Matt Rinella is categorically confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing I don't feel the need to be accepted by randoms on the internet.

You should probably lead by example and delete your HT account. You know, since social media mixed with hunting is against what your idol says.
Matt is not my idol, but that's actually not what he says. He has no issue with social media being used for conservation purposes, or as a private sharing between friends, but his issue is with it being used to show dead and dying animals and for self promotion using a public resource.

We can debate right or wrong all day, and my practices are not 100% in line with his theories, but to say he wants no social media in relation to hunting is not correct. Unless he has changed this mind in the last few months.....

Matt is not my idol, but that's actually not what he says. He has no issue with social media being used for conservation purposes, or as a private sharing between friends, but his issue is with it being used to show dead and dying animals and for self promotion using a public resource.

We can debate right or wrong all day, and my practices are not 100% in line with his theories, but to say he wants no social media in relation to hunting is not correct. Unless he has changed this mind in the last few months.....
He doesn't specify what social media. Almost everyone on this site has shared pics of dead animals. His stance on his website is as follows...

Social Media
-Disincentivize (unfollow) hunters that display dead and dying animals to
strangers on social media.

By being on this site, you're supporting fresh tracks and Randy's endeavors. Which I'm all for, but Matt isn't.

Hunting TV
-Boycott hunting TV and other forms of hunting entertainment. It leads to
the commodification of wildlife and hunting access.
-Avoid (to the extent possible) companies that use hunting TV and social media
influencers to sell products.

Like I've said several times now, I align with some of what Matt says, but he's far too extreme for me to "support" what he's preaching.

I'm only on social media for the hunting & fishing content. I watch and enjoy pretty much all of Randy and Steve's content. Yes, there's some shitty influencers out there. But that doesn't make Steve & Randy bad. Matt doesn't just dislike Cam. He dislikes hunting TV and hunting social media. If he feels different, he should update his website, based on what his site says, he dislikes it all.

I think we can heal hunttalk by all liking and subscribing to RJ on youtube. Who's with me?
You really think I have skin in the game? The only reason I care is because I consume and enjoy hunting media. Positive hunting media is good for hunting. Do you really think taking it all underground and hiding it from the public eye is going to help?

He doesn't specify what social media. Almost everyone on this site has shared pics of dead animals. His stance on his website is as follows...

Social Media
-Disincentivize (unfollow) hunters that display dead and dying animals to
strangers on social media.

By being on this site, you're supporting fresh tracks and Randy's endeavors. Which I'm all for, but Matt isn't.

Hunting TV
-Boycott hunting TV and other forms of hunting entertainment. It leads to
the commodification of wildlife and hunting access.
-Avoid (to the extent possible) companies that use hunting TV and social media
influencers to sell products.

Like I've said several times now, I align with some of what Matt says, but he's far too extreme for me to "support" what he's preaching.

I'm only on social media for the hunting & fishing content. I watch and enjoy pretty much all of Randy and Steve's content. Yes, there's some shitty influencers out there. But that doesn't make Steve & Randy bad. Matt doesn't just dislike Cam. He dislikes hunting TV and hunting social media. If he feels different, he should update his website, based on what his site says, he dislikes it all.

This has all been discussed at length on some of the podcasts he's been on. I can see where it's a little more vague on his website, but his views are quite clear. If you want to know just what his positions are, the Blood Origins podcasts with him go into quite a bit of detail.

Matt is never going to get his wish completely. @SnowyMountaineer said it best, in that the best takeaway is that people should think critically about how they use social media in relation to hunting. The technologies alway evolve quicker than the ethics surrounding them, which is why we find ourselves here in the first place. This issue is way bigger than just hunting.

I have no idea if I'm doing it right or not, but for me it looks like this.

-I watch hunting video content rarely, if ever, anymore.
-I personally avoid companies, if possible, that associate with the more distasteful influencers.
-I'll be happy to talk to people in private about my hunting experiences, and will talk generally about them online, but I'm probably not writing up hunt stories, especially with some of the hunts I do that are still relatively obscure.

It's a path we all have to find our own way on. I think Matt's theories are worth discussing, and I think he's an interesting guy. I do wish he wouldn't get into the mud wrestling with people, as it does dilute his message a bit, but it's certainly entertaining.

Yeah he’s been so awful; actually having a career in natural resources, being involved through volunteer stuff, providing real advice to people and going hunting with people he met through HT…
How does your response relate to what I said at all?

As a personal friend and hunting buddy of his - you clearly don’t know shit about his “leading” qualities. He does like to push buttons, and works well on brotards like you.
I knew I could count on a response from you when buzz got involved. You 2 are almost joined at the hip.

What's your take on hunting social media? You have plenty of posts alongside buzz, and your fair share of grip and grins.

What's your take on hunting social media? You have plenty of posts alongside buzz, and your fair share of grip and grins.
No real burning opinion one way or another, aside from the endless humor provided by some career or wannabe "influencers". I love me a good grip and grin. I don't like the public land impacts resulting from lots of details. Some of the private land jockeys aren't really hurting anything, but are none less amusing.

When you going to post of the pic of your Keep Hammering tramp stamp?

This has all been discussed at length on some of the podcasts he's been on. I can see where it's a little more vague on his website, but his views are quite clear. If you want to know just what his positions are, the Blood Origins podcasts with him go into quite a bit of detail.

Matt is never going to get his wish completely. @SnowyMountaineer said it best, in that the best takeaway is that people should think critically about how they use social media in relation to hunting. The technologies alway evolve quicker than the ethics surrounding them, which is why we find ourselves here in the first place. This issue is way bigger than just hunting.

I have no idea if I'm doing it right or not, but for me it looks like this.

-I watch hunting video content rarely, if ever, anymore.
-I personally avoid companies, if possible, that associate with the more distasteful influencers.
-I'll be happy to talk to people in private about my hunting experiences, and will talk generally about them online, but I'm probably not writing up hunt stories, especially with some of the hunts I do that are still relatively obscure.

It's a path we all have to find our own way on. I think Matt's theories are worth discussing, and I think he's an interesting guy. I do wish he wouldn't get into the mud wrestling with people, as it does dilute his message a bit, but it's certainly entertaining.
I like some of your points.

Yes avoiding companies who are pushing products through distasteful influencers is a great idea. The whole position I'm coming from is that Matt isn't going for just that. At least it's not what it looks like.

Listening to him on the meateater podcast was odd because he went after his brother who has built a great organization in the hunting industry that has done a lot for conservation and the public perception on hunting. Same with Randy and his team. There's lots of good influencers out there. More good than bad that I've seen.

Billy Molls is another name that comes to mind. I don't watch people like Cam, or Hushin or other "bro" hunters because that's not what I'm interested in. But if that's what a certain demographic likes, then so be it. On the other hand, they probably don't enjoy the same shows I enjoy. That's fine, different strokes for different folks. No one is making me watch those shows.

Once someone breaks the law or poaches, then it's different. Obviously those people are shitty people, whether they're influencers or not.

No real burning opinion one way or another, aside from the endless humor provided by some career or wannabe "influencers". I love me a good grip and grin. I don't like the public land impacts resulting from lots of details. Some of the private land jockeys aren't really hurting anything, but are none less amusing.

When you going to post of the pic of your Keep Hammering tramp stamp?
You just want to see my ass crack! I'm not that easy, I need a nice dinner first.

The most Cam Hanes content I've consumed has been in this thread by people posting memes and links :rolleyes:

I agree that the impacts on public lands can be serious. I guess I haven't seen or noticed a video where they blow up a spot unless it's a once in a lifetime tag, or a extremely hard to draw well known tag. I appreciate how a lot of shows don't even mention what part of a state they're in. A few never even say the state.

I guess I haven't seen or noticed a video where they blow up a spot unless it's a once in a lifetime tag, or a extremely hard to draw well known tag. I appreciate how a lot of shows don't even mention what part of a state they're in. A few never even say the state.
Having screwed up places myself, just by recklessly sharing a couple photos or details, I can say it does make a difference. Tough lessons. I like Matt Rinella's take, maybe a little extreme, but he seems all right, along with his brother. You gotta admit the video about Rogan's stupid comments was delivered with precision accuracy.

Having screwed up places myself, just by recklessly sharing a couple photos or details, I can say it does make a difference. Tough lessons. I like Matt Rinella's take, maybe a little extreme, but he seems all right, along with his brother. You gotta admit the video about Rogan's stupid comments was delivered with precision accuracy.
I don't think I've seen that video. But yeah people hunting private land and ranches and haven't hunted public land are a little out of touch with what's really happening.

That is not 1 sentence, and has literally nothing to do with Matt. How am I supposed to converse with you if you're talking about something unrelated?

This thread is about Matt rinella. Not cam. Why do you continue to try and make this about him? I couldn't give less of a shit about him or what he's doing.

I'm more curious how you find someone to be such a trustworthy person when 1 you don't know them, and 2, he complains about people doing things he's been doing for years.
I like the idea of hunting quietly and not hammering. Also I like not spreading falsehoods on the internet and long walks on the beach.

This was actually my yearbook photo quote look it up.

I like some of your points.

Yes avoiding companies who are pushing products through distasteful influencers is a great idea. The whole position I'm coming from is that Matt isn't going for just that. At least it's not what it looks like.

Listening to him on the meateater podcast was odd because he went after his brother who has built a great organization in the hunting industry that has done a lot for conservation and the public perception on hunting. Same with Randy and his team. There's lots of good influencers out there. More good than bad that I've seen.

Billy Molls is another name that comes to mind. I don't watch people like Cam, or Hushin or other "bro" hunters because that's not what I'm interested in. But if that's what a certain demographic likes, then so be it. On the other hand, they probably don't enjoy the same shows I enjoy. That's fine, different strokes for different folks. No one is making me watch those shows.

Once someone breaks the law or poaches, then it's different. Obviously those people are shitty people, whether they're influencers or not.
Some of my views probably have to do with the fact that I'm a bit of an anti social curmudgeon. I'm less convinced on Steve and Randy, though.

Early Meateater was pretty unique, and I was a fan. I have his cookbook on my shelf, and I owe some of my interest in wild game cooking to that show. However, Meateater started to be less compelling to me around the time of the Chernin acquisition, and by now the relentless product marketing has completely removed my interest. I don't watch their stuff anymore, but I'm told it's not the same.

I respect Randy in a lot of ways, and I think increased awareness of public land probably was a factor in avoiding public land transfer to states, but the negatives have been well documented as well.Theres no question that someone with his reach can roll into a unit and disrupt things for longtime hunters of that area for some time.

Perhaps at its heart it comes down to this. I just had a 9 day 3rd season hunt in CO (obviously the first 2 days were scouting). This hunt had it all. My buddy hit a bull too far back on opening day, and we spent an intense hour trying ( and finally succeeding) in getting another bullet in him. There was a rough packout, quite a few 2:30 am wakeups, gladsing bulls a long ways away, a cat and mouse session with a really good bull that didn't work out. I also grazed a good bulls leg at the edge ( and in retrospect, perhaps over) of my shooting range limit. And then on the last day I rolled my Toyota over at 4:00 am on the way up to hunt.

My point is this. Even the best produced and edited 1 hour video can't even begin to capture a hunt like that. Having experienced a few like that, watching hunting videos seems like a cheap substitute anymore. You simply cannot tell that story within those parameters.

If you don't think Matt Rinella is at least successful in making some hunters "think" about what they've been doing and the impact, you're mistaken.

I looked back on a special permit I drew here in MT years ago about the time I signed up on and as putting lots of hunting photos on FB. I started using FB for mostly family and friends maybe a dozen years back, but don't put nearly the amount of hunting stuff on there anymore. Over the years, I've added a lot of people on that, who I've never met and don't know. I don't do that as much. Back to the permit I drew. I was putting weekly photos of scouting, hunting, etc. I took a B&C animal. It was great. When I drew it was 1:20 odds without respect to points. The following year, 1:24. The next year, 1:35... Now, last year, 1:85. Granted, not all my doing, but I'm sure I didn't help that. Classic example of what he's trying to get people to think about. Now, imagine having a following of tens of thousands of people, or a million? Can have big consequences, depending on the circumstances. BIG CONSEQUENCES.

Some of my views probably have to do with the fact that I'm a bit of an anti social curmudgeon. I'm less convinced on Steve and Randy, though.

Early Meateater was pretty unique, and I was a fan. I have his cookbook on my shelf, and I owe some of my interest in wild game cooking to that show. However, Meateater started to be less compelling to me around the time of the Chernin acquisition, and by now the relentless product marketing has completely removed my interest. I don't watch their stuff anymore, but I'm told it's not the same.

I respect Randy in a lot of ways, and I think increased awareness of public land probably was a factor in avoiding public land transfer to states, but the negatives have been well documented as well.Theres no question that someone with his reach can roll into a unit and disrupt things for longtime hunters of that area for some time.

Perhaps at its heart it comes down to this. I just had a 9 day 3rd season hunt in CO (obviously the first 2 days were scouting). This hunt had it all. My buddy hit a bull too far back on opening day, and we spent an intense hour trying ( and finally succeeding) in getting another bullet in him. There was a rough packout, quite a few 2:30 am wakeups, gladsing bulls a long ways away, a cat and mouse session with a really good bull that didn't work out. I also grazed a good bulls leg at the edge ( and in retrospect, perhaps over) of my shooting range limit. And then on the last day I rolled my Toyota over at 4:00 am on the way up to hunt.

My point is this. Even the best produced and edited 1 hour video can't even begin to capture a hunt like that. Having experienced a few like that, watching hunting videos seems like a cheap substitute anymore. You simply cannot tell that story within those parameters.
I've critiqued randy here a couple of times, but what I wholeheartedly disagree with is making hunting access purely a (lack of) popularity contest.

It's public land, and within the bounds of the law, I can and will use it as much as I see fit as randy can as matt can as a snowmobiler, snowshoer or a skydiver. And I will forever encourage use.

Anyone who's in favor of limiting use of a public land because "2 stroke bad", "loud noises trigger my autism", "nature's for watching leaves" etc etc etc can get bent.

1703185564429.png
I wonder if Steve Felix could go back in time, if he'd skin the head, throw it up in the shop (maybe send a couple photos to friends and family) and have the place to himself for a few more years to see if he couldn't find a couple more of those WR class bulls.

Last edited:
View attachment 307185
I wonder if Steve Felix could go back in time, if he'd skin the head, throw it up in the shop (maybe send a couple photos to friends and family) and have the place to himself for a few more years to see if he couldn't find a couple more of those WR class bulls.
Hindsight is 20/20 for sure, but that's what we do hindsight thinking instead of forward thinking since the beginning of time. I'm guilty as charged!

Oh sure, sure you don't.

Laffin'... Bro.
God bless anyone that has to spend any longer than a few days at a time with you. You seem like a real treat to be around. 🤮

Pull up the definition of autism, read it if you're able. Then do some reflecting on yourself.

Haven't you used up your internet time for the day?

If you don't think Matt Rinella is at least successful in making some hunters "think" about what they've been doing and the impact, you're mistaken.

I looked back on a special permit I drew here in MT years ago about the time I signed up on and as putting lots of hunting photos on FB. I started using FB for mostly family and friends maybe a dozen years back, but don't put nearly the amount of hunting stuff on there anymore. Over the years, I've added a lot of people on that, who I've never met and don't know. I don't do that as much. Back to the permit I drew. I was putting weekly photos of scouting, hunting, etc. I took a B&C animal. It was great. When I drew it was 1:20 odds without respect to points. The following year, 1:24. The next year, 1:35... Now, last year, 1:85. Granted, not all my doing, but I'm sure I didn't help that. Classic example of what he's trying to get people to think about. Now, imagine having a following of tens of thousands of people, or a million? Can have big consequences, depending on the circumstances. BIG CONSEQUENCES.
This is the issue. The bro hunters think they're owed information, mine information, beg information, steal information, and mostly chase coattails. They don't have the smarts or connections to stay ahead of the curve, leeches is their best description. When they actually "find" a spot, they have zero respect for the resource or other hunters that have hunted those spots for decades. Tradition and courtesy is not given a second thought, they'll cut your throat for an animal to post on SM. Sad that they're robbing themselves of the best part. Also hard to believe, but it's the reality, totally entitled attitude. Not good for traditional hunting where camps respected each other and where they hunted. I've had guys follow me from town, hack my draw results, shitty grams when I wouldn't tell them where I hunt, etc. I've had bro hunters park their ATV's literally 5 feet from my wall tent to beat me into one of my elk spots, shoot at and kill animals I'm watching they knew damn well I saw first, and all flavors of crap sportsmanship.

They have contempt and jealousy for guys like you and some others that find success with monotonous regularity.

I think it's great Matt is the counter to the bro hunters...it's needed.

God bless anyone that has to spend any longer than a few days at a time with you. You seem like a real treat to be around. 🤮

Haven't you used up your internet time for the day?
No, I'm on annual, have another 80 hours of use or lose, and about to set camp for 10 days of rifle coues deer a stones throw from Mexico.

Hunting solo since I promised a late friend of mine that showed me this spot I wouldn't share it with anyone, hunt quietly as it were. Even though he passed away 5 years ago, way too young, a deal is a deal.

So don't ask for the unit, Bro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back