Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Planning my first western hunt for mule deer in Montana

As first timers, the thought of also getting elk tags was too daunting. We didn't want to bite off more than we could chew, so to speak. Originally, I thought that my 7mm-08 wouldn't be a big enough caliber for elk but I was surprised to see Mr. Newberg say that he uses a 7mm-08 for elk.

We were worried about what to do if we killed one (or two). We've quartered plenty of whitetails, but never in the field. It's really easy when you can string them up on a gambrel. We were a little concerned about properly quartering such a big creature on the ground with no one to show us what to do. Mostly, we were very concerned about trying to pack out a significant amount of weight. What little we know about western hunting tells us that we need to get as far from the road as we can if we want to see game. Neither of us have any experience with long hikes with frame packs and heavy loads and were concerned that we might get either lose meat or get ourselves hurt by trying to overdo it.

Also, we are trying to make this happen as cheap as possible and the $400 increase in cost would be a significant burden on our budgets.

Ultimately, I don't think we will be kicking ourselves if we see an elk. I think we will be tickled pink and would enjoy the opportunity to watch such majestic creatures in their natural habitat. I really hope we do see elk and I doubt we would have much regret about not getting a tag. Mostly, it would just motivate us to come back next year with an elk tag!

We thought about getting a white tail doe tag. However, it seems crazy to spend $80 to shoot one whitetail doe when we can kill one doe per day for the entirety of our 2 1/2 month deer season at home in Alabama. (a few bucks and over 70 does possible for less than $30) Neither of us are particularly interested in black bear, but I will probably get a wolf license when they go on sale. I grew up shooting coyotes and would love the opportunity to take a wolf.

It may seem like I'm not taking people's advice, but do I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I gotchya. I actually shot my first elk with a 7mm 08. Great caliber! Well good luck with the deer anyway and enjoy the scenery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back