Looking for a 308… Maybe

With all of the 308 ammo available on the shelves relative to anything else I am seriously considering buying one. Anyone have any recommendations. My thoughts are a lighter rifle, 18-20” barrel, threaded. After that I’m not super picky but curious everyone’s thoughts. My browning xbolt long range with a 26” barrel gets ridiculously long and barrel heavy when I put the suppressor on it. It is also over scoped for any close quarter hunting with a 6x24 on it. So looking at a do all gun. Let me hear your ideas.
Iv been thinking the same thing in getting a 308. Yes not the best in ballistics but gets the job done. I have a suppressor and want to use it so short barrel. I can get a barrel threaded for under $100 hopefully even half that. A Savage AXIS 110 Ruger America Winchester XPR and Tika is what I am looking at

Iv been thinking the same thing in getting a 308. Yes not the best in ballistics but gets the job done. I have a suppressor and want to use it so short barrel. I can get a barrel threaded for under $100 hopefully even half that. A Savage AXIS 110 Ruger America Winchester XPR and Tika is what I am looking at
Go with the Tikka and don't ever look back.

82BA8CFB-F5AD-4E8B-B92A-E1364B03ADC4.jpeg
It’s all put together! Now I need range time!

Go with the Tikka and don't ever look back.
Could be true. Have heard nothing but good about Tikka for the $. Though I do have A Savage Axis in 243 and 6.5 CM that have been good to me so far. I do worry about how they will hold up in wet conditions as they have been known to rust up quickly I have heard.

My buddy who is definitely not a “gun guy” bought a Bergara .308 a couple of years back. I have been amazed at how accurate it is as I got it sighted in and worked up a load for him. I’m sure that you will be happy with the one that you bought.

Maybe you can let Cheese Pizza shoot an elk or muley with it once you get it setup :D

Bergara Wilderness Ridge on a Silencerco Hybrid 46 can ..Recoils like a .22-250 . Dont need the can for it really but is nice not wearing ear plugs. Sounds great surpressed too . Wilderness ridge sp. Love this gun . Shooting the Federal berger Hybrid Hunters so far and it shot under MOA .
C89C844C-D58C-4CDA-A5AC-B63363F95567.jpeg

Last edited:
There's a lot of different rifles that would fitt the bill. problen is often finding a store that has them where you live! So yqou are either stuck with what is around you or buy mail order and get something you know nothing about. I think most rifle's are pretty much the same unless they are designed for something special. Sporting goods stores simply cannot afford to carry everything! But then again they all probably have something that would work for you.

Now I got a Mossberg partiot with a wood stock in 243 just to fool with. Turned out I liked it so well I bought another in 308! Never fired anything but cast bullet's in the 308 but the 243 shoots much better than I though it would, next one might not but I haven't got there.

For me I have to like the way a rifle looks even before I pick it up. Then if I pick it up, I have to like the way if feels. And of course then there's cost. Might just find yourself in love with a rifle you actually can't afford, that where companys like Mossberg always fit in. Most the advantages of the other companys without the cost. And for me the last option is can I buy the rifle local. believe it or not, there are a lot of sporting goods store within a hundred miles of me and none of them carry everything! As for cartrigde I don't try to fool myself that reciol doesn't bother me, it sure does! Stop and really think about it and most likely if you choose your shot well and polace it well, a 250-3000 will do pretty much anything your 300 ear glesplittne louden boomer will do! The claim on a box of Federal 22LR's I have says dangerous to 1 1/2 miles. That's not to say any of us could hit what we aim at at that distance but if you could, the bullet would be dangerous! So for a cartridge, anything that trips your trigger will probably work if you can hit the target! There are, of course, advantages to different cartridges.

So buy a savage action, screw a barrel on it, hang a trigger and drop it into a chassis/stock.

Get the twist and chamber you want and a trigger much better than anything stock.

Bergara Wilderness Ridge on a Silencerco Hybrid 46 can ..Recoils like a .22-250 . Dont need the can for it really but is nice not wearing ear plugs. Sounds great surpressed too . Wilderness ridge sp. Love this gun . Shooting the Federal berger Hybrid Hunters so far and it shot under MOA .
View attachment 215191
I remember when I was young Mossberg and a few other's came out with adjustable chokes for their shotguns. Every body refered to them a potato's! I'm sorry but just can't help thinking that thing on the barrel looks like an old adjustable choke. having it that far forward, what does it do to balance? Must pull down on the front of the barrel some.

I remember when I was young Mossberg and a few other's came out with adjustable chokes for their shotguns. Every body refered to them a potato's! I'm sorry but just can't help thinking that thing on the barrel looks like an old adjustable choke. having it that far forward, what does it do to balance? Must pull down on the front of the barrel some.
Actually, hardly noticable. I shot my PH's rifle with suppressor when I was in Africa last time. They generally make rifles significantly longer which makes them awkward to carry in heavy cover, but I didn't find his to be terribly out of balance. Very pleasant to shoot.

I believe the shotgun "barrel booger" you're referring to was Cutts Compensator, not Mossberg. They reduced recoil and has different chokes. A helluva lot of classic shotguns were wrecked after Compensatots were installed. But

Not awkward at all with the 18 barrel .

Attachments

• 5C7118DE-4FB8-4637-96C1-27CD57E15C93.jpeg
    5C7118DE-4FB8-4637-96C1-27CD57E15C93.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
I skipped to the end on this thread, so forgive me if I missed a few things in the conversation. Anyway, I'll just add that you will not not be sad about getting a good .308 win. Mine is a standard, no bells and whistles Tikka T3X. I'm hunter, not a BR shooter, but it's been an exceptional hunting rifle for what I do.

Shot this bear with it 2 days ago:

IMG_20220614_130602718.jpg

Reactions: FLS
Back