Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

McCall Idaho Elk Hunt

gcn0003

Myself and three buddies will be traveling to McCall this October to hunt elk. We are NR and have already purchased our B tags and licenses. Scouting is not an option before the upcoming season. So we are looking for tips such as certain access roads to use / not use, good areas to look for elk during the post rut, and also which units within McCall are better than others. We plan on parking along a road and backpacking/camping for about a week. Anything you’d care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck there are definitely animals all around. All the elk will be up higher for the most part. Get up high away from any road access (atv,utv,etc.) you should have no problem filling a tag or two. There are a lot***** of utv's/ atv's around mccall

Good luck there are definitely animals all around. All the elk will be up higher for the most part. Get up high away from any road access (atv,utv,etc.) you should have no problem filling a tag or two. There are a lot***** of utv's/ atv's around mccall
Yeah our plan is to get away from others as much as possible to make it the best experience possible enjoying the state as well as the hunt itself!

Good luck. I did the same hunt this year and it was demoralizing. We saw many, many other hunters. There is an old burn covering a good bit of the unit that is old enough for the dead trees to have blown down. This blowdown makes getting away from the roads difficult unless you’re on a trail. Trails might as well be roads since they receive a lot of traffic. We had multiple spots picked to hunt and every.single.one was wrapped up. These were places that is was going to suck to get to. I’m sure that you could get away from people, especially if you have local knowledge but you should be prepared for everyone having done the same escouting and having the same mindset of going back deeper than everyone be else. Oh, and people hunt the crap out of the roads and easy to reach places.

The terrain is impassable to mortal men in many places, especially near the river. Super steep and rocky. Not all of it is impassible by any means, but if you see something on a topo map that you think is going to be tough, it’s probably a near vertical cliff that will take ropes and harnesses.

Part of the problem is that the unit is HUGE. You may not realize it, but it may take you half a day to drive from one point to another that don’t look too bad on the map. If I was going back, I would pick a part of the unit and concentrate on that. An example is the drive from McCall to Yellow Pine is HOURS of traveling. The drive in along the river is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen, but if there is fresh snow on the ground that is a 1 lane road carved into a mountain side for miles. Pray you don’t meet someone or it’ll get interesting fast.

We had a good time and McCall is a cool town. The people we met were great. The area is beautiful and we may take our families there on vacation some day, but I’m not a good enough hunter to make it there. P.S. We slayed the grouse.

We had a family cabin in McCall for 30+ years. We spent most of our childhood summers up there. I work and recreate up there 2-3 times a month, it’s a special place for us. Hell I got married in McCall.

But @Ben Sellers nailed it in every facet. That is a damn tough zone to rifle elk hunt without local knowledge or scouting. Due to multiple factors.

Good luck. I did the same hunt this year and it was demoralizing. We saw many, many other hunters. There is an old burn covering a good bit of the unit that is old enough for the dead trees to have blown down. This blowdown makes getting away from the roads difficult unless you’re on a trail. Trails might as well be roads since they receive a lot of traffic. We had multiple spots picked to hunt and every.single.one was wrapped up. These were places that is was going to suck to get to. I’m sure that you could get away from people, especially if you have local knowledge but you should be prepared for everyone having done the same escouting and having the same mindset of going back deeper than everyone be else. Oh, and people hunt the crap out of the roads and easy to reach places.

The terrain is impassable to mortal men in many places, especially near the river. Super steep and rocky. Not all of it is impassible by any means, but if you see something on a topo map that you think is going to be tough, it’s probably a near vertical cliff that will take ropes and harnesses.

Part of the problem is that the unit is HUGE. You may not realize it, but it may take you half a day to drive from one point to another that don’t look too bad on the map. If I was going back, I would pick a part of the unit and concentrate on that. An example is the drive from McCall to Yellow Pine is HOURS of traveling. The drive in along the river is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen, but if there is fresh snow on the ground that is a 1 lane road carved into a mountain side for miles. Pray you don’t meet someone or it’ll get interesting fast.

We had a good time and McCall is a cool town. The people we met were great. The area is beautiful and we may take our families there on vacation some day, but I’m not a good enough hunter to make it there. P.S. We slayed the grouse.
I have nothing to add to this thread, just wanted to say this a stand-up response that most new people looking for help on here would be lucky to get.

I will also say this since you asked about roads, there are two ways up onto War Eagle Mountain in 19a. If there is snow at all and you arent chained, or if you have a big truck anytime don't use the road by chimney rock. the other way is much safer. We didnt know that and drove up chimney rock road in my big f150 with 3 inches of snow on the ground. There is a tough strech by chimney rock that is steep with a narrow road that had ice under the snow. The truck slide sideways on the ice and almost went over the side because the road sloped toward the 500' dropoff. That was not the highlight of our trip. With an atv, this road would be no big deal.

I will also say this since you asked about roads, there are two ways up onto War Eagle Mountain in 19a. If there is snow at all and you arent chained, or if you have a big truck anytime don't use the road by chimney rock. the other way is much safer. We didnt know that and drove up chimney rock road in my big f150 with 3 inches of snow on the ground. There is a tough strech by chimney rock that is steep with a narrow road that had ice under the snow. The truck slide sideways on the ice and almost went over the side because the road sloped toward the 500' dropoff. That was not the highlight of our trip. With an atv, this road would be no big deal.
Good safety info to share so these guys understand these roads can be narly! Different zone in idaho but this fall ran into couple SAR guys that had been working a f350 that went the quick way down mountain, another spot we travel daily found fresh tire spin tracks over side but they saved it apparently. I hope the guy had seat covers cause i am sure they got stained...lol

All these replies have been greatly appreciated. I’ll definitely be taking note of those roads and weather conditions before going to war eagle mountain. Whether we see elk or not that’s all part of the game, but when it comes to safety that’ll be our first priority.

As for units we’re looking at 19A, 23, or 25. Still wanting to narrow that down to one particular unit so that we can thoroughly hunt an area.

I haven't hunted elk in these units but have buddies who do and harvest animals. From the map 25 looks the best then 23 and 19a. If i remember correctly the elk dont really come down into 23 until the snow hits then it gets really good. I have a buddy who hunts 25 for elk and says it is good. 19a im sure would be good but pretty rugged

From what I've gathered Idaho is a pretty predatory state; wolves, bears etc. Would picking up a tag for one of those be wise? Or what has your experience been like running into them?

In mcall i would have a bear and wolf tag in my pocket. Read regs most nonres deer/elk tags can be used on preds, so if your not in elk atleast take bear home. But i always have wolf tag, as long as idaho keeps them cheap.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back