Looking for DIY ideas , something different to hunt

Sharp stick

I’m not getting any younger, and there are many hunts I have not tried. My friends and I are typically DIY. I am looking for any ideas of fun hunts that maybe I have not thought of or tried yet, maybe even a combo hunt with more than one species? Bow, rifle, muzzleloader, doesn’t matter. Something still available to get lined up for this season. What are your suggestions? Anyone had any good hunts that fit this bill in recent years?

I’m not getting any younger, and there are many hunts I have not tried. My friends and I are typically DIY. I am looking for any ideas of fun hunts that maybe I have not thought of or tried yet, maybe even a combo hunt with more than one species? Bow, rifle, muzzleloader, doesn’t matter. Something still available to get lined up for this season. What are your suggestions? Anyone had any good hunts that fit this bill in recent years?
Bear, turkey combo - hunt turkeys in the morning and bear in the evenings . I’ll leave the location search to you.

Javelina in Arizona or New Mexico or Texas. Can be combined with quail and rabbit hunting. It can be combined with a hog hunt as well if you're in Texas.

My personal favorite is spot and stalk and/or hear and stalk feral hogs. It can be action packed. There have been several times that I have taken half a dozen in a hunt. Could be easily combined with deer or even squirrels and rabbits.
I have been on several pig hunts, only 1 was not out of a blind. We used Curr type hound dog to locate them before the guide released the pit bull, it was fast action once they were located. Once the pit bull got a hog in his grip in a knee deep pond I had to wade in and slit the hogs throat. I was younger then, I am a little wiser now. I don’t think I would do that one again even though it was very fast action. Hog hunting is fun but I’m looking for something different this time. Thanks for the suggestion though, if you have any other ideas send them my way.

Aoudad was my first thought too.

Spring bear is really fun/cool if you’ve never done it. Watching bears graze like beefs.
Spring Bear is on my short list, I can’t do that this year as I have elbow surgery scheduled on 3-28 that will slow me down for pretty much all of April plus some. I am thinking for the fall, and only if I don’t draw Az elk.

I have been on several pig hunts, only 1 was not out of a blind. We used Curr type hound dog to locate them before the guide released the pit bull, it was fast action once they were located. Once the pit bull got a hog in his grip in a knee deep pond I had to wade in and slit the hogs throat. I was younger then, I am a little wiser now. I don’t think I would do that one again even though it was very fast action. Hog hunting is fun but I’m looking for something different this time. Thanks for the suggestion though, if you have any other ideas send them my way.

Never got into hunting them with dogs. I like to still hunt through the woods looking and listening trying to get right in the middle of a sounder and then let the .22 Mag eat. Very satisfying to get rid of the things and wild pork loin is one heckuva bonus.

Some of those species in New Mexico sure sound intriguing.

I want to go after spring bear. Just haven’t wrapped my mind around sacrificing turkey hunting to do it.

Back