mannlicher stock accuracy

VAspeedgoat

I think we might have already had this thread but I was unable to find it with a search. I guess its possible it was on an unrelated thread or possibly another forum. So if this is redundant just point me toward the original thread.

I have become really enamoured with the way these rifles look and was curious what some of you guys thought. I was concerned that with a wood stock that the gun may be prone to accuracy issues? Also if some of you have any experience with moderately priced guns like a ruger? Curious for any thoughts, feedback, or recommendations.

You want to hunt with one? Me, I'd be concerned about the stocks length in wet and cold weather affecting barrel harmonics. mtmuley

I know a guy who had a Ruger M77 international with that stock. His would not shoot worth a darn. Seems like he figured it out and it ended up being something to do with the end of the stock. He ended up selling it. Sorry for being vague, but thats all I remember.

Well, yes I was wanting to hunt with it, but that was my concern as well. I just didn't know if I was missing something or not. I thought I had read somewhere, possibly on here, that there were some things that could be done to alleviate problens. If my memory serves me well, it was the end of the stock that was the issue as stated. I just can't remember.

I don't know much about them. Interesting look. I'll have to admit that my stock preference has shifted to synthetics over the years. I bet that any rifle with that stock could be made to shoot. Do you have a rifle in mind? mtmuley

Based on what I am seeing on gunauction, I'm deffinitely only in the used market. There are two models that consistently fall into my price range. One is a winchester 70, the other is a ruger 77/hawkeye. I have seen a remington 7 but they seem to be a little more in demand. Found a winchester that had the same checkering as featherweight. Took all my self control not to buy. Trying to make an informed decision. I agree completely with the synthetics as a rule, just wanting something different. However, I don't need a headache that I need to baby along.

Well, some headaches are easy to handle if it's something you want. Get one, see how it shoots, then hunt it to it's abilities. Keep us informed. mtmuley

This is an interesting one, and I agree they are sweet looking rifles. That said, it is a long chunk of wood to try and keep stable. I would agree that you should be able to make the thing shoot, but I could see it having issues with changing humidity.

If it was a big issue, you might consider finding a smith that could do something like this with the stock.
http://kilimanjarorifles.com/features/lamination.html

You want to hunt with one? Me, I'd be concerned about the stocks length in wet and cold weather affecting barrel harmonics. mtmuley

The original intent of the mannlicher stock for sporting purposes was to protect the metal from dings, etc encountered during hunting. I've got 1, a pre-WWI Haenel 1888 Commission rifle. I'm still trying to find a load that it likes.

The Rugers have a good following, but I'm not sure people who love them care about sub-moa accuracy. I wouldn't buy a Ruger bolt action rifle again due to my experience with the Hawkeyes & M77's.

Most of these rifles, unless they're German guns like a Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Mauser, Steyr, Blaser etc won't print less than about 1.5 MOA, which is still plenty good for hunting. CZ makes a mannlicher stocked rifle that looks like it could be a winner and fairly inexpensive. I would guess that so long as pressure is maintained, barrel harmonics shouldn't change from shot to shot.

The Rugers have a good following, but I'm not sure people who love them care about sub-moa accuracy. I wouldn't buy a Ruger bolt action rifle again due to my experience with the Hawkeyes & M77's.

This surprises me.

I've always loved the looks of the Mannlicher M77s. I think it'd be a fun gun to carry around in a short barrel and short action.

This surprises me.

I've always loved the looks of the Mannlicher M77s. I think it'd be a fun gun to carry around in a short barrel and short action.

Me too. I've tried to love the rifle, but can't get them to shoot accurately. Best has been about 2 inch groups after trying a multitude of powder & bullets. Average has been 3 inches w/ the 300 WM and 5 inches w/ the 7mm Mauser.

Wood contracts and expands it's the nature of it. The more contact the metal from your rifle has to the wood it will naturally affect accuracy. Hence the reason free floating and action bedding are popular methods to enhance accuracy. If that wood is not completely dried and sealed properly you will have problems holding zero from year to year. I love the look and feel of a wood stock. I even think the mannlicher stocks have much eye appeal, but other than on a 22 rimfire I will likely never own one. For me accuracy is a top priority. If you love the looks of those stocks, buy one, shoot it, and enjoy it. However for tough hunts in rough weather it might be better to leave it at home, and take something less affected by the weather. I still have a few rifles with wood stocks and probably always will, but all my main "go-to" rifle have either synthetic or laminated stocks. I rarely have to re-zero my go-to rifles.

Wood contracts and expands it's the nature of it. The more contact the metal from your rifle has to the wood it will naturally affect accuracy. Hence the reason free floating and action bedding are popular methods to enhance accuracy. If that wood is not completely dried and sealed properly you will have problems holding zero from year to year. I love the look and feel of a wood stock. I even think the mannlicher stocks have much eye appeal, but other than on a 22 rimfire I will likely never own one. For me accuracy is a top priority. If you love the looks of those stocks, buy one, shoot it, and enjoy it. However for tough hunts in rough weather it might be better to leave it at home, and take something less affected by the weather. I still have a few rifles with wood stocks and probably always will, but all my main "go-to" rifle have either synthetic or laminated stocks. I rarely have to re-zero my go-to rifles.

You can free float a Mannlicher stock, just don't have a band/cap at the end. Only stocks with cross-pin fasteners are anchored to the wood No different than any other stock other than looks really. If you want to keep the cap, then it's not much different theoretically as Ruger's pressure point on the tip of their factory stocks.

Ben, yes I know free floating will do that, but that doesn't change the fact that you still have added a foot or more of barrel channel that can still warp and end up putting pressure on the barrel depending on how bad it warps. In other words you did not decrease the odds in your favor. There is also that little vibration issue and fair bet that someone will rest the end of that stock improperly on a hard surface to shoot. Granted the latter doesn't work well with any stock, but doing so right up near the end of the barrel will produce even worse results.

The Remington Model 7 Mannlicher (Custom Shop) is a laminated wood stock. This minimizes any wood movement from humidity, etc. The gun is available in many calibers in short action, up to the 350 Remington Magnum of 1960's fame.

Interestingly, Ultra Light Arms founder, Melvin Forbes, sells rifles with fully bedded barrels. Of course, in synthetic stocks. I have seen a Forbes rifle recently in a shop and its light, feels great and there is no space between the barrel & stock.

I too find the stock style attractive, but have not owned a Mannlicher.

Ben, yes I know free floating will do that, but that doesn't change the fact that you still have added a foot or more of barrel channel that can still warp and end up putting pressure on the barrel depending on how bad it warps. In other words you did not decrease the odds in your favor. There is also that little vibration issue and fair bet that someone will rest the end of that stock improperly on a hard surface to shoot. Granted the latter doesn't work well with any stock, but doing so right up near the end of the barrel will produce even worse results.

Good points.

I have a early 80s Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57. #1s are either a "shooter" or they aren't. With factory ammo, mine is about 1.5 MOA. It's actually kind of hard to get a read because the barrels in the RSI's are thinner and heat up a lot faster which I've noticed really effects the accuracy. I'm currently working on trying to find which load it likes. My stepfather has a few #1's with mannlicher stocks that seem to like 140gr Nosler Accubonds and IMR4064 (i think about 39.0 gr?).

It's a beautifully built rifle. I'll try to get a picture of it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back