Caribou Gear

Looking for lodging SE MT

Flambow5

Greetings to all! First post
I'm looking for lodging in SE MT for our first public land mule deer hunt
4 mature males (unless we are talking Green Bay Packers !)
And any other helpful info you will offer.

Thanks

There are motels in Broadus and one in Ashland. They fill up quick during hunting season.
The Forest Service rents out a Cabin at Whitetail camp ground and the Diamond Butte lookout. You have to be reserving them early in the morning of the first day the forest service takes applications in order to have a chance at a date during hunting season.
There are some private people that rent places for hunters. Most of them are booked with repeat customers but with tags no longer a guarantee there could be some openings. You might try an add in the Powder River Examiner. (The weekly Broadus newspaper) My bet is that they are fairly cheap.

Check out Miles City, and Hardin. Like has already been mentioned, I am sure hotels fill up fast...but at least there are a few options (more in Miles City if that is any where close to where you intend to hunt!)

Not what you asked.. but have you considered investing in a base camp setup? With 4 guys, you should be able to piece together a pretty nice camp for not a big investment per person. Might be worth consideration, especially if you plan on making these types of hunts a regular thing.

Not what you asked.. but have you considered investing in a base camp setup? With 4 guys, you should be able to piece together a pretty nice camp for not a big investment per person. Might be worth consideration, especially if you plan on making these types of hunts a regular thing.
^^^ This

Flambow
My group is headed out there this Nov. if the tags come through. It was tougher than I expected to find a place. We reserved rooms at Broadus motel, Sagebrush was full. Likely be some cancellations now that it's not a sure thing tag. Good luck

Problem with staying in a motel on a western hunt is that you may wind up an hour or more away from your hunting destination. Get's pretty tiring adding all of that unproductive driving in the dark on both ends of the hunting day.
I have all of the necessary gear now, but a couple different times we rented campers or a motorhome. Pulled a jeep with the motorhome. If you can do without hookups, you can camp just about anywhere and be close to your hunting area.

So another question, I'm assuming you can hunt on any BLM, start of MT and National forest? Looking on OnXHunt maps

So another question, I'm assuming you can hunt on any BLM, start of MT and National forest? Looking on OnXHunt maps

The lands you mentioned are indeed public lands, but they must be legally accessed......corner crossing troubles once again raising its possibility of ugly thread derailment.

Agree with 375HH, over an hour (in summer conditions) from Sheridan to huntable areas in the Custer area. Winding around the Tongue Reservoir takes some time and you don’t cross much public land until past Birney. And Hanging Woman Creek gets the piss hunted out of it, much like most of the national forest lands in SE MT, from my single year hunting there. There are several ongoing utility projects in SE/Eastern Montana this year, which is taking a lot of rooms for construction workers in Ekalaka, Baker, Glendive.

Figure at minimum 1 hour if you hit the correct dirt roads to the main hunting areas.
I would say to make it to the Custer in and hour you had better have 10 ply tires as you will be moving fast.

And you will not want to drive in the day light. Will give you extremely unrealistic expectations of what the hunting is like on the Custer

I would say to make it to the Custer in and hour you had better have 10 ply tires as you will be moving fast.

And you will not want to drive in the day light. Will give you extremely unrealistic expectations of what the hunting is like on the Custer
Meaning ? Why not drive in during day ? Big deer on private on way in ?

I'd say with the explosion of hunters in that area, Hyatt, Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons should take note and built suitable accommodations in Ashland or there about. 5 star accommodations for 2 point bucks. Get It!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back