Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Looking for DIY ideas , something different to hunt

Never got into hunting them with dogs. I like to still hunt through the woods looking and listening trying to get right in the middle of a sounder and then let the .22 Mag eat. Very satisfying to get rid of the things and wild pork loin is one heckuva bonus.

Some of those species in New Mexico sure sound intriguing.

I want to go after spring bear. Just haven’t wrapped my mind around sacrificing turkey hunting to do it.
Gotta love the loin

If you’re looking for something a little different and super fun/exciting come down to FL for an alligator hunt. It’s all done with primitive weapons (bow, harpoon, snatch hook) and you get up close and personal to some dinosaurs!

My ex. lives in VERO BEACH Fl. mabe we should drop in weith the new t.t. for a couple weeks !! 'gator nuggets and jerkey ain't my favorite but I bet there are some good 'Cajun ''recipies that would spice it up..........then there are the ''big-snakes'' and cash $$$
for them........now THATS something different.IMG_0163.JPG

Unfortunately my wife does not hunt and Im pretty sure if I tried to set something up in Hawaii she would want to go along on that one. I think the conflict of our interest in being in Hawaii would mess the whole hunt part up. It does sound like a good time
If you’re looking for something a little different and super fun/exciting come down to FL for an alligator hunt. It’s all done with primitive weapons (bow, harpoon, snatch hook) and you get up close and personal to some dinosaurs!
I did this last year. I would recommend it at least once 👍

I would also recommend diy caribou in Ak. That’s a super fun hunt. I did diy Hawaii axis deer and brought the wife she was just happy to be there 😂 I wouldn’t cross that one off your list either. Helps if you know local landowner if going diy in Hawaii. I’ve never done Aoudad but I am planning on it. That looks like a great hunt

Red rider and the trophies were the brown flying ones that made a snapping noise as they flew. Also shot flies off mom and dads wooden fence until dad was mowing and noticed all the bbs in the wood. Had a tough time sitting down for a while after that one
There is one old pitch pine post in the corral were I grew up. A few years ago I was replacing the boards and noticed a pellet embedded in the post. Wonder how that got there. Hard to say what the intended target was. Most likely a starling that was looking to clean up some grain in the feed bunks, but it could have been just about anything that moves.

I live in Iowa and have hunted whitetails all my life. I have hunted elk, black bear over bait, hogs, and an assortment of small game. Most everything with a compound bow or muzzle loader. And I bass fish often
Well...there's plenty of water and plenty of wma's split by water.

Figure out a species to hunt and fish, beg borrow or buy a boat, float away!

I'll be doing that this fall again, going to try to hit all major interiors east of 35, north of 80, and trying to do as many species as I can from squirrel to whitetail., sunfish to trout.

Last edited:
Well...there's plenty of water and plenty of wma's split by water.

Figure out a species to hunt and fish, beg borrow or buy a boat, float away!

I'll be doing that this fall again, going to try to hit all major interiors west of 35, north of 80, and trying to do as many species as I can from squirrel to whitetail., sunfish to trout.
I live in that same area and will be hunting and fishing there as often as possible this fall as well

I live in that same area and will be hunting and fishing there as often as possible this fall as well
That makes 3 of us.
crap yall, i meant east of 35 not west, Freudian slip...either way i typically hit all areas except the bible belt, or what @BrentD more than likely knows as Kings old district. main reasons i dont hit that area is it has nothing for me the rest doesnt, and if im going that far or swia far, ima keep on going cross the missouri or its my 10-15 years living on the outskirts of the metro (story-polk-dallas-warren-marion-jasper) and i have no want for the metro.

well, except for goldies every now and then, a duchess princess (pizza) from georges. yall can have it, we'll keep it a hawkeye state.

Either way, let me know if you are looking for a set of eyes for something specific on this quadrant of the state (NEIA)

I think this air gun joking is worth consideration. DIY hogs or deer with an air rifle!!? https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/most-powerful-air-rifle/
I have heard stories about these new powerful PCP air rifles in larger calibers then the old air rifles I grew up with. Some guys are sinking thousands into an air rifle set up. Personally for me the most important thing is rapid recovery of whatever I shoot so stepping down in weapon caliber or capability sounds like risking wounding an animal and possibly not recovering it if the game being shot is on the fringe of being the max of the rifle’s capabilities. Hogs are tough critters with tough hides, big bucks can be. I see the draw if a quieter rifle but typically it should be one shot and game over, not counting a possible follow up shot if the situation allows. I remember an old man once said, A shooter likes to see how far away he can be and still make a good shot but a true hunter likes to see how close he can get to his prey before he shoots it. I’ve seen a lot of videos where guys are attempting long range shots on game only to miss entirely of make a questionable shot on it. Taking a weapon that is more than capable of doing the intended job at hand will always be my preference and never pushing the limits to see if it is enough gun to do the job. But to each there own. We all have to live with ourselves after the trigger is pulled. I have lost wounded animals so I know how it feels, hunting big game with a PCP air rifle just seems to me like pushing the boundries a little to much for what they are intended.

Try Africa. Six thousand can still buy four animals, including air fare. Not DIY but a good PH can enhance the experience. It's different.
20220828_110857.jpg20220828_072313.jpg20220827_130121.jpg

There are 3 DIY places that I have returned to multiple times.
Hawaii
New Zealand
Alaska
All 3 can be done cheap, I am far from rich. Where there's a will, there's a way.
This year I'm doing something different and more expensive but still not bad. I will be driving to Alaska rather than flying for free. Going to do the Haul Road caribou hunt and waterfowl on the way home through Canada.
The drive though bc and the yukon should be on everyone's bucket list.

How much time do you have?
Load the truck up and point it north. Don’t stop til you hit Deadhorse. Turn it around and hunt caribou on the way back to Fairbanks. If you carry a shotgun you can probably get a bird or two in the right area to flush out your meals.
Take a fishing pole too, a guy could just about survive on fish North of Mexico if he don’t mind trout and grayling. If you don’t catch a fish, shoot a bird or take a caribou it will still be the best month of your life.

How much time do you have?
Load the truck up and point it north. Don’t stop til you hit Deadhorse. Turn it around and hunt caribou on the way back to Fairbanks. If you carry a shotgun you can probably get a bird or two in the right area to flush out your meals.
Take a fishing pole too, a guy could just about survive on fish North of Mexico if he don’t mind trout and grayling. If you don’t catch a fish, shoot a bird or take a caribou it will still be the best month of your life.
I know a guy who got jammed up by a trooper alleging they rifle hunted within 5mi of the Haul Rd. The party hiked in five miles and then hiked meat back five miles. The trooper met them at the truck then snowmobiled an alt route where the road curved to the kill site <5mi. A year and several court appearances later, court fees paid, charges dropped, no license restrictions.

I know a guy who got jammed up by a trooper alleging they rifle hunted within 5mi of the Haul Rd. The party hiked in five miles and then hiked meat back five miles. The trooper met them at the truck then snowmobiled an alt route where the road curved to the kill site <5mi. A year and several court appearances later, court fees paid, charges dropped, no license restrictions.
That happens almost every year, almost always in the same 2 or 3 locations. In the OP was mentioned archery as an option and I failed to mention it in my response. There would also be issues with transporting equipment and game through Canada. Just like every trip to mcDonalds, you have to plan out your details( phone, keys, wallet, kids, etc). I enjoy the planning phase almost as much as the trips!
pay attention to any and all regulations and you should be fine.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back