Caribou Gear

Look what I found at 6700 feet...

I drew the Bridgers mule deer tag this year, so I headed out early yesterday morning and got up to one of my spots. After glassing for a while and seeing no deer, I packed up and started heading further up the ridge.

Below me, on the north slope of the ridge in the timber, I heard a branch break. There are elk in this area sometimes, so I cow called once, just to see what would happen.

About 30 seconds later, an antelope stepped out. It couldn't have been more than 30 yards away.

We didn't quite know what to make of one another. I kept hiking up the ridge and it wandered off down the other side, unconcerned by me.

Attachments

• lope1.jpg
    lope1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,104
It is not unusual to see antelope up there. I have seen antelope several times while elk hunting! It is weird seeing them in a timbered environment though. :)

I've witnessed pronghorn at 10,000 feet going over a wooded pass in Colorado. I would not have believed it if someone told me about it.

Funny. I saw an antelope buck on the top of Pennock Mountain in SE Wyoming one time while I was scouting for mule deer. He was at 8500 feet above sea level, with quite a lot of lodgepole between himself and the prairie.

I've seen antelope many times out in Wyoming on the ranch above where we normally hunt and it's over 7,500' up there.

Not high elevation, but there is a couple antelope East of Corvallis right now. Used to be three up near the Stockfarm. mtmuley

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back