Longest shot...?

JohnCushman

What's the longest shot you guys have ever taken and been successful on an animal? I practice out to 100 yards with my bow and have pins out to 80, but would only take that shot in perfect conditions. My furthest successful shot is 64 yards on an antelope buck. I practice out to 500 with my rifles in all weather conditions. My farthest successful shot with a rifle is 345 on a cow elk. I know alot of guys preach getting closer, but I feel that shooting long range poses a different kind of challenge, but a challenge none the less. When I can stalk close on an animal, I do get a rush from it, but I still enjoy my long range shooting too.

so is it about the hunting? or shooting? just like you guys out west don't get the way we hunt here in the midwest and east, don't get how shooting something at that distance is anything but shooting skills. but, if that's your thing, will back you 100%.

and to answer your question, 30 yards with the bow(buck checking out the doe decoy), and 140 with the shotgun.

I grew up hunting in upstate NY with a bow and slug gun with open sights and never took a shot more than 50 yards on an animal before I moved out west. I do understand, and respect, the shorter distance shooting of the East and Midwest. With most of my adult life being in the military and regularly shooting out to 300 yards with iron sights, I began to enjoy distance shooting. Granted, it's easier with a 18X scope, but I do enjoy the shooting aspect and working hand loads and practicing with my rifles. I got alot of goot instruaction from friends that were squad designated marksmen and snipers, and grew to love shooting even more the more I learned and got comfortable with it. And yes, there is a hunting aspect to long range shooting too.

I do stalk and make close range shot too...lol My closest bow shot was about 5 yards on a deer with my bow and 26 yards on a deer with my rifle and 12 yards with my old slug gun on a doe deer back in NY.

I've never killed an animal further than 30 yards. Gun or bow. There just aren't that many wide open spaces where I hunt. Everytime I travel, it's for an archery hunt, and I have yet to close the deal out West. I practice out to 80, but 40 is my limit, and 27 is furthest I've shot something with a bow.

Keep in mind, I shot traditional archery euipment exclusively until 3 seasons ago. You learn patience when 20 yards is your effective kill range.

I'd rather eat my tag than wound an animal.

I practice with my bow out to 50 yds but I have never shot anything past 40 yds.

With a rifle I have shot deer at 250 but that is certainly never a plan when starting my hunt.

Mule deer 440 yds...across a drainage, fairly level, 300 WSM...kneeling stoney point monopod rest.

Elk 330 yds...slightly downhill 300 WSM...he looked as big as a barn thru the 10x Conquest

2 other bulls 100 yds and less.

160 yds & under is average for Texas whiteys and hogs

Bow: 37 yards - whitetail buck, Rifle: 310 yards - whitetail buck
I've shot a few woodchucks over 400. Shortest with bow was a doe at 5 yds and with rifle I shot a buck at about 12 yds.

I have only hunted and taken a shot out of MN one time and had a big 21 yard shot on a cow elk with archery gear and she piled up within 40 yards. Of all the animals I shot in MN my longest archery shot/attempt is under 30 yards. With black Powder it would be 120 yards with the old style cap and black powder with a round ball. I practiced out to 100 a lot and new what the gun could do and the deer dropped within sight. With rifle 220. Dropped it in its tracks. For the most part I hunt really thick cover in MN as I find that where the deer are and seldom get shots with gun or bow much beyond 30 yards.

Archery: 53yds, Whitetail Doe, my only spot and stalk kill on a WT in MN

Rifle: 312yds Mule Deer (438yds Coyote)

Under the right circumstances I set my limits at 60yds with a bow and 400yds with a rifle. I regularly practice with my bow out to 80yds, to build confidence out to 60yds, but add some wind and it cuts my distance down to about 40yds quick. I really haven't had a circumstance where I had to push my effective range on the rifle.

Longest bow shot was 47 yards on a whitetail doe. I have switched back to stickbows now so I won't take a shot over about 20 yards. Rifle 265 yards pronghorn, pistol 203 yards pronghorn. I practice at much longer ranges but until Tuesday I was hampered in my long range shooting of rifles and pistols by lack of a good rangefinder. My Leica 1600-B came in Tuesday :)

Bob

Rifle cow elk 478
Bow Muley buck 54
I feel you hit it on the head with conditions being perfect and practicing to learn you effective range. I love getting close but knowing how your gun or bow shoots gives you opportunity.

Hey John...first and foremost thanks for your service....second here in the East as you know long shots rarely happen. MY longest shot on a deer was 140 yds 300 wsm. I practice shooting my bow out to 50 , its maks the closer shots a lay up. Here in the East I have never shot a deer(or any animal) with my bow more than 35 yds. :cool:

527 yds mule deer - 300 win mag.
834 yds ground hog - 6.5x284.
32 yds whitetail - bow
44 yds bullfrog (Boone & Croackett) - .22 (from a johnboat)

I got a bull down in Gunnison that was a short par 5 with a 30-06 BAR. Most shots have been between 50 to 150 yards on elk and deer. My wife bought me a NIKON 500 rangefinder so I can better judge a 250-300 shots.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back