Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Looking for input on WY in light of the license decrease.

MT_Fin

I would like to apply to WY this year and was hoping for input. I have 5 points, and would like to just have a quality hunt that I can share with my 11 year old son and hopefully have an opportunity at a representative buck. I know the decrease in tags will have an impact on chances, so I am also wondering if I should wait until next year or stay the course and still apply this year.

I have a friend in WY who recommended 89 and has a lot of experience in that unit, and it appears that I would need to do the special draw for a chance w/5pts. I’m willing to spend more for the special draw if necessary, but if I can get into a different good unit without the extra cost of the special draw then that is a plus.

I was also told to look at 77-2 by another acquaintance.

And yet another guy I know in WY recommended 73.

I am just looking for input on these units, or recommendations for other units to check into that I can draw with 5 pts.

We are after a fun a hunt and a good time, so I am flexible on where we would go. Ive never hunted WY so I want to make a good choice burning 5 points.

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any help.

The new unit-by-unit quota changes are available on the WGF website. You can use that information to see if any of your desired units are seeing reductions and factor that in to your plans.

With five points and the special draw, you should be able to find somewhere to hunt and get your representative buck no problem. Your best bet will be aiming at a unit that's below what you could've gotten last year by a point or so and didn't see a major reduction in buck tags.

I would only consider waiting if you really want to stretch those five points, but there's no guarantee quotas return to 2020 levels in 2022, and with five points you should be able to find a decent hunt this year regardless.

As someone who is also applying in Wyoming this season, you are better off waiting. LOL, I kid. I was actually considering holding off myself once I saw the tag quotas come out, but with such a full schedule over the next few seasons I decided I better go for it.

There are tons of hunts you should be able to draw with 5 points in the special.

Apply, go for a longshot on first option, if you get it, great, if not, you don't burn the points.

it took me 11 points to draw 89 deer last year and although i got a deer ,,i didnt see anything that was worth 11 reg points,,id be suprized if you pulled 89 w 5 special,,also the access issues were a bit tight in unit 89 with the hma areas closed for deer.

it took me 11 points to draw 89 deer last year and although i got a deer ,,i didnt see anything that was worth 11 reg points,,id be suprized if you pulled 89 w 5 special,,also the access issues were a bit tight in unit 89 with the hma areas closed for deer.
What does that have to do with pronghorn?

it was not specified as unit 89 antelope??there are deer decreases also for wyoming.89 deer and 89 antelope are different areas.
True, it is posted in the pronghorn forum though. Regardless, I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back