Mal X Pin hybrid

jrabq

Got super lucky last week and shot this Mallard/Pintail hybrid. Nearly 50 years of duck hunting and this is the only one I've seen in person. Of all the possible hybrids this is the one I've been waiting for, and it is in near perfect condition, obviously going on the wall. Shot it out of a flock of ~8 mallards thinking it was a wayward pintail; too early to see much color, just going by profile. When the dog was retrieving the duck I saw a dark greenish head and was wondering WTH??

Was also a great day with greenhead limit before sunrise, did not miss a duck, and for gravy the last drake was banded. Great day!:):):)

Attachments

• P1010732red2.jpg
    P1010732red2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 988
  • P1010738red2.jpg
    P1010738red2.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 984
  • P1010739red2.jpg
    P1010739red2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 975
  • P1010741red2.jpg
    P1010741red2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 984
Very cool bird indeed, combine that with no missed shots and a band - you may want to go buy a lottery ticket on the way to the taxidermist. Congratulations.

Certainly a day to remember. Please share the end product on the wall. Adding the banded drake to the hybrid would be some good conversation as well. Very nice.

Frick'n awesome, excuse the language..... That is a dream bird for almost every waterfowl hunter I know, now the real tuff part is deciding on what position/how too get it mounted.....
Matt

Holy cow, that is beautiful. I have never seen a hybrid that is in such great condition and full plumage. Nice bird!

Oh man that is stinkin awsome. Congrats to you. Those are rare indeed and I would personally love the opportunity to shoot one and you got it done without missing and shot a banded bird. Whoever doles out hunting luck loved you that day. Please post pics when you get it back from taxidermist. That is one beautiful bird way to go.

.... Adding the banded drake to the hybrid would be some good conversation as well...

Yes it would have, neat idea, but didn't cross my mind. I think I ate the banded one last night:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back