Looks good enough for me - a new .308

HOWA Rifle

This rifle is one that my varmint hunting buddies swear by. They love 'em. I have come to learn that these are one of the preferred rifles in the varmint world.

I have only recently started shooting them, though the company has been in contact with me for over a year. Spent a lot of time as SHOT talking with them, learning about the rifle and the action and the barrels. Some times talk doesn't provide all the info you need, so you just have to start shooting one.

So, I figure if these guys are smoking coyotes with them at 500 yards, maybe Fin could hit an elk at 200 yards. Maybe. And from the results, it appears that if Fin misses, all excuses are now officially out the window.

I just always had a hang up that a rifle in this price range could not be accurate. Wrong! Not sure why I felt that way, just ignorance, I guess.

This rifle is a Howa. For those of you who are rifle/action/barrel junkies, you know that Howa has a great reputation for accuracy, and very good actions/barrels. It comes with a Hogue stock. My trigger is set at 2.75 pounds.

Link to Howa Rifles

I will be test driving a .308 and a .300Win Mag in preparation for the Alaska Black Bear hunt. So far, so good. Working on getting the weight down some, but as they come is not anything too much different from many of the other rifles in my vault.

Howa is now looking at the big game rifle market as something they want to go after. Given the market penetration they have had by listening to varmint shooters and building rifles based on that input, I am more than glad to provide my input as they work toward penetrating the big game rifle market.

It is interesting to sit down with the owners and have them ask so many questions about what conditions we face; what features are important, versus those non-important features that just add cost; what range of calibers we think are most useful for western big game hunting; the balance of weight versus durability; and all in the context of providing a great rifle while keeping the price point as low as possible.

If they want to be successful in this endeavor, they might want to seek advice from some guy other than me. Not sure why they want Fin's input, but I will continue to provide such. If it their results in a rifle that is dead nuts accurate, at a great price, seems like we are all better off for it.

These guys seem very serious about this endeavor. Given the results they have had in the varmint world, I would not bet against them being successful in going after the big game rifle market.

I will give more reports as time goes along.

Any of you guys shooting these? Thoughts? Comments? Likes/dislikes?

Howa's are great rifles, and economical too. Weatherby uses the Howa action for their Vanguard line.

Nice shooting Fin. Can't wait to see them in action. :)

Bought my son one in .270. I personally don't like the squared off front stock design on it, but he does, :rolleyes: Once I found the ammo it liked, federal by the way, it was/is a tack driver. No complaints from a number of critters.

Dang, that is some kind of shooting. Must admit, the groups from my hunting rifles spread out a bit more than that. Very nice shooting Fin.

A month ago, I won one at the local MDF banquet. I am too sentimental to leave Mad Max in the closet so I sold it 3 days later. As little of time that I had it I really liked the 3 position safety and the action was really nice.

Looks like I should have kept it.

Do you "Break in' the barrel? If so what is your procedure?

Great roup Fin but I dont know if the matchking bullet was developed for a hunting bullet.Not trying to steer you away from it but it could give you troubles on game.

I still think Big Fin should make a bonus reel/movie clip (30 seconds) of a prarie dog getting capped from long range with a Federal Ammunition round. He should use his 308. I'm guessing the Federal sponser would like it as well.

I have never shot one but if they do indeed make the Vanguard action I have shot one of those and was satisfied. I know we have a camoed out Howa in 300 Mag coming in for our RMEF banquet in a couple weeks. I'll get a chance to check it out before we open the doors and I'm sure I'll throw some money down trying to win it.

Back