Meat taste

Mudranger1

So we broke into some sausage we had made out of my son's antelope. Man does it taste just like that thing smelled. Something I did wrong with field care? Just they way some of them are? Time of year? I know the only other one that was that way was a buck I shot a few years back. Anything I can do now?

Key to antelope is to get the hide off and the meat on ice asap. Gutless is even better.

I will take an antelope steak over anything else.

Did you make the sausage or have it made? If you made it yourself, did you trim all the fat off?

If you had it made, are you sure you got your meat back, or did it get tossed in with some other dudes who may have drove around for a day or two with their antelope in the back of their truck?

I've never noticed any antelope flavor in any of them I've processed. The only thing I've done different than any other game is skin them right where they fall.

My guess is whoever you had make it messed it up. I had that happen with the grind from a spike bull once and a small bear. Will never trust anyone to grind my meat for me again. Bummer if they ruined your meat!

I don't trust a commercial butcher. I make all of my own and have never had a problem with deer, elk, or antelope. In sausage, it all tastes the same.

Something is wrong.

Well I'm not going to say the butcher didn't mess it up but I've been using him for about 3 years now and never had a problem. And I didn't do anything different in the field That's why I brought this up. I know a lot of you enjoy processing but honesty I can say that I have ever found anything rewarding out of doing it myself but this is really the first problem I've ever had.

At this point I would have someone new try the meat, especially if you had different items made. Don't choose someone that doesn't have experience with game meat. See what they say. If they agreed it's nasty you will probably have to pitch it and try again. All you can do is skin and ice as fast as possible by having coolers of ice in the truck, and then insisting that the butcher makes your products from your meat only if you are going to trust someone else to do it for you. Bummer you may have to toss something that you worked hard to harvest and paid to have processed. Best wishes.

I skin/gutless quarter where they lay. Pack them out and toss in a cooler that has gas station ice in it. They stay in that cooler with ice till I cut them up a week later. I separate every muscle taking off any outer membrane and any fat. I cut steaks out of the backstraps and have a processor burger the rest.
I don't particularly enjoy it but I learned decades ago that game fat and bone will sour the meat. If I dry hang then I fillet the outer casing off just like filleting a fish. No fat, no membrane, and no dried outer skin on any piece of game meat.

Some processers mix batches of sausage from multiple sources and distribute back what weight you put in. Ground frequenty is one animal at a time. I've always done my own meat, and that's a reason why.

Well I'm not going to say the butcher didn't mess it up but I've been using him for about 3 years now and never had a problem. And I didn't do anything different in the field That's why I brought this up. I know a lot of you enjoy processing but honesty I can say that I have ever found anything rewarding out of doing it myself but this is really the first problem I've ever had.

The place that ruined my batch of grind meat from a spike bull is a well known place and still in business years later. When I went back in and asked the owner if she had any idea why my spike burger stunk up the house when I cooked it she immediately stated "It's really hard to get good help" and then offered to make it right. She is a stand up businesswoman but apparently had one bad employee which will happen. I would bet money that is why your sausage is strong.

Funny there is a "butcher issues" thread and this one at the same time yet no "I butchered my own and it taste like hell" thread.;)

Funny there is a "butcher issues" thread and this one at the same time yet no "I butchered my own and it taste like hell" thread.;)

And we all know if you do things yourself the satisfaction makes it all taste great

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back