Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mal X Pin hybrid

Wow!!!
The cool factor in that limit almost leaves me speechless! I've been chasing a hybrid like him for years, I hope he didn't find his way south already!! Gorgeous duck, congratulations!!

Good looking bird. How rare are they?

I really don't know. I've shot 1000's of ducks and it's the first one for me. I personally know of one other shot by a friend, but also know lots of other guys who have never got one. I'd guess is you had a great hunting spot where you could be extremely picky on mallards you might have a better chance of getting one.

Now mallard hybrids with close relatives (Black ducks, Mottled ducks, Mexican ducks) are much more common, and according to some biologists represent a threat to the less abundant species (e.g. Black ducks). In NM most of the Mexican ducks I've shot show some signs of hybridization, finding a pure specimen is more rare.

Just got this picture from Birdman Studios, paid for expedited service, will ship today. Hope it looks as good in person, photo looks great.

Attachments

• pintail-mallard.jpg
    pintail-mallard.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 158
Very nice! I have come back to look at that mount three times now. That has got to be one of the best bird mounts I have ever seen. Those feathers are perfect. Did the "birdman studios" do the taxidermy work on this?

Well, I answered my own question and found his site. Top notch work, I really wish I would have known about him for some Prairie chickens I had done. His prices are very fair.

Last edited:
Wow, that was fast and sure looks good! I've seen some really good mounts from Birdman and yours looks great.

Yes, Birdman does awesome work, but he is not cheap or fast. Normal turnaround now is ~18 months I hear. I paid for "express" service which was an additional $150, got it done in about 2 months+.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back