Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Massachusetts fishing/hunting

Steve1286

Hi All,

Im looking for a fishing/hunting buddy that can teach me a lot while having some fun at the same time. I'm from northeastern mass. Merrimack valley area. Ive been fiahing for a while, all self taught never had much of a mentor or buddy to teach me, looking to get into bow hunting as well, have never hunted and dont know anyone who hunts.

Welcome aboard. There are some guys on here from the northeast that may be able to print you in the right direction. However, the vast majority are focussed on the Mississippi River west. There's some good fishing in the neighboring states I'm aware of that are a short drive. Good luck.

Hunting requires a ton of self motivation to get started, no one wants to waste their time with someone who isn't invested in the sport.

If you want to get into hunting the first thing you need to do is take hunter's safety.

Second step is going to be getting gear, that's more complicated in MA. You need to either get your LTC so you can own a firearm or purchase a bow and learn to shoot. Both are a time investment.

Firearm process https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-firearms-license, once you get your license you can buy a shotgun, and then go to a local range to practice. This takes forever... I submitted my application in May and still haven't gotten an interview date 2+ months later, my guess is that I won't have my LTC in time for this coming hunting season, even though I took my Firearm training course May 11, and was Johnny on the spot with paperwork.

Archery, I would go to a bow shop, take a lesson try out some different bows, buy one and then start going to the range regularly.

Generally speaking a firearm requires a lot less time to become proficient, a couple range sessions and you could be ready to hunt within reasonable ranges.

Once you get your HS and figure out owning a weapon, it will be much easier to find someone to show you the ropes. It also shows your future mentor that you are motivated to learn.

Hunting requires a ton of self motivation to get started, no one wants to waste their time with someone who isn't invested in the sport.

If you want to get into hunting the first thing you need to do is take hunter's safety.

Second step is going to be getting gear, that's more complicated in MA. You need to either get your LTC so you can own a firearm or purchase a bow and learn to shoot. Both are a time investment.

Firearm process https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-firearms-license, once you get your license you can buy a shotgun, and then go to a local range to practice. This takes forever... I submitted my application in May and still haven't gotten an interview date 2+ months later, my guess is that I won't have my LTC in time for this coming hunting season, even though I took my Firearm training course May 11, and was Johnny on the spot with paperwork.

Archery, I would go to a bow shop, take a lesson try out some different bows, buy one and then start going to the range regularly.

Generally speaking a firearm requires a lot less time to become proficient, a couple range sessions and you could be ready to hunt within reasonable ranges.

Once you get your HS and figure out owning a weapon, it will be much easier to find someone to show you the ropes. It also shows your future mentor that you are motivated to learn.
Hi Wlmm,

Thanks for the info, I took my firearm training course in May as well and am waiting for LTC to get approved, I also doubt that I will get it in time for this hunting season. I was thinking of starting off bow hunting and am going to go to a bow shop this weekend to get the gear I will need. I 100% agree no one wants to waste time with someone who may not follow through. But I do love my fishing and go reguarly. All I can do is get my equipment and hope to meet someone willing to take a chance with me.

Caught a lil guy yesterday evening as well. :)

Attachments

• 20200723_192638.jpg
    20200723_192638.jpg
    866.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice work... my fishing skills are terrible, I've yet to pull anything out of the mystic despite my efforts.

If you are looking to hunt this year, I would just do the Idaho or California online HS course. They will work for MA. Typically I recommend the full in person course, but MA isn't allowing you to sign up for a course currently.

I'd offer to take out you out this fall but my schedule is already a bit of a CF and I don't want to be flaky. That said definitely feel free to PM me and stay in touch. (Also this will be my first season on the east coast so while I can point you in the direction of an Elk in CO I'm probably going to be very little help getting you on a whitetail)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back