PEAX Equipment

Looking for pack-out services in western Montana

daltrix99

Hey folks. Hunting plans are expanding to bigger and tougher country every year. We shot and packed a cow out of one of our spots last fall, and even that was pretty brutal. As we go deeper, we want to explore our options for hiring outfitters/packers to come get our animals. We do not need drop-camp services, just the meat/hide/antler extraction.

Can anyone here recommend either specific outfits who offer this service, and/or a site where I can browse options? We are based and hunt in western Montana and eastern Idaho, several of the wilderness areas.

Thanks all!

Sorry about that. Any outfitter based in the triangle of Missoula, Bozeman, and Idaho Falls should be within reasonable range. Thanks.

Yeah I mean that's always been the game and we will continue to do so. As those miles add up, calling someone on the garmin to come get a couple of elk sure would be nice!

Understand where you're coming from. The localities you mentioned span multiple forests, and generally outfitters are only permitted to operate on one forest, or even district. Outfitters also seem to not be very into drop camps or one way pick ups, it's not as profitable as having clients.

1. Determine what national forest/ranger district you’ll be hunting in.
2. Find out which outfitters are permitted to operate in those areas.
3. Call the outfitters to find out which, if any, offer packing services.

I think you’ll be disappointed in how many you find that offer this.

Just rent a couple of pack horses ahead of time. Little time on the phone you can find a local ranch that will rent, if close enough many will even drop off at arranged trailheads. All of this is for a cost but likely only packing service your going to find is yourself.

You will likely not find this service outfitters are covered up during the season with fully guided clients for the most part. On top of that if you do find one beware you will most likely be put on the back burner list if they have time. Just not worth the time and money for them.

1. Determine what national forest/ranger district you’ll be hunting in.
2. Find out which outfitters are permitted to operate in those areas.
3. Call the outfitters to find out which, if any, offer packing services.

I think you’ll be disappointed in how many you find that offer this.
Thanks I'll do this, with low expectations

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back