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, guardsmen, and marines -- and most importantly, what their families have endured, all to help preserve the promise of the American dream. At a military cemetery, there is no differentiation of politics, rank, color, or gender -- just men and women who had the honor to wear the uniform of the United States of America. For it is at this final resting place that one of our Founding Fathers' principles, 'All Men Are Created Equal,' truly comes to life. ... To those of every generation who made that commitment, the commitment to duty, honor, and country, we say: Thank you!"
--author Tom Ruck

'Just came from the Memorial Day ceremony at Sunset Hills Viet Nam Memorial Wall and Veteran Cemetery in Bozeman, where the Gold Star families of fallen Montana soldiers, sailors, and airmen from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were honored. Say a prayer of thanks to those families of military service volunteers who paid the supreme sacrifice on behalf of all of us, our Constitution, and our freedom. Today is yet another day to show the fallen and their families the greatest respect.

Straight Arrow - In spite of the terrible weather, I thought it was a great service. A very large lump was in my throat as the families of those fallen warriors were asked to come up, one by one, and receive the appreciation for the sacrifice their loved ones had given. Very touching.

Thanks for your service.

Well said Randy. We all owe a huge debt to our soldiers, past and present. We need to remember them and thank them every day for our freedom.

God bless our vets....god bless those who serve, who have served and especially those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. This above all could be one of the most important threads on Hunt Talk and sadly there are very few replies. We would be nothing nor would we have nothing if it weren't for those who stepped up and signed on the dotted line putting their lives before all else. God bless this country and those that have given everything in her defense!!

Back