Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana \ Wyoming Archery Guide Recomendations

Eprevost_tec

Two years ago, a good friend and I did a DIY hunt in Montana. It was a great experience, however one big lesson we learned was that despite all the research we did on elk ecology and the unit we were hunting, the mountains in Montana are nothing like our home hunting grounds of Ontario Canada. Further, hunting elk is not like hunting any big game here in eastern Canada.

I really want to take advantage of a week of learning under the tutelage of an experienced guide. Unfortunately I have not been getting much in terms of valualbe responses from outfitters.

I have generally been getting two types of responses from guides. The first comes from highly recommended outfitters, which is no response. No reply to emails, or phone messages.

The second comes from "larges and well advertised outfits" which provide me the standard brochure and are pushing for a deposit before any of my questions get answered. Sure they provide references, but all of the references I call all harvested their dream elk. I want to talk to those that did not harvest.

While I fully value the lessons learned on a DIY hunt, the time commitment to drive west (4 days total) and the huge learning curve are big challenges and do take away from the enjoyment somewhat.

I have come across Stockton Outfitters and really like the archery hunts that they propose.

Does any one have an archery guide or outfitter that they would recommend, or have a reasonable honest story about a good experience they have had with a good outfitter that they would recoment.

I am not looking to start a "lets bash guides and outfitters" thread, or look for opinions on whether or not to use a outfitter. I have already read those threads and struggled with the decision for the past year and a half.

Any help folks are willing to provide would be much appreciated.

Just my opinion: guides are for access nothing more. I know several "guides" who are just locals with horses that use a week of vacation from there real job to be a guide. It might be there only time on that mountain all year! If you looking to learn more there are better resources and usually getting in better shape help diy hunters.

Anyone have any feedback on Stockton Outfitters.

Looking to pull the trigger on an archery hunt with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back