Yeti GOBOX Collection

McCall Idaho Elk Hunt

From what I've gathered Idaho is a pretty predatory state; wolves, bears etc. Would picking up a tag for one of those be wise? Or what has your experience been like running into them?
I've hunted ID quite a bit as an NR. Always have a wolf tag in your pocket!

In the McCall zone we ran into a lot of wolf sign. Never saw any, but they definitely push the elk around. They can easily push all the animals out of one drainage and into a different one in a day. If you aren't seeing any fresh elk sign, make a move and find the fresh sign.

The river canyons in McCall zone are deep, steep and rugged. It's beautiful country but not always that easy to hunt. And can be tough to get away from roads/motorcycle trails. There's a lot of trails that allow motorcycles on them. You can think you are going to be several miles in from any roads and there will be dirt bikes on the trails. Get the MVUM maps from the Forest Service, they show what trails are motorized.

I have killed way more grouse in ID than elk! They make great camp snacks/appetizers.

IMG_5924.jpg

Here's an example of the burns that were mentioned above. Tons of deadfall and not always easy to navigate. Make sure and keep a chainsaw in your vehicle at all times. Often have to cut fallen trees out of the road, especially if there's any wind at all.

I am also headed to Idaho for my first elk hunt, and came across this thread. This is all very helpful. I have a question about gear - how important is the pack I use? I currently own a Kelty internal frame pack, but I have been wondering if an external frame would be worth the purchase.

The drive from McCall to Yellowpine is brutal to say the least. Had 4 guys from PA following me in driving a Dodge pulling a 26’ camper. Not a good idea! Beat that camper to pieces.
Couldn’t go back out that way due to road work. The drive back to McCall via Warren it beautiful, but long and nerve wracking. I won’t go back. No elk is worth all that stress.
The year is was there, it was in the 90’s in late September. Hunted the edge of a burn area with few sightings and zero luck.

I would buy a wolf tag and then use your deer/elk tag on a cat or bear if you see one, to save some $. I think NR’s can still do that, but I haven’t looked in a while.

For those that have been to McCall feel free to post pictures of your trip! I'd like to get a "boots on the ground" look of what I'll be getting in to.

I would say the number one thing you could bring in terms of success in that unit is your physical fitness.

Go on a backpacking trip before you come on your hunting trip and have your gear dialed and is thinned out as possible. This unit has exceptional access in terms of roads and especially motorcycle use.

Curious if anyone had new info on Elk in the McCall area. Group of 4 friends (2 locals in Boise, and 2 from out of state) have been DIY hunting it the past 3 years, and have left with many grouse and a few whitetail, but so far have left our Elk Tags unfilled! We’ve never been lucky enough to pull a controlled hunt, so have B tags and go first weekend of rifle (10/12-10/20 this year)

We’ve so far stuck exclusively to the west side of unit 23, and have spent the past 2 years between Squaw Point and Bear Pete Mt. Have tried to get away from motorized trails, but the terrain sure makes it tough! We’re all in good shape, and have clocked a good 30mi+ on each of our week-long trips, so not afraid to go deep.

We have been considering switching things up and either going to the east side of 23, maybe along rapid river. Or changing to unit 19A. Curious if anyone has any experience with either of these areas, and or landmarks to focus on?

Thanks so much!

Curious if anyone had new info on Elk in the McCall area. Group of 4 friends (2 locals in Boise, and 2 from out of state) have been DIY hunting it the past 3 years, and have left with many grouse and a few whitetail, but so far have left our Elk Tags unfilled! We’ve never been lucky enough to pull a controlled hunt, so have B tags and go first weekend of rifle (10/12-10/20 this year)

We’ve so far stuck exclusively to the west side of unit 23, and have spent the past 2 years between Squaw Point and Bear Pete Mt. Have tried to get away from motorized trails, but the terrain sure makes it tough! We’re all in good shape, and have clocked a good 30mi+ on each of our week-long trips, so not afraid to go deep.

We have been considering switching things up and either going to the east side of 23, maybe along rapid river. Or changing to unit 19A. Curious if anyone has any experience with either of these areas, and or landmarks to focus on?

Thanks so much!

Based on your description of east and west relative to various waterways and mountains, I think you are looking at your map upside down. Also, a 10/12 opening day does not really sound right.

But, welcome to HuntTalk!

Based on your description of east and west relative to various waterways and mountains, I think you are looking at your map upside down. Also, a 10/12 opening day does not really sound right.

But, welcome to HuntTalk!

Haha, crap sorry yeah. We have been east side, but have been considering west side this year.

Opening day is 10/15, so we’re giving ourselves a few days for friends to fly in, drive up, hike out and start glassing

Haha, crap sorry yeah. We have been east side, but have been considering west side this year.

Opening day is 10/15, so we’re giving ourselves a few days for friends to fly in, drive up, hike out and start glassing
Seems like if you're not successful, pick somewhere else and put in the work to try it....

Seems like if you're not successful, pick somewhere else and put in the work to try it....
Yeah, that’s kinda the plan. But was just curious if anyone had experience in either far west 23 or 19A. Looking for any possible advice on relative locations/landmarks to work towards, so we can start more detailed e-scouting and plan a trip up to actually check areas out!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back