Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Looking for DIY ideas , something different to hunt

Up until about 20 years ago all of my hunts were DIY and most of them were also solo. These DIY hunts were in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Alaska. Not counting birds and varmints, on solo DIY hunts I've killed mule deer, whitetail deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, black bears, Shiras moose, bighorn sheep, and a mountain goat.

Here in America, just about everything can be hunted DIY. Hunting with a friend can be easier with sharing the work and you have someone to talk to in camp, but basically all you need is to get the tag and go.

We are hoping to do DIY style, something in big game preferably
The waterfowl field hunting is about as close to DIY as guided can be. I was talked into a SK guided hunt a few years back to fill in for someone who dropped out of a party at last minute. The guide dropped us off with decoys and layout blinds in the morning. He had recorded calls which is legal. Just turn on and off as needed. No dogs neccessary for field hunting. Then he picked us up when we called. My dogs were in the Jimmy and cleaned up any loose cripples when we had a break in the action.

I have great goose hunting twenty minutes from my house but my best day here doesn't compare to a crappy day out there. Unbelievable. Yeah, I have shot a pile of big game over the years but it just doesn't compare to bird hunting. 1000% more action. Nothing like wasting years and $$$ piling up points for nonresident license, drive across the continent to take a stab in the dark hunting a strange place, only to drive back home after a week having never seen anything to shoot at. I'm also a pheasant hunting junkie but that requires a good dog, good physical condition, and some knowledge of the terrain and game. On the other hand, I would say anyone who spent an afternoon and a couple boxes of shells with a coach at a trap range would be good to go for Canadian prairies goose hunting. Its not that hard when thousands of geese are trying to land on top of the shooter. Nothing fancy needed for equipment. 3" twelve gauge 870 or Mossberg 500 pump would kill birds just fine.

If you’re interested on DIY bear hunt in northern Ontario I can pre bait for you with a place to stay
reasonable price

Pronghorn it is then. Total blast to hunt, numerous stalks per day, see lots of animals, learn to understand a new species, and they are the best tasting game meat if taken care of properly in the field and they weren't going full tilt when killed. Also very addicting.

View attachment 268391
No need to be guiding
DIY perfect legal
Please understand that it wasn’t my intent to bust balls, don’t care about provincial law. I just cannot pass up opportunities to use a TPB meme.

Meanwhile, point of order here was DIY. So though this may not be a “guided hunt” in the purest sense, it would be a licensed bear operator baiting an area within a designated BMA and providing the non-resident hunter with proper documentation. The non-res could not DIY this all himself, just cannot happen per rule.

Please understand that it wasn’t my intent to bust balls, don’t care about provincial law. I just cannot pass up opportunities to use a TPB meme.

Meanwhile, point of order here was DIY. So though this may not be a “guided hunt” in the purest sense, it would be a licensed bear operator baiting an area within a designated BMA and providing the non-resident hunter with proper documentation. The non-res could not DIY this all himself, just cannot happen per rule.
That’s why I’m trying to help a fellow hunter out if is interested
on the hunt, this is the only way can be done
I can provide him with the proper documentation and hi’s good to go
on hi’s own, if this isn’t something that he is not interested not problem
good luck

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover