Caribou Gear Tarp

Liver, Heart?

BB33

Always wanted to, but haven’t yet due to recommendations and opinions…What are your thoughts about keeping and eating the liver, heart, kidneys, tongue, or any other inners? I feel guilty leaving them behind in the past and with a cow elk hunt coming up, I’m considering trying it out; especially the liver! Thanks

Well, I used to save the Liver for the man across the street and he said he loved it. Last trip to Nebraska a man kept coming to the skinning shed to recover the Deer Tongues, said he always looked forward to deer season just for the tongues. Heart, I can see me cooking it although I have not done so in the past. Kidneys, maybe if ya boil the piss out of them. John

Heart is great, slice it 1/4 inch thick, dust in seasoned flour and pan fry. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy. Yummy! I leave the liver unless I have a friend that wants it.

deer, elk and other critters are designed the way they are for a reason, when you cut them open, and stuff falls out, you're not supposed to eat that stuff. Just my personal opinion, although I've eaten my fair share of liver, when I lived in my Mother's home. Now if I take the liver, it's with the express purpose of turning it into catfish. The tongue I might cut out and eat, but I'm the only one in the house eating it. My wife and child opt out. Growing up I hunted with a man who's first act upon hearing someone shot a deer was to get a saw after the skullcap for scrambled eggs and brains. Yeah, I passed on that delicacy.

The heart is exceptional! I prefer it sliced thin and tossed in flour then fried w/ chopped onions and smothered in caramelized onions.

We eat some liver the same way but it can be STRONG. Best to soak it in salt water/fresh water (alternating between the two) for a couple days. Sometimes I really enjoy it sometimes I put more ketchup on it....

Never heard of anybody eating kidneys, tongue or "other innerds" :eek:.

I love the heart out of the local blacktail bucks. I would like to try the tounge some day. Any idea on how to cook them?
Jay

I've saved a few hearts in the past but finally got around to cooking one this year. It was good and will probably eat more if I have time to cook them when they are fresh.

I always cut the tongue out but that's just to get better photos. :)

I normally use the gutless method so I don't have to deal with the insides.

i love heart, the dish chicken fried steak is based on the same prep method used on hearts. Liver is great! A native friend I've hunted with several times likes to eat it raw while it's still warm. I cook mine though raw it's not bad.

I am a huge fan of nose to tail eating i don't like to waste things i know are edible.

We eat the heart and liver while its fresh,usually the same day its taken,my mom used to stuff the heart and bake it,she really liked it that way.

I like to beer batter and deep fry the heart in slices. I also love liver!! Sometimes I'll wrap pieces in bacon and grill it, but it's also great just pan fried with onions and peppers. I've had elk tongue and it wasn't too bad on sandwiches with some spicy brown mustard. It's my personal belief that it's disrespectful to the animal to leave behind anything that can be eaten.

If we take an animal that we know that we can get the liver and heart back, to camp quick, we do. Was always how we grew up. Dad cooked his last liver and onions for us three years ago in my wife's travel trailer when he was 89. I had a mess to clean up afterward though. Flour and stuff all over the place. Luckily got to it while he was out at the campfire having a touch of scotch. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Liver? I damaged mine last night.
But I have eaten heart, and it is good but chewy. I just sliced it and pan fried with onions, I have had it pickled, it was ok

Humans were a lot healthier when we ate offal, they're some of the best parts of the animal and the only excuse not to eat them is that you suck at cooking.

Putting liver or heart into a brine is a great way to help season it, even better for liver is a soak in buttermilk.

After our two elk this fall we had heart and tongue tacos each night in camp. Had some squashed seasoned with chipotle to add and some salty crispy squash seeds roasted on the fire for some crunch.

2012-10-22195228.jpg

If you ever want to get the most of your animal check out this book. We waste far too much of the game we kill for the effort we put into it each year.

http://www.amazon.com/Odd-Bits-Cook-Rest-Animal/dp/158008334X

Back