Boys first duck/Pups first retrieve

okie archer

Over the summer I posted some about my pups training progress. Was trying to have him ready to hunt by this fall. I also wanted pups first hunting retrieve to be my 10 year old son Drake's first duck. All though Drake has shot the .410 a lot he recently has started shooting the 20 guage. With the loss of my old lab I have not waterfowl hunted much the last 3-4 years. With the new pup and a boy wanting to go duck hunting the embers have rekindled. I have been checking on a little farm pond close by lately that I have hunted in the past. After seeing a few mallards and geese on the pond Drake and I stopped by the land owners place to reconfirm permission.
My daughter who is 20 and Drake and I got up early this morning to hunt. Shortly after legal light a pair of mallards came in but Drake couldn't connect. Shortly after a single greenhead landed and Drake made the shot. The duck made it to the shore and Drake and I with Rex in tow quickly made it around the other side to locate the duck. After a short retrieve Drake had his first duck and Rex had his first retrieve. Not exactly the most heroic sight but it's a start of hopefully many more. The retrieving pic is of a teal my daughter shot shortly after.Screenshot_20221126-082528.pngScreenshot_20221126-082506.pngScreenshot_20221126-082441.png

Last edited:
Over the summer I posted some about my pups training progress. Was trying to have him ready to hunt by this fall. I also wanted pups first hunting retrieve to be my 10 year old son Drake's first duck. All though Drake has shot the .410 a lot he recently has started shooting the 20 guage. With the loss of my old lab I have not waterfowl hunted much the last 3-4 years. With the new pup and a boy wanting to go duck hunting the embers have rekindled. I have been checking on a little farm pond close by lately that I have hunted in the past. After seeing a few mallards and geese on the pond Drake and I stopped by the land owners place to reconfirm permission.
My daughter who is 20 and Drake and I got up early this morning to hunt. Shortly after legal light a pair of mallards came in but Drake couldn't connect. Shortly after a single greenhead landed and Drake made the shot. The duck made it to the shore and Drake and I with Rex in tow quickly made it around the other side to locate the duck. After a short retrieve Drake had his first duck and Rex had his first retrieve. Not exactly the most heroic sight but it's a start of hopefully many more. The retrieving pic is of a teal my daughter shot shortly after.View attachment 252238View attachment 252239View attachment 252237
Well done

Back